Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics for Action Pistol (Bianchi survey question)

If you guys have taken the Bianchi survey that Cole had mentioned during the match, there is a question about a Carry Optics division and your feelings. I had not really thought about it until now and i have mixed feelings. I generally am in favor of anything to bring in mew shooters to action pistol as most of them dont have $5000 to drop on a proper open gun, but im not sure how i feel about adding such a class. It feels like a junior varsity Open division (or covering up poor mechanics, of which i am guilty as well). What does everyone else think?

We already have an open modified division, it's just not recognized at Bianchi. Open Modified would be really close to Carry Optics.. except you don't have to use a slide ride optic and can have a compensator. No wings allowed. I don't know about a mover base. It was intended to draw in USPSA Open shooters.. how well has that worked? ;)

3.1.2 Open Modified Firearm - Any semi-automatic handgun or

revolver used in competition shall be serviceable and safe. If any pistol

is observed to be unserviceable or unsafe, it shall be withdrawn at the

request of the tournament director. The term “firearm” as used in

these rules includes anything attached, permanently or temporarily, to

the pistol. Wings are prohibited. All standard safety features of guns

must operate properly.

Similar to the USPSA arguments, Carry Optic guns are legal in Open, or Open Modified. Shoot them there. I don't feel it will increase local participation, or numbers at the Cup. Just because someone can't shoot a 1900 with a Glock and slide mounted dot doesn't mean we should create a division for them. We have classifications for that type of thing.

I would be open to the discussion of updating the Open Modified rules. No mover base, no wings. Any red dot mount on any firearm.

Email Beth Martin. She is working on compiling the 2016 competitors, but it was initially sent to the 2017 competitors.

edit - I'll PM you the survey ink

Edited by DWFAN

Im wondering just how much it would dilute a field that is already pretty one sided. At the smaller events, Production and Metallic are already in the minority by a lot vs open. Would carry optics (or open modified) change the open field, or take people from the production/metallic field?

Most open shooters would probably view it as a step down, where production, maybe metallic might view it as a step up. Some would not go there because it's not shot in the Bianchi Cup and they are practicing for that.

I am all for this.  Those of us with older eyes would welcome the division.  Additionally, NRA AP has relatively low participation among the competitive shooting community and has very few match venues.  The resources required to build an open gun configuration that is suitable for this one sport alone is a serious commitment, particularly if there are no local venues to practice and compete.  Open Modified never caught on as USPSA/IPSC open guns are tuned for major power factor, and crossing over from USPSA with existing equipment would require retuning and working up suitable loads.  This effort would be worthwhile only if the shooter had the time and interest to do it, and the venue to participate in without conflicting with USPSA matches.  The USPSA carry optic division is already minor power factor, and would open up the sport to more crossover shooters as the optic would lend itself much better to the accuracy requirements of NRA AP without the expense and equipment specialization required for open division.

The biggest impediment to NRA AP is not the gun it is places to shoot locally.  we don't have a local club any more as they stopped shooting and sold their mover to a club in OKC.

Range equipment is the biggest problem.  I saw that this was a problem and have developed a line of products for clubs to get into NRA AP for a reasonable cost.

All,

As previosly listed, NRA AP already has a Division like this, Open Modified, the classified competitors in the Division is already low that is why it was removed from the National Championship.

The NRA Competitions Division has so many other problems to fix, trying to grasp straws is not going to work.  I do like that they are asking competitors, that is a sure sign that Dennis Willing is gone. 

In my mind, this is what the NRA Competition needs to do:

1.  Make Beth Martin the National Pistol Manager, she is more than qualified and will look after the sport & the competitors.

2.  Give sponsorship back to the Pistol Department, this should include Bianchi & Camp Perry, the NRA is only soliciting cash sponsors, so they can distribute the money to the General Fund & give 5% to Woody Arenas, he is NOT motivated to help the competitors in any way, only himself.

3. Give Media solicitation back to the Pistol Department, if you want anything to grow it needs coverage, media is not going to show up unless they are invited, you want sponsors, you have to have media.

4.  Change the members of the Action Pistol & Pistol Committee's immediately, make them competitors, not people that want to be NRA Board Members or President of the NRA. The majority of the current committee members let Dennis Willing destroy the Pistol Department & the Bianchi Cup, they are NOT your friends.

If the new Director really wants to help the pistol department & the shooting sport, he will listen to the competitors, Cole is a good guy but he has a lot of wounds to heal that Dennis Willing created.

I wish all of you luck, you are going to need it & its a shame its that way.

Tom...