Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic muffs or plugs or ? for 1st match

I need buy buy some new ears. Got a crappy 15yr old pair and seen lots of use and the rubber is shot...

Should I buy electronic over the whole ear muffs or regular muffs? Just some plugs?

I assume there is an advantage to electronic because you can hear the RO better?

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks for reading!

Weev-

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I run foam plugs under Peltor electonic ear muffs that are cranked up to high.  Best of both worlds. If I'd been doing this 30 years ago I'd still be able to hear.  

What?  :lol:

I hate muffs.  I wear some ear plugs that are 33db reduction.  About the best db reduction you can get except going custom molded.  If there is someone on the squad running a loud open gun or sometimes during indoor match, I'll throw on a cheap pair of muffs over the plugs.  

I really like electronic muffs for the situational awareness.

I hate them for the summer heat, the pressure after 3+ hours, and the mediocre protection.

I do wear them most of the time, but it's not uncommon for me to double up with plugs, HL Impact Sports cranked up are plenty loud to still hear speech, gives better protection and can ditch the muffs when they get uncomfortable.

You know what I like about electronic muffs? When I practice I can clip my little blue box onto my back pocket and when I press the start button I can still hear the beep. 

With regular muffs, or plugs, I can't. 

If you go the electronic muff route be sure to check them out before you buy, some don't clip the sound of gun fire fast enough and you end up with a head ache after a little while of shooting. I use the in ear TEP-100 with the surefire foam tips in place of the flange rubber or silicone ones they send with them. They are a little pricey but in the summer they are awesome.

Use both.... Foam (or fitted..) plugs under muffs. Try them out. If you can still hear range commands you may not need amplification. Probably will though. I like Peltor and Howard Leight.... and some Walkers are good too. Be advised though, cheap is not normally better. I have tried two pairs of e-muffs that failed miserably. One was a Peltor and one was a Caldwell.... both were about $60.00. I think you will need to go up to around $100.00 to get the reliability you want. MIGHT find some good ones on sale though..???

+1 on avoiding the cheap ones like the caldwells.  They cut off to long and too much.  I use Peltir Tactical Sports that you can get for under $100 if you are patient and wait for a sale though usually around $100. Almost as good sound quality as $300 Pro Ears Gold (which I've owned) and way stronger construction.   

7 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

+1 on avoiding the cheap ones like the caldwells.  They cut off to long and too much.  I use Peltir Tactical Sports that you can get for under $100 if you are patient and wait for a sale though usually around $100. Almost as good sound quality as $300 Pro Ears Gold (which I've owned) and way stronger construction.   

Might need to try those.

I have the Peltor Tactical 100s and have the same complaint as you do about the Caldwells. The non-stop use of tactical for naming had me confused a second.

Are the ear cups fairly deep? The 100s have my ears squished into the foam. 

I also use electronic muffs.  They are the higher end ones that were about $100 (of course I don't recall which ones off the top of my head, but I think they are the Peltor's since that seems to be familiar).  I used to wear the non electronic ones and it got to be a pain in the arse after a while having to ask everyone to repeat themselves over and over.  LOL!  Plus, then you are yelling yourself because you can't hear yourself.

Anyway, I really like them much better than normal muffs.  I also keep a pair of plugs handy as well just in case I ever need them under the muffs for extra protection, but I have yet to need them.  Plus, if you know it is going to be a long string of shooting, you can always turn off the electronics, so then they just turn into a normal pair of muffs (or turn them way down).  It isn't like once you turn them on that you have to keep them all the way up or on. :) 

On 6/13/2017 at 5:46 AM, R1_Demon said:

I also use electronic muffs.  They are the higher end ones that were about $100 (of course I don't recall which ones off the top of my head, but I think they are the Peltor's since that seems to be familiar).  I used to wear the non electronic ones and it got to be a pain in the arse after a while having to ask everyone to repeat themselves over and over.  LOL!  Plus, then you are yelling yourself because you can't hear yourself.

Anyway, I really like them much better than normal muffs.  I also keep a pair of plugs handy as well just in case I ever need them under the muffs for extra protection, but I have yet to need them.  Plus, if you know it is going to be a long string of shooting, you can always turn off the electronics, so then they just turn into a normal pair of muffs (or turn them way down).  It isn't like once you turn them on that you have to keep them all the way up or on. :) 

Thats a great idea too. I'm looking heavily at the Peltor Tac Sports. Just keep some plugs handly also.

Thanks for all the replies!

I run the $12 radians do-it-yourself custom fit earplugs and love them.

If I use muffs over them, I power them down when I shoot and enjoy how much easier it is to focus on seeing my sights when there's no chit chat nor DING from steel to distract you.

Ben Stoeger introduced me to that trick.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Howard Leight Max 33dB Disposable Ear Plugs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IYDKSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VpLszbH4T898C

I've only seen disposables that were 33 dB.

I use the custom-molded Radians plugs that are 26 dB and you do yourself. Basically a two-part epoxy you press into your ear. They're great and cheap.

I haven't switched to electronic muffs yet, but I double-up on ear protection anyway.  Soft rubber plugs are put in the moment the shooter's briefing is over with.  They stay in for most of the duration of the match.  Then, I'll put muffs on when it's my turn to shoot, or when I know there's a loud Open gun about to roll...

I just recently grabbed a pair of Walkers new silencer ear plugs. They worked great at the indoor range and handled the echo really well. They were very comfortable and also felt like they reduced the noise even more than a pair of 32nrr rated plugs I had been using previously. The cut of loud impulse noises was so quick and smooth it was unnoticeable. Only bummer is hearing aid batteries will have to be replaced pretty much before each range session unless i go back to back days due to the constant drain on those types of batteries.

One thing to consider with the nrr ratings is they are just about meaningless if you can't get a good seal and as a result your actual decibel reduction could be more or less than the claimed number for your plugs or muffs. 

I also have a spare set of howard leight passive earmuffs to go over my ears if something happens to my electronics.

I use Howard Leight Impact Pro electronic earmuffs.  They are rated for 30 db NRR, which is the highest rated electronic muffs I could find. 

I am happy with the way they suppress noise levels, but they are a little hot for summer use.  I plan to investigate electronic plugs for use in summer.  

I double plug with cheap disposables and peltor sports cranked up. the issue that I have is sound sometimes gets blocked when shooters one bay over are shooting. I pull the muffs off when not shooting and just leave plugs.

I got a custom pair of plugs that have filters in them to allow a bit more sound than solid inserts. We shall see on Sunday how well they work. 

For outdoor matches I run custom plugs, and just recently got a pair of electronic ones. I'll use either or with no problem. I know a lot of guys who will have a basic plug in then when they shoot, or an Open gun runs they add the muffs. I just can't get use to the muffs outside. I sweat way too much. Indoors I'll use a pair of electronic ear muffs.