Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remove Shadow 2 Mag Release Screw

StewartP

Hi Guys,

First I would like to apologize if his question has been asked a 1000 times before, I did search the forum thread but could not find anything.

Being a left handed shooter I'm trying to swap the mag release to the other side of my CA Shadow 2, unfortunately I'm unable to remove the mag release screw, I've read that its staked but I cannot find any good information on how to remove the screw.

It would be a huge help if anyone has some advice or can recommend the best way to remove the screw without damaging the gun or the screw?

Cheers,

Peter.

I bought a screwdriver set with multiple tips and it had the correct T tip. I 'think it's t-6. Not sure though. Anyway. I was able to rotate it a few turns and it was enough to lift it and rotate it to the different positions.

• 1 year later...

STOP! Reversing the mag catch for lefties basically requires taking the pistol ( most of the internals) apart.

it is no simple task and I strongly advise you to take it to a pro gunsmith.

Just went through this myself. It is NOT simple. If not done right, you will have mag malfunctions like mags won’t feed, or won’t drop, or will drop accidentally while firing as your right palm presses against the catch.

T.

Edited by TPM
Refined

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 7:29 AM, TPM said:

STOP! Reversing the mag catch for lefties basically requires taking the pistol ( most of the internals) apart.

Just went through this myself. It is NOT simple. If not done right, you will have mag malfunctions like mags won’t feed, or won’t drop, or will drop accidentally while firing as your right palm presses against the catch.

T.

I am having just this issue of mags not dropping, TPM, as a lefty as well. The release was allegedly reversed either by the importer himself or his nominated gunsmith...which is why I find your comment "if not done right" kinda disturbing lol

I have noticed that the left mag release side (supposedly flush with the frame) is in fact slightly below the level of the trigger guard when a mag is inserted, making it even less likely to be able to drop free.

)

On 6/21/2017 at 12:15 AM, Richc2048 said:

Oh. Gotcha. I read it wrong. Yea. Put a good flat head on it like posted earlier and crank it. My S2 had a thread lock on it.

RE: the mag release tab screw 

They must have used a lot of thread locker on mine. Even with the correct bit, I still stripped the screw head out before the screw was removed. Luckliy, it was out just enough that I could get ahold of it with a pair of small vice grips. It was a tough bitch literally till the very last thread when it finally came out. It was either some badass thread locker or it was cross threaded by who ever initially built the gun. I’ll try to locate a new screw somewhere. 

Edited by Trevor300wsm

8 hours ago, Trevor300wsm said:

RE: the mag release tab screw 

They must have used a lot of thread locker on mine. Even with the correct bit, I still stripped the screw head out before the screw was removed. Luckliy, it was out just enough that I could get ahold of it with a pair of small vice grips. It was a tough bitch literally till the very last thread when it finally came out. It was either some badass thread locker or it was cross threaded by who ever initially built the gun. I’ll try to locate a new screw somewhere. 

Everyone I know that has tried to remove that screw have either stripped it or had a b**ch of a time getting it off.

I believe that screw is staked at the factory.   I know my old TS was staked. When going to remove it you need a proper gunsmith screw driver that will fit the slot perfectly. Keep constant downward pressure on the driver while backing out the screw.  If the screw does not appear to be staked it will have some sort of thread lock.  When removing a screw with thread lock you should use a soldering iron first to heat up the thread lock to make the removal of the screw easier. Swapping the mag release is not hard so long as you remember these principles. When putting the mag screw back in you should either re-stake the screw or apply some loctite.  

That screw IS staked (and possibly locktited)....I researched all over and the BEST advice was:  Use a socket drive with a good fitting blade on it, press down hard while cranking on it, it WILL come (the extra torque leverage from the socket drive makes a world of difference).....So I tried it and that screw just came unfastened really easily...........I applaud the person who I had gotten this tip from as I could not remove it any other way without stripping the head on it and then being forced to unconventional means such as a stripped screw removal tool which would have left me without a screw to put back in and very frustrated

Edited by race1911

I think people are talking about two different screws here. Some of us are referring to the Torx head screw that holds the mag release tab on. This is the one I had hell with. I think others are referring to the flat head screw on the opposite side of  of the mag release tab. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:29 PM, TPM said:

T.

You don't need to take the sear cage or anything else out to change the mag catch, you just take the screw out, move the magazine release spring, and then can slide the stop out and flip it or put a different one in. 

Also, IMO if you are shooting a CZ in competition you should know how to full take it down because the trigger return spring is a relatively common breakage item and it would be silly to pay a gunsmith to install a $7 part. It's really not the complicated, especially for the safety models. All you need to completely take down the 75 series are 3/32" and 1/16" punches and a slave pin for the sear cage. 

14 hours ago, Trevor300wsm said:

I think people are talking about two different screws here. Some of us are referring to the Torx head screw that holds the mag release tab on. This is the one I had hell with. I think others are referring to the flat head screw on the opposite side of  of the mag release tab. 

I believe the screw he was referring to taking out is the flat head Magazine Catch Spring Screw inside the lower that holds the magazine catch  spring and also the trigger bar spring in place  (and yes, that Torx head screw that holds the tab on the mag release is ALSO a real pain in the ass to remove)

Edited by race1911

• 1 year later...

I figured it out so just wanna share with my experience here. The first time when I tried to remove the screw, I didn't know it was loctited. I stripped it. After stripping it I tried different kinds of extractors, drilling, etc, and I ended up with completely messed up the mag release. So I bought an OEM mag release for $35 and started over. This time I used a heat gun and a good T10 screw driver that fit very well with the screw. Wiggle your screw driver over the screw and feel how much free space there is. I originally used an Amazon Basic screw driver set and I also tried Amartisan screw drivers set. Both are bad. In the end I found that Wheeler gunsmithing screwdriver set fit the screw very well. Very little wiggle room. So, use the heat gun and heat the mag release for 2-3 mins, and then WHILE HEATING IT, use the T10 size driver head to slowly turn. Apply good amount of pressure downward so that the teeth are tightly engaged. The screw actually came out with little effort. Don't stop heating the mag release or let it cool down. With high temperature the loctite inside turns very soft. If you let it cool down, it could go back to the super glued state. That's pretty much it. Keep heating it and use the screw driver brand that fits with the screw very tightly. Good luck folks.