Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Minor Setup

Qoo

Hello Shooters,

I just switched from open division to single stack minor division, i would like to know your single stack minor setup. 

1. Load data - I am currently using Berry's 147 plated round nose (couple of my shooting buddies don't recommend to use the plated bullets), Winchester SPP, 3.3gr Titegroup - Chrono at Area 5 the past weekend (140.4PF......), definitely need to reduce the powder charge to lower the PF.

2. Recoil spring - it is a wolff 10lb recoil spring in my current setup, people suggest to try the 8lb and 9lb

My current setup giving me muzzle rise, i would like to find all the possible ways to reduce the muzzle rise.

Your feedback and suggestion are always appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think the there is enough, if any, cost savings to use plated over jacketed. I like Blue Bullets 147 RN. Little smoke indoors, none that I notice outdoors. Reduce your load, then chronograph until you get between 130-135 PF. I use a 9# ISMI recoil spring and 15# mainspring if I use Federal primers, 17# for anything else. With a 9mm, you will be closer to the weight limit, so use a steel recoil rod if you can, aluminum if you must, tungsten if your lucky. You can mill some weight out of the slide to reduce reciprocating mass. Than should lessen muzzle rise. I'd suggest with 9mm, grip it harder. 

6 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I don't think the there is enough, if any, cost savings to use plated over jacketed. I like Blue Bullets 147 RN. Little smoke indoors, none that I notice outdoors. Reduce your load, then chronograph until you get between 130-135 PF. I use a 9# ISMI recoil spring and 15# mainspring if I use Federal primers, 17# for anything else. With a 9mm, you will be closer to the weight limit, so use a steel recoil rod if you can, aluminum if you must, tungsten if your lucky. You can mill some weight out of the slide to reduce reciprocating mass. Than should lessen muzzle rise. I'd suggest with 9mm, grip it harder. 

Thanks much for the input, definitely will reduce the powder charge and get between 130-135 PF, a friend of mine will bring me a couple 8# and 9# recoil spring to try later this week, would like to stick with Winchester or CCI primers for now, since i can get them easily and cheaper than Federal, so i guess not going to touch the mainspring at the moment. It is a steel guide rod in my setup now, 42.9oz overall weight at the Area 5 Chrono.......the guy said i am living on the edge..lol

Just now, davidb72 said:

I've been using coated bullets (Ibejiheads) with 3.0 gr of Titegroup in my 9mm Trojan and it makes 130PF with no problem.

Thanks for the feedback, that sounds much better, what bullet weight do you use?

In IPSC classic division we are not allowed to lighten our slides but we also don't have a weight limit so we all run heavy guide rods which really do make all the difference. So for USPSA I would Try and reduce the guns weight to a minimum by replacing everything below the slide with Aluminum eg mainspring housing, mag well, use lightweight grip panels anything to get the weight down with the aim of putting the heaviest full length guide in you can. This will help with muzzle flip. If you are allowed to lighten the slide also consider doing this. As for loads some say that 147 gr loads produce softer recoil, I've tried them all and it's a matter of personal preference. For me 124 gr loads return the front sight to target quicker but it's a snappier felt recoil compared to the 147 gr loads.

3 minutes ago, Oldminger said:

In IPSC classic division we are not allowed to lighten our slides but we also don't have a weight limit so we all run heavy guide rods which really do make all the difference. So for USPSA I would Try and reduce the guns weight to a minimum by replacing everything below the slide with Aluminum eg mainspring housing, mag well, use lightweight grip panels anything to get the weight down with the aim of putting the heaviest full length guide in you can. This will help with muzzle flip. If you are allowed to lighten the slide also consider doing this. As for loads some say that 147 gr loads produce softer recoil, I've tried them all and it's a matter of personal preference. For me 124 gr loads return the front sight to target quicker but it's a snappier felt recoil compared to the 147 gr loads.

Many thanks for your input, i guess i will take one step at a time to work on the load first, recoil spring before reducing the weight.

It's a 9mm at 130 PF, get it to weigh 1 oz below weight , get a set of grips that allow your grip /style to not allow the gun to move.  work on grip strength if needed.

Shoot a 147 gr bullet with , WST, TG or such to get good SD and ES and shoot the thing until you get were you can see the front sight reciprocating back and forward and think of the frt. sight like your dot on the open gun, just waiting for it to float back in the A zone and fire 

49 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

It's a 9mm at 130 PF, get it to weigh 1 oz below weight , get a set of grips that allow your grip /style to not allow the gun to move.  work on grip strength if needed.

Shoot a 147 gr bullet with , WST, TG or such to get good SD and ES and shoot the thing until you get were you can see the front sight reciprocating back and forward and think of the frt. sight like your dot on the open gun, just waiting for it to float back in the A zone and fire 

i am sure that i will need to work on my grip strength too, in the mean time would like to explore all options.

Thanks