Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger class questions

bcp

I've enjoyed reading the various threads on those who have attended Ben's classes.  I have all of his printed and DVD materials but would like to take his classes at some point.  A little background on me...lifetime shooter but just beginning in USPSA.  

If you had to pick 1 class with Ben, which would you start with and why?  Fundamentals or Skills & Drills?  How many of you have repeated his classes, how close together, and what was your experience with that?

I'm sure any of his classes would give me plenty of feedback to work on for a long time.  Thanks in advance for your replies.

I've taken his Fundamentals class. Ben recommends "beginners" start in the Fundamentals class. He says the Skills & Drills class for people that practice a good amount. His classes aren't necessarily built for absolute beginners.

I'd personally recommend to dedicate as much time as you can to working through the books and DVD. May be a good idea to follow his training routine in the back of the book for a couple months first. This way you can get to an efficient level and then when you go to Ben he can tell you what you really need to focus on. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm doing all of that with his materials and I'm no stranger to hard work and practice.  

I won't be taking a class soon.  I would anticipate signing up for something in 8-12 months but I'm asking the question now as his classes fill up early.  

Thanks for the replies.  I found this on Ben's document for setting up classes...

For a Practical Shooting Fundamentals class, I cap the class at 12 students. I only accept people who have been in the sport long enough to be classified (unless they get prior approval from me).

For a Practical Shooting Skills and Drills class I cap the students at 8. The drills in these classes are more complicated and the round count is higher. Generally, I want all the students in this class to be a solid B class or higher, and to have taken the Practical Shooting Fundamentals class. 

I'm glad you asked this question because I was looking at taking one of his classes in the future, most likely next spring if there is something closer to where I am. As it stands now, the closest class to me at any point this year is 8 hours away.

If I may ask, how long do the classes go each day? Are they two day classes or just two individual one day classes? (12 different people each day)

I just took the fundamentals class with Ben about a month ago.  It was two days.  Each day was from 8:00am to 5:00pm.  You are either shooting, reloading or resetting targets all day.  We went through about 1300 rounds in the two day period.  I would highly recommend the class.  

Fundamentals is a great place for M's to realize what they need to work on if they want to be a competitive M, or make GM.

We want to rush into running and gunning, but his fundamentals class will reveal weaknesses in a veteran shooter's game they didn't know they had.

As a beginner you should take Fundamentals.

As a veteran B through M, you should take Fundamentals. And add skills & drills if you the extra have time and money.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The man knows how to shoot and knows where to look for your flaws. He sees "little' details that can make a big improvement.

While fundamentals is beginner sounding, it is what will either may you or break you when advancing.  i was thinking of repeating it, but putting a kid into school.... saps the bank account.

More like a "fundamentals of tearing apart an apparently solid shooter" class.

I arrived as an A-class wondering how Ms and GMs were smoking me on some things. Couldn't see where the time was going.

I left fundamentals almost surprised that I was ever able to hit a target and with a list of things to clean up or totally overhaul.

Thats money well spent, right there.

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

I'm trying to get a class scheduled with him right now. A home live near NW AR and want to come?

Which class?  What location and approximate date?  

Just now, bcp said:

Which class?  What location and approximate date?  

Doing the fundemtals class. 

Rogers, AR

November 11-12.  

Waiting to hear back from him on finalizing the date. 

23 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Doing the fundemtals class. 

Rogers, AR

November 11-12.  

Waiting to hear back from him on finalizing the date. 

I am am out of KC but would be interested

On 6/28/2017 at 0:55 AM, GlockGuy1 said:

I host Ben annually and would probably recommend starting with the Fundamentals course.  It is not a Fundamentals of Shooting class, it is a Fundamentals of Action Shooting class.  You will gain a LOT from it.

Absolutely, I have taken the Fundamentals class twice and found it very helpful both times.  I would be happy to take it again sometime.

Each time before I took it I was at somewhat of a plateau in my progress.  Preparing for the class, taking the class,  then at home afterwords working on the areas pointed out by Ben definitely helped me rise past my plateau.

EricG

Edited by eric4069

7 hours ago, Foxj66 said:

I am am out of KC but would be interested

Unfortunately that date isn't gonna work after all. 

Edited by B_RAD

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started with the Fundamentals class last year, you will be amazed how much you take away from the class.  As others have mentioned, Ben does a great job looking at each individual shooter in the class and working on a list of things they can improve on.  Again, he is a no BS guy and will tell you how it is but I found that very helpful.  

Looking forward to the Skills & Drills class this year.  

I also have a class scheduled this year with him. I'm reading everybody's comments on how much you'll learn and so much to take away. This leads me to wonder, do people take notes during the 2 day course? Does he call you a retard or a dumbass if you pull out a piece of paper and a pen and jot down what he told you were doing wrong so you can go back and practice it later?