Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 mag over insertion

rowdyb

I experienced over-insertion and jamming with my 75 Shadow with magwell. CZ Custom noted I was the first person with this problem using the basepads at that time, and we concluded the original basepads designed for use with the magwell allowed a bit of over-insertion. They redesigned the basepads now such that they prevent over-insertion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm running the 17 round nickel Mec-gar's with shockbottles and have experienced the over insertion lock up with my shadow 2.  Looks like the pads from CZC will prevent this so I'm thinking about ordering some.  Anyone running this combo and seeing that it prevents over insertion?

1 hour ago, abigger04 said:

Are the czc basepads much thicker than stock? I'm trying to determine if I should get those or the SP. 

Mine should be here tomorrow if I can figure out how I'll post a pic for you to see the difference. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/8/2017 at 11:05 PM, WiII said:

I also experienced this problem twice [on one stage during a match] with my Mac-gar AFC mags with shock bottle base pads. I had to grab the slide and sling-shot it as the slide stop wouldn't budge. 

The stage was some kind of steel 3-gun stage repurposed for USPSA and my stage plans dictated I shoot the gun dry and then move. Otherwise I would have to go 1-for-1 on the center position.

My shock bottle base pads did this with both the factory and Mec-Gar mags (same thing) on my Shadow 2.

BSPS was pretty quick in responding to my negative review. Supposedly, Shock Bottle is sending me a newly shaped prototype. We'll see if that materializes.

Not sure what happened, but one of my mags that I was using for overinsertion testing will now not engage the mag release on occassion. Have to slap the stock base pad a bit, not sure what's going on there.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:31 AM, rowdyb said:

1. i just switched from the stock looking springer precision basepads to the smaller hennings.

2. this only happens with a slide lock reload.

Doing some "worst case scenario" training today and was doing some slide lock reloads. Consistently when the slide locks back on an empty mag, i drop it and as I go to insert the new one, I can insert it far enough the slide release lever will not work. I have to pull the magazine out a bit, to where I can feel it click into the catch and see the catch move. Then I can drop the slide as one should with the release.

I really like these pads, but if they allow me to over insert the magazine with even a moderate amount of oomph I'll have to stop using them. Is there anything to tune or adjust in the gun to prevent the over insertion of magazines?

Careful on the springer pads, the have multiple different designs that they have rolled in and out, I had to mill some of mine on the top, some other on the bottom. Seemed to be .030 switching from one side to the other

I first noticed though when I had a mag (with anti over insertion pads) not seat all the way at make ready and I didn't notice, derp

I have to run the CZC custom pads for IDPA or I over insert mags during a slide lock reload and jack things up. In USPSA I run the Henning base pads.

I've also now switched on both belt set ups to running bullets forward. Before I was bullets fwd on idpa stuff and bullets out on uspsa stuff. Trying to gain a small amount of consistency.

• 2 months later...

Thread revival.  Shadow 2... I have Taran Tactical +4 base pads on 17 rd Mecgar mags.  Would always auto forward and suddenly stopped, have to pull them down to auto forward.  Do I need to change springs or what would you recommend I try?  thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, Nayr said:

My shock bottle base pads did this with both the factory and Mec-Gar mags (same thing) on my Shadow 2.

BSPS was pretty quick in responding to my negative review. Supposedly, Shock Bottle is sending me a newly shaped prototype. We'll see if that materializes.

Not sure what happened, but one of my mags that I was using for overinsertion testing will now not engage the mag release on occassion. Have to slap the stock base pad a bit, not sure what's going on there.

Any luck getting new pad(s) from Shock Bottle?

@rowdyb do the Hennings not lock the gun, just prevent auto-forward? Confused as to the actual outcome.

I've been wondering the same thing SC.  I've put off buying any right now because I'm confused on what works well and what doesn't.  CZC is out of black basepads right now so it's been tough to pick with so few working properly from what people have said in this thread. 

i am very much against anything that lets the gun auto foreward the slide. so yeah... my usage has nothing to do or not do with that malfunction.

to describe my issue more clearly then. goes go to slide lock. i drop mag. i insert a mag with a basepad with no lip to the foreward/anterior aspect. i insert mag with enough force that when i depress the slide stop lever the slide goes forward and stops against the magazine itself, firmly. to alleviate this and continue to load the gun the mag must be pulled down or completely out, reinserted and the slide operated to load a round. not idea.

how to prevent this? 1. don't slam the mag in so dang hard. 2. use a base pad with a lip. as i no longer shoot  idpa all that often it doesn't matter anymore. i like the henning for uspsa and still continue to run them.

Thanks for the update Rowdy.  I'm a big ogur though and will risk slidelock on stages every now and then. 

I'm a fan of the shockbottle's on my Tanfo but I guess they have the same issue.  From what I can tell CZC are the ones for me from what you describe.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, rowdyb said:

I have to run the CZC custom pads for IDPA or I over insert mags during a slide lock reload and jack things up. In USPSA I run the Henning base pads.

I've also now switched on both belt set ups to running bullets forward. Before I was bullets fwd on idpa stuff and bullets out on uspsa stuff. Trying to gain a small amount of consistency.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:23 PM, rowdyb said:

i am very much against anything that lets the gun auto foreward the slide. so yeah... my usage has nothing to do or not do with that malfunction.

to describe my issue more clearly then. goes go to slide lock. i drop mag. i insert a mag with a basepad with no lip to the foreward/anterior aspect. i insert mag with enough force that when i depress the slide stop lever the slide goes forward and stops against the magazine itself, firmly. to alleviate this and continue to load the gun the mag must be pulled down or completely out, reinserted and the slide operated to load a round. not idea.

how to prevent this? 1. don't slam the mag in so dang hard. 2. use a base pad with a lip. as i no longer shoot  idpa all that often it doesn't matter anymore. i like the henning for uspsa and still continue to run them.

Are you still running the Hennings out of curiosity? I know Patriot Defense just came out with CZ basepads just last week that prevent over insertion but Hennings are cheaper especially when bought in the same quantity. I'm currently running springers but was worried about the box... Even when everyone said they fit. Just looking for a change  for 5 new mags I'm about to buy.

This is really an expensive and confusing issue. Reading through this it scares me. I have had 12 Springer +4 extensions for a while now and never had a failure but if I look at the grip/base gap it appears they actually could fail. I needed more extensions and bought Taran Tacs +4 because they look nice and I like the pin lock mechanisms.

Well.....life's lesson don't abandon what works. I bought 20. A pretty expensive deal. All 20 locked up on three different S2's 100% of the time whether slide lock or non slide lock reloads.

Credit where its due to a business. Within a week I called TT and they took them back.I appreciate that and I will try to do as much business with them as possible in the future. 

I have been running some of the Henning (non extension) base plates I see in this forum. I have 12 and have been running them for 6 months without a failure. However I virtually never go to slide lock so I better experiment with that.

In the end I got 20 more Springer +4's and so far no failures but its early to draw a conclusion. The really scary thing here is that the factory, rubber base pads have essentially the same gap the the aluminum aftermarket ones have, but they don't fail.

All these mags (I have over 80) are Mecgar 17's.