Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 trigger spring issues?

shooting for M

Hey guys, I've been playing around with different trigger setups. I read somewhere that a gen 4 can have reset issues if you change to a heavier trigger spring. I can't remember where I read it, I've slept since then. I was thinking of trying a dot connector with a 6# trigger spring. Heard it can give you a decent and fairly crisp trigger.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it. My search fu is weak.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's true.  I used the Ghost Ultimate 3.5 connector and their spring kit.  Had to use the 6lb striker spring from the kit as the 4lb would reset but not retract the trigger enough to engage the trigger stop safety, I had to manually pull the trigger forward.  That's no bueno.  

All other fire control parts are factory.  All is well with that 6lb striker spring.  If you want to run a 4lb striker spring, stick with the stock trigger spring.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I plan on keeping the stock striker spring. Now that I'm thinking about how it all works that makes sense.

Is this a gen 4 only issue or all of them?

The trigger spring counteracts the striker spring, In a Gen4 if you drop to a lighter striker spring do not increase the trigger spring or you see issues like mentioned above. 

If stock striker spring you should be fine using the heavier trigger spring, it will reduce some weight off the pull. 

Stay with the stock trigger spring, then you can pretty much do anything you want with the stock striker spring.  The little you gain with the 6 lb trigger spring you will loose the tactile reset and a host of other trigger problems.

I think it just depends on the particular gun and spring used. I've had a I think Ghost 6# trigger spring that caused the trigger not to reset in a Gen 4. But I also currently have Zev 6# trigger springs and Wolff 4.5# striker springs in multiple Glocks that all work fine. So you just have to try it and see if it'll work I guess. I don't think the extra power trigger spring does much though really. Lighter striker spring makes a much bigger difference. And I've never heard of the 6# trigger spring being an issue in a Gen 1-3, just Gen 4.

You can take a Gen 3 trigger an drop it straight into a Gen 4. I'm running a 6lb return springs and lightened striker springs. I have various spring kits in three different Gen 4's and have none of the issues listed above. I think at this point I have tried a dozen different disconnectors, every spring combination mentioned in this thread, and multiple drop in triggers. The only issues I've seen (outside of trigger feel preference) are too light recoil springs that cause the slide to retract with the striker (not my gun). Glocks are painfully simple, buy a few springs and disconnectors and try them out.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:41 PM, Southpaw said:

I think it just depends on the particular gun and spring used. I've had a I think Ghost 6# trigger spring that caused the trigger not to reset in a Gen 4. But I also currently have Zev 6# trigger springs and Wolff 4.5# striker springs in multiple Glocks that all work fine. So you just have to try it and see if it'll work I guess. I don't think the extra power trigger spring does much though really. Lighter striker spring makes a much bigger difference. And I've never heard of the 6# trigger spring being an issue in a Gen 1-3, just Gen 4.

I'm running a Wolff competition spring kit in my gen 3 G35 w/ a LWD - connector (blue box gun so it came w/ a "5.5lb" trigger stock) and I'm running in to the same issue, even w/ the stock trigger spring the trigger won't reset to engage the safety with the kits 4lb sear spring.

I did read a older thread that mentions to check the slide stop where it touches the trigger and insure that its not bent from the trigger pin being hit with something or that the spring is bend adding drag to the trigger. I really need to check that on mine (which I forgot about until right now lol) or order a 4.5lb spring. (or just order a 4.5 and 5lb sear spring so I have them on hand anyways) 

Edited by Wolfmetalfab

I've not had an issue with the trigger not resetting.  I have had it not reset all the way past trigger safety.  Some triggers just change the angle of the shoe so the trigger safety clears much sooner.  Some connectors change this a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, two different gen 4s (17 & 23) with 6# trigger springs and 5# striker springs, no issues so far.

I also read somewhere swapping the ejector housing to one from a gen 3 may fix that issue if you have it. Can anyone confirm? Are they different?

I only had issues with a 6lb spring when paired with a 4lb striker.  I didn't much care for the feel anyway so I replaced it with a TTI that seems to work perfectly and falls somewhere in between stock and 6lb.  

I eventually installed a Production legal trigger that removed pre-travel eliminating reset issues regardless of spring combo. 

50 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

The angle is different in the Gen 3.    Vanek made me 2 of them for my Gen 4's and they work and feel much better,

they also have full pretravel & overtravel adjustments..

Which angle (that affects trigger pull) ?

Yea, the over travel screw he adds is nice.  Glock triggers are glock triggers.  I've never felt one that I LOVED.  

ETA: The angle that the connector rides in the housing must be slightly different.  

Edited by Ssanders224

5 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

I think it's like 5 degrees different..  I definintely like it..  I had him add a Pre-Travel Screw also..

Correct, I revised and installed a Gen 3 housing with pre and over travel in a Gen 4 Glock as soon as the Gen 4's were available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 11:36 AM, rooster said:

Stay with the stock trigger spring, then you can pretty much do anything you want with the stock striker spring.  The little you gain with the 6 lb trigger spring you will loose the tactile reset and a host of other trigger problems.

+1

Daniel Kinsler has posted on here that he does not recommend the XP trigger spring in a Gen4, despite working okay in a Gen3.

That's good enough for me.

Other people report no problems running XP trigger return spring in a Gen4 but I'll not chance it for a miniscule return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reference: Glock 9mm 19 Gen 4 - Glock Store Competition Spring Kit ( SKU: 1065)

Will this kit work safely & correctly?

Kit contains four (4) firing pin springs, 2 lb. to 6 lb.

Will any of the above work, and if so, which firing pin spring(s)?

Reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by Electrical
remove my name