Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO, M&P, Vortex Venom

MrDesertBrat

Folks,

I am attempting to install a Vortex Venom 6 mil on my S&W M&P 9 Pro (5"). I obtained a Venom dove tail mount (Vortex 5110). When I installed it, I added the "shim plate". It had two dimples in the middle of the 1st third of the plate and four parameter holes. I place the plate, as directed, over the four corner pins of the mount base and place the Venom on the top of the shim plate. Tightened everything down.   The Venom has a slight cant to it (higher towards the muzzle) caused by the dimples on the shim plate (more than a 1/16th). 

Also, the screws provided by the mount obtained for the M&P did not fit the Venom's mounting screw holes and had to be drilled/reamed out.

So what is the issue if I have followed the directions? Wow, the red dot is not even close to the front sight - it is significantly higher - not sure co-witnessing the dot and front sight is even practical. 

Questions:

1. Has anyone one else done the same - Venom on a S&W M&P Pro (not a CORE) and experienced the same issue?

2. Any ideas on what the shim plate is for? 

3. Is that upward/front cant normal? 

Thoughts, suggestions, welcome

Thanks

Generally the mrds will point down slightly.  Should follow the line of the barrel, sounds as though you may have the wrong shim plate.  I have no experience with that particular sight as I have a Burris FastFire III on a 19ll for a slide mount gun.

It will never cowitness if you are using a dovetail mount.  Unless you have like a half inch tall front sight...but at that point it doesn't matter because you have no rear sight

Edited by waktasz

50 minutes ago, waktasz said:

It will never cowitness if you are using a dovetail mount.  Unless you have like a half inch tall front sight...but at that point it doesn't matter because you have no rear sight

I recommend that you give Vortex tech support a call, they are very helpful. 

Edited by microham

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sounds like you installed the shim backwards. It should be thicker in the rear to angle the muzzle upward slightly while the optic is level.

Will only go on one way given the mounting screw placement.  

• 2 years later...

Does vortex have screws that fit the optic mount for the core? Or vice versa, does m&p have screws the vortex red dot? I am trying to mount my venom currently, and hesitant to lock tight the beveled screws provided by m&p. You said you had to drill/reem yours. I'm not sure I want to do that either. This may eventually get mounted back on it's original picatiny rail mount.

never tried a dovetail mount but I had a venom on my Performance Center 9L that is optics ready, used the supplied plate and also had to shim it (raise the back end up)

not enough range in the elevation. I'm starting to wonder if it's the way the mill the slides though as I've had to other optics on that gun as well and they too needed shims.

I have had had 3 different optics on my Shadow 2 and had no issues with elevation range (and 2 of those optics were on the M&P at some point and did need the shims,

the venom and a Shield mini sight)