Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go Pro

sheepdog69

can anyone tell me the benefits of using a video camera during events to record your strings. Does it help in training , improvements etc..

what do you use , what do you recommend and if you could what would you buy now...

thanks

On person cameras are really only good for "did I actually forget to shoot that target?" And "what kind of jam did my gun have? Did I clear the jam the way I've tried to teach myself to?" ... kinds of things.

For analyinzg your reloads and movement and footwork and the like, it's far cheaper and easier to have a buddy film you from behind with a phone.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate the response , I see a lot of USPSA shooters with them on there carts or on there hats. The hat concept well that one doesn't really show benefit but the cart concept does. It's just like having your friend record you 

I bought one and clamp it to my cart, anything I find . I video my practices too. It has been a very valuable tool for me to analyze effeciency of movement in stages. Just like watching a GM shoot and trying to glean from them, I can watch my mistakes and rethink my stage planning ideas.

I also record the top shooters in my squad to later see how they planned out their stages and pick up ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

I use both my first person go pro and cell phone footage that friends take of me. The cell videos help with movements and body positioning. The go pro helps with what I was seeing at the time. I like comparing the two. Where was I in relation to walls, fault lines, and targets. What was I seeing when I was there. I find it a helpful tool. Plus I enjoy editing videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 9:57 AM, Bigbrowngmc said:

I use both my first person go pro and cell phone footage that friends take of me. The cell videos help with movements and body positioning. The go pro helps with what I was seeing at the time. I like comparing the two. Where was I in relation to walls, fault lines, and targets. What was I seeing when I was there. I find it a helpful tool. Plus I enjoy editing videos.

Good idea from both perspectives. I've only had videos of someone recording me. Comparing the two seems like it could be a great factor in seeing mistakes and fixing them. 

Good idea from both perspectives. I've only had videos of someone recording me. Comparing the two seems like it could be a great factor in seeing mistakes and fixing them. 

It really is! Sometimes things look great from one angle, but not an other.

I wear a head mounted camera, and it sees what I miss.  For example, if I have a jam, I don't always analyze what was going on, I just clear it as fast as I can and go on.  When I go back and watch the video I can see what actually happened (sometimes).  I also use it for a basic critique - I need work here, I messed up that reload, that was a great shot, whatever.

Head mounted video is also more immersive than just telling someone about a match.  It lets them experience more than a static description, but from the non judgmental zone of their own iPad.  I have had several shooters go from "I don't want to embarass myself" or "I'm not good enough" to "Wow, that looks like fun" after showing my videos, especially when I mess up...

• 1 month later...