Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting started in 3-Gun

After lurking here for ages I'm finally sold, I want to give 3-gun a run.

What do I need?  I have a Bushmaster M-4, aperture rear/tritium front post, Scattergun Technologies version of the 870, identical sight setup, and a Glock 21, iron sights.  Will this work?

Once gear is squared away what type of training schedule should I look forward to?  

Do you try to train with each weapon everyday or do you work with them in some other fashion?  How do you break down each training session?  Live fire and dry practice routines?

What is a good entry level match?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the fun world of 3-Gun!  I started with a bunch of good guys about two years ago, shot with gears that I already had (1911,BPS 12ga,A2 AR) just to have fun.  I upgraded as $ allowed.  IMO, no arm race is necessary.  Shoot the stuff that you have.  

I can't offer much about training, except make every range session count, meaning not just helping the environment with additional lead down range.  I usually limit myself to about 150 rds pistols and 60 rifles.  Shotgun I only practice loading at home using dummies.  An essential piece of gear for practicing is a timer.  Get one and you won't regret it.

(Edited by PacMan at 7:17 am on Nov. 23, 2002)

(Edited by PacMan at 7:20 am on Nov. 23, 2002)

Looks to me like you need ammo, and practice.

i don't train nearly enough for 3 gun, as we only do it once every other month, and sometimes i don't even get to doing it then.

i've seen alot of times lost because bad transitions & pick up set down of the gun. thats one thing to start off practicing.

buy a box of 25 rounds of "dummy" rounds of 12 gauge, 870 is fun, and practice practice practice reloading your shotgun. then you get to practice working the pumpwhen its empty, do it again.

Hope that helps, I'm also interested in the practice regimine of some of the better 3 gunners here.

Best advice I have ever received went something like this. Make each firearm you use an extension of yourself.

It might freak out the rest of the household, but learning how to move naturally, and get into various positions quickly & smoothly with long guns really helps. If you come from action type pistol shooting, you already have a set of safety, movement, and handling skills that are instinctive. Getting to the same familiarity level with the long guns is very important. Run a lot of function, handling & dryfire drills at home, then validate at the range. You will get the most out of your range time in this manner.

Regards,

Phew... I am not the only one who practice weapon transition and shooting positions at home.  My dog hates it because of the beeping timer.  My wife is worrying that the neighbors would see me roaming the house with the AR and call the police.  My basement walls are "decorated" with IPSC shoot/no shoot targets...

(Edited by PacMan at 7:04 am on Nov. 24, 2002)

(Edited by PacMan at 7:05 am on Nov. 24, 2002)

A few ideas:

Yes, play at home to get comfortable with transitions and movement.  Handgun practice is what you're already doing.  Rifle practice can be a problem.  Rifle stages break down into two general camps: handgun stages and distance work.  For the "handgun" stages, practice warp speed A hits on targets from 10 to 25 yards.  For distance work, do not settle for "on the cardboard' and focus on A hits only, as fast as you can but not hurried.

Shotgun, you've got some work to do.  I developed my practice routine on pins, but it works on poppers, too.  Set up a straight array, five, six eight poppers.  (Whatever.)  Start with gun down, loaded.  Practice singles.  On the beep, come up and get your hit. It must be centered and go down, no edge hits or misses.  As soon as you see the sights recoil off the popper, pump the action and drive the sight to the next popper but don't shoot it.  Check your time and replay the shot in your mind.  then start down and repeat on the second popper.

Drill yourself to see the sights come off the popper and drive them to the next target.  I'd practice 24 shots that way.  Then I'd go back and do doubles; lift, hit, drive, hit drive.  24 rounds.  Then sets of four, then finally three tables of eight pins.  It took 96 rounds, an hour, and I'd be dripping in sweat even in January.

The first year I started that routine, I set two records at Second Chance:  Eight pins auto, 2.7 seconds, pump, 3.7 seconds.

Thanks for all the great input guy's!

I'm currently at the ITOA conference so I can't practice just yet, but can't wait to get started!

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello there Flex, its been a while.

Pat, I think Jeff Chudwin said you are in Michigan, is that still true and if so, will you let me know about any upcoming 3-gun shoots?

Thanks again guy's!

Paul,

Jeff invites me to the ITOA conference each year, and each year I find myself buried in holiday stuff and writing assignments.  I simply must make it one of these years.

We shoot 3-gun 2nd Sunday, starting in April.  We'll have the MI State 3-Gun Championships in June (looks like I'm going to get roped into being the MD) and that will be fun.

I'll send you a map and info.  E-mail me a postal address.  (And anyone else who can make the drive to Brighton, MI.)

I would like to add that if you choose the flip method in shotgun loading, be aware of the muzzle direction during reload while movement laterally.  To some shooter, the tactical (weak hand?) loading might be more flexible.  Try them all and pick the one that you feel less restrictive on the move.