Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic muffs or plugs or ? for 1st match

My preference is simple foamy ear plugs that I wear during everyone else's shooting, as I score or reset targets.  And then, when I am in-the-hole I put on a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs over my foamies, and turn them on.  Then, when I am the next shooter, I turn them off and I am really on my own with my thoughts.  The only things I'm listening to are the MakeReady and the beep.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered some of the Walker's Silencer electronic ear buds during a Black Friday sale at Midway, and I was not expecting too much in the way of isolation, but I am so sick of wearing muffs when it is hot out, plus they press on my eye pro frames and are so uncomfortable against the side of my head, I am willing to try anything!

I replaced the foam inserts with a set of Comply Tips that I started using about a year ago in my music ear buds and my blue tooth headset, etc. They are really awesome, very comfortable and tight sealing. You have to get the right type and the right size in order for them to work well, just a heads up, and they are NOT CHEAP, but they are worth it. I have 2-3 different versions to fit different types of devices, and I was lucky that one of them fit the Walker Silencer ear buds.

I took them out for the first time earlier this week to test them at an outdoor range, and I was prepared to add my ear muffs on top of them if needed, but I have to say that they sealed really well, and I was VERY surprised at the attenuation. The Walker's Silencers plus the Comply tips seemed to be a pretty decent combination in my initial testing. We will have to spend some more time with them before rendering a final verdict however...

As a note, I am VERY, VERY careful with my hearing, and I normally "double bag" my ears (foam plugs + ear muffs).

I wear the Electronics ones (my Open Gun is loud), but I wear them backwards when coming up to the starting box.

We all know what BANG sounds like, and besides all the range commands will be coming from behind you.

You will want to hear the RO Clearly.  I just prefer to have the microphones facing the RO's & the timer for the Start Signal.

Edited by Dennis (CT)

I use both as well. Especially indoors where I do 90% of my shooting. 

Electronic ear muffs over a set of good Etymotic Research 20db reducing plugs. They work a lot better than the cheap foam plugs, you can actually understand what people are saying instead of muffled sounds. I bunch of professional musicians I used to know swore by them.  

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20xs-uf.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 11:04 PM, CHLChris said:

My preference is simple foamy ear plugs that I wear during everyone else's shooting, as I score or reset targets.  And then, when I am in-the-hole I put on a set of Howard Leight electronic muffs over my foamies, and turn them on.  Then, when I am the next shooter, I turn them off and I am really on my own with my thoughts.  The only things I'm listening to are the MakeReady and the beep.

This is what I do as well

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here for the Walker's silencer ear buds. I've been using them since they came to market earlier this year. I absolutely love them! I also love my Walker's razor muffs, but the heat here in Florida is no fun with any muff. I typically get 3-4 weeks out of my batteries in the silencers. Kind of expected with hearing aid batteries. Batteries are cheap and It's way worth it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Decibullz makes a moldable plug.  works like the old mouthguards.  use hotwater to soften them up and mold them into your ears.  They are awesome.  I have both the sound filter and non filter models and they are both under $70

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the double up camp. Even try to keep some foam ones with me in the car and when i go to the movies.  At the match, I can still hear the RO and anything else important but I'm sure I'm protecting my hearing. And, yes, avoid the cheap electronic ones. If they don't work right you could end up with permanent hearing damage. 

Anyone else hear that high pitched noise right now?....

• 4 weeks later...

It always amazes me, and I am as guilty as the next, we spend lots of money on our guns, ammo, gear, and matches. However, when it comes to eye and ear protection we tend to look for the cheapest options. As I am getting older I am valuing my ears more, therefore always double plug.

I use mack’s pillow soft silicone plugs during matches and then double up with ear muffs when I’m shooting. The silicone earplugs are the most comfortable plugs I have tried but are rated at 22 decibels so I double up while shooting 

• 2 weeks later...