Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic muffs or plugs or ? for 1st match

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, N1vram said:

I use plugs and electronic muffs (Howard Leights). But I'm thinking about going to moldable ear plugs and muffs. 

I still havent purchased any electronic muffs yet but I just recently upgraded to moldable plugs and I can highly recommend these. Fit great and if you mess up you can just keep re molding them again.

IMG_80451_zpskf2mw0br.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Run what you have for now.  Either one will work fine for a match.

I use SportEAR M-4 Electronic muffs most of the time for shooting pistols.  Much more comfortable that the Howard Leights, but they are larger and more $$ . I also have a set of their Ghost Stryke universal fit electronic plugs that work pretty well, but they are $$$

Howard Leights in the winter.  Relatively cheap,  uses standard batteries.  If you "outgrow" them and head for some MSA 

Sordins or such, keep them around for spouse/kids/whoever.

Summertime for me it's a pair of House of Hearing custom fit in the ear electronic plugs.  Pile of money--I resisted for 10 years

before I took the plunge.  Now i kick myself for waiting so long. 

• 2 weeks later...

1st match use what you have then decide what you like.  Outside I prefer plugs and are typically enough even for open guns.  I've got some Howard muffs which hurt my ears after wearing them for a few hours.  I switched to the MSA gel ones which cost about $300 however even those hurt my ears after a while.  I've switched 100% to the Sound Gear sold by House of Hearing and even use them indoor with my open gun without issues.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:40 PM, af220wa said:

1st match use what you have then decide what you like.  Outside I prefer plugs and are typically enough even for open guns.  I've got some Howard muffs which hurt my ears after wearing them for a few hours.  I switched to the MSA gel ones which cost about $300 however even those hurt my ears after a while.  I've switched 100% to the Sound Gear sold by House of Hearing and even use them indoor with my open gun without issues.

Thats exactly what I did. Went with the Howard Impact Sports and stick my moldable plugs inside when I am around the open guns.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

On 6/29/2017 at 3:53 PM, Weever82 said:

I still havent purchased any electronic muffs yet but I just recently upgraded to moldable plugs and I can highly recommend these. Fit great and if you mess up you can just keep re molding them again.

IMG_80451_zpskf2mw0br.jpg

I finally got a set of custom molded ear plugs from this company at the SHOT Show.  I wish I had them made 5 years earlier.  Big difference compared to the disposables that I've been using.  https://earinc.com/ 

1 hour ago, tattooo said:

I have a pair of Pro Ears gold.....pricey but what is your hearing worth....better protection then plugs and you can turn them up to hear all the RO commands....I would vote against plugs

I had been using plugs but opted for electronic plugs after considering that so much of my shooting is around other people either at the range or at uspsa events that being able to protect my hearing while hearing the RO or anyone at the range give commands was also of paramount importance. 

Spend the few bucks extra to get some good ear protection whether you prefer over ear or in ear protection

6 minutes ago, KrymSIX said:

I had been using plugs but opted for electronic plugs after considering that so much of my shooting is around other people either at the range or at uspsa events that being able to protect my hearing while hearing the RO or anyone at the range give commands was also of paramount importance. 

Spend the few bucks extra to get some good ear protection whether you prefer over ear or in ear protection

What electronic plugs are you using?  What can you tell us about them?  

Thanks in advance!  ...Ken 

@Ken6PPC the electronic plugs I'm using are the Walkers Silencer, they're great for outdoors, even around open guns. 

Indoors I've found that I like to put a pair of howard leight muffs (passive) over them. 

They work really well in my experience. For under 200$ I don't think you can find a better electronic set of plugs. 

Edited by KrymSIX

• 1 month later...

I got the sound gear molded plugs and they are amazing, but I can't hear anyone talking to me normally. However the electronic miffs are great, but get sweaty and not always great with some eye pro, rubs on the ears.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/1/2017 at 2:17 PM, Coctomus said:

Get Peltor tactical sports with gel cups, perfect set up.

Yep, this is what I have been using as well, but the gel cups get pretty hot and sweaty in the summer, and the pressure against my head from my eye protection sucks as well.

I have some of the Decibullz custom molded plugs (supposedly rated at NRR 31, but I am not sure I believe that). They work well, but I don't feel confident enough in them yet to use then without muffs over them.

As many have stated previously, I double-up on my ear pro especially at indoor ranges. 

I run disposable foam plugs under my Walker electronic muffs.  I can pull the muffs off when I'm away from the line or when I need a break from the heat.

Downside is the muffs can interfere with cheek weld on a rifle or PCC.

I wear MSA Sordin's personally they have been great this last USPSA season really helps hear the RO commands and converse with the other shooters. The trick is to wear really thin stemmed glasses under the muffs to not break the seal and minimize pressure on the side of your head. Persol or Oakley's Military line are good options in that area. 

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, KrymSIX said:

@Ken6PPC the electronic plugs I'm using are the Walkers Silencer, they're great for outdoors, even around open guns. 

Indoors I've found that I like to put a pair of howard leight muffs (passive) over them. 

They work really well in my experience. For under 200$ I don't think you can find a better electronic set of plugs. 

I bought a set of the Walker Silencers.  I like them!  They don't provide as much protection as my Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs (30 db), but they work pretty well.  Outside, I think they are sufficient without using a set of muffs over them.  Indoors, I need a little more protection.  

My main reason for getting these was to use them while shooting outdoors in hot weather.  For this purpose, I am very happy with them.  Indoor practice, I find that I can use the Silencers with light weight passive muffs over top.  If I need to engage in conversation, I just take the muffs off, and rely on the Silencers.  They aren't quite as clear as my Impact Pros for speech, but they are good enough to communicate while others are shooting.  For an indoor match, I much prefer the Impact Pros.  

I still need to break down and get myself a real set of hearing aids.  I hunted way too much without ANY hearing protection, and I suppose I am paying for that now. 

Learn from my mistake!  I think the Walker Silencers would be great for hunting!  

@Ken6PPC one thing I found with the Walkers Silencers is that I ended up using the smallest of the 3 foam tips they come with. They didn't feel as squished in as the mediums did but they wouldn't budge and they seemed to block even more outside noise while remaining fine for conversations. It just struck me as an odd little tip because my other plugs I really had to use the tightest fitting ear tip to achieve maximum protection. 

I suppose if you wanted you could also get some silicone tips to see if theyd work with these. anyways glad you like them. 

Absolutely agree indoors I feel they work best paired with some overear protectors but for outdoors they're perfect for having an in ear plug with good enough processing to have conversations on the range and hear all verbal commands from an RO. 

On 6/22/2017 at 7:44 AM, Ken6PPC said:

I use Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic earmuffs.  They are rated for 30 db NRR, which is the highest rated electronic muffs I could find. 

I am happy with the way they suppress noise levels, but they are a little hot for summer use.  I plan to investigate electronic plugs for use in summer.  

I use the same, for the same reason.   Greatest noise reduction of the electronic muffs, and I've been happy with them.  I only switched from passive muffs a short time ago, after a match where the shot timer in use (odd brand, don't recall what it was) was so quiet I couldn't hear it.   Few things worse than always starting your string to the sound of the RO shouting 'go, go!' some time after the timer had started.