Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 mag over insertion

rowdyb

I had a very specific issue, so don't be scared. With the gun empty and the slide locked back is the only place this was an issue. So with the pistol in that condition, without a basepad that would meet the frame, I could slam a mag home it would go past the mag catch and prevent the reload from happening and locking the slide in place. My issue was solely with doing slide lock reloads.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if this has been addressed or if anyone saw this but it looks like Hennings redid their basepads for the shadow 2 and supposedly fixed the overinsertion issue. Anyone have any luck with these? the price is right at 18 bucks a piece for 6... 

Henning CZ Shadow 2 PRO Production Base Pad

https://benstoegerproshop.com/henning-cz-shadow-2-pro-production-base-pad/

Just ordered some. Hennings said there should be no issues with these on mec gar 17 rd. tubes. 

Edited by Foxtrotx1

5 hours ago, Foxtrotx1 said:

Not sure if this has been addressed or if anyone saw this but it looks like Hennings redid their basepads for the shadow 2 and supposedly fixed the overinsertion issue. Anyone have any luck with these? the price is right at 18 bucks a piece for 6... 

Henning CZ Shadow 2 PRO Production Base Pad

https://benstoegerproshop.com/henning-cz-shadow-2-pro-production-base-pad/

Just ordered some. Hennings said there should be no issues with these on mec gar 17 rd. tubes. 

I had been using that with my factory shadow 2 mags and mecgar 17 rd mag tubes with no over insertion problems at all. I like them a lot because it doesn’t have the extended front lip that messes me up when I grab a mag from my belt.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I recently came across this same issue.  I guess I really shoved the magazine in hard because I locked up the slide release and actually thought I broke something for a second.

So I came across this and bought 12 CZC basepads for some of my 17rd Mec Gars but what has surprised me the most is that these basepads have what to the eye is the same amount of gap from the bottom of the gun to the top of the base pad.

My guess is that they are only taller by some almost unseeable amount, like .010 -.020" and that is enough to correct the issue.  I was thinking they would seat closer to flush.

FWIW, some Shadow 2's are slightly shorter top to bottom than others which is why some pads work for some people and some don't.  The latest gen Shockbottle CZ-SF3 pads are the tallest and should prevent overinsertion in almost all of them, but could cause failure-to-lock in SP01s.  The SF2 a little less so and the SF1s are better for SP01's and the like.

41 minutes ago, shred said:

FWIW, some Shadow 2's are slightly shorter top to bottom than others which is why some pads work for some people and some don't.  The latest gen Shockbottle CZ-SF3 pads are the tallest and should prevent overinsertion in almost all of them, but could cause failure-to-lock in SP01s.  The SF2 a little less so and the SF1s are better for SP01's and the like.

I know since the frames are cast there is quite a bit of variation so a true "flush fit" would require custom fitting to each gun and be completely unnecessary.

Out of curiosity I might get a set of feeler gages and check the gap with a few Mec-Gar 17s on both a Shadow 1 and Shadow 2 and then my new base pads just to see how "tight" these margins and "issues" are.

Edited by FALAR

• 1 month later...

For anyone still looking at using Henning +0 base pads, I've been using the redesigned PRO version on 17-round Mec-Gar AFCs for about a year in both of my Shadow 2s as well as my SP-01 Shadow with great success. No over-insertion issues, and I'm able to make the gun "auto-forward" from slide lock if I want to.

yeah the older Henning ones work great with the a mag well on a Shadow 2 whereas the new ones don't, but the new ones of course work perfect on a regular Shadow 2's mags (I run both sets in my various guns)

• 11 months later...

Super useful thread, thanks all for the info. Just ran in to the over insertion issue last night, which is strange since I have one of the first few shadow 2's that CZC ever shipped out. I also have a newer shadow 2 and can't recreate the over insertion issue on that gun. All the sudden became an issue overnight really in my match gun. Must have gotten stronger or something lol.

Anyways swapping out my 1st gen Henning base pads for the new Pro's to remedy the issue.

Edited by Vanniek71

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...