Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 STI Trubor problems.

rbuck

5 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

To answer your question, yes you can modify the end of the guide rod.

2 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Leave the guide rod alone. No need to modify it. If you make it smaller in diameter you can cause problems with the reverse plug and spring binding. Just shoot it. Thanks, Eric

So, I shouldn't mess with the compensator or guide rod? just keep shooting and itll make its adjustment by itself?

To answer your question, yes you can modify the end of the guide rod.

If it is just touching on the top front of the guide rod, you can bevel the front edge - on the top - slightly where it touches the comp.  Do not shorten the guide rod, other than just the slight bevel on the top.

Hello: Under recoil the guide rod will be loose and will make rub marks on the bottom of the comp. It is what happens to all of them. I am sure that the guide rod is not binding on the comp. It takes a while before an open pistol is broken in and can be different for different builds. I have sen guys ruin a perfectly running pistol because they don't really know what they are doing to correct a none existent problem. Get your loads setup for major using a chrono and work from there. Shooting minor loads on a new pistol will take a lot of lead downrange and lots of aggravation from all the problems with ejection and extraction. There are lots of good open shooters down your way just ask their advice. Carlsbad, Albuquerque, Roswell all have good matches to shoot at. Thanks, Eric

26 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Under recoil the guide rod will be loose and will make rub marks on the bottom of the comp. It is what happens to all of them. I am sure that the guide rod is not binding on the comp. It takes a while before an open pistol is broken in and can be different for different builds. I have sen guys ruin a perfectly running pistol because they don't really know what they are doing to correct a none existent problem. Get your loads setup for major using a chrono and work from there. Shooting minor loads on a new pistol will take a lot of lead downrange and lots of aggravation from all the problems with ejection and extraction. There are lots of good open shooters down your way just ask their advice. Carlsbad, Albuquerque, Roswell all have good matches to shoot at. Thanks, Eric

Thank you! ill just keep shooting and let the kinks fix themselves! i shoot here in Las Cruces and El Paso. I havent talked to an STI sponsored shooter yet since hes at double tap this weekend. thank you all for the support!

actually particularly in something like a trubor with heavy steel comp having the comp touch the GR when out of battery is a good thing. otherwise the comp can 'nose down' which puts strain on the link. the guiderod tip limits the down travel of the comp. too much interference is not good, but they usually do touch.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:55 AM, BeerBaron said:

actually particularly in something like a trubor with heavy steel comp having the comp touch the GR when out of battery is a good thing. otherwise the comp can 'nose down' which puts strain on the link. the guiderod tip limits the down travel of the comp. too much interference is not good, but they usually do touch.

really didnt know that! thank you!

On 6/7/2017 at 10:18 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

The first time I shot my new Trubor, it bound up...  The guide rod was binding on the compensator...  It bound up with no ammunition in the gun...  It wore a flat on the bottom of the guide rod and also wore flat spots on the other end of the guide rod where it rubbed on the barrel...  I relieved an area on the bottom of the compensator to solve this problem...

Note that the new STI DVC Open guns come with this area already relieved...  They do a nicer job with a mill, but it is essentially what I did with a Dremmel...  Here's a picture of the slot in a new DVC:

IMG_0631.JPG

Since the OP of this thread was having problems with his Trubor, I suggested several things for him to check on with his Trubor...  I have, unfortunately, had many issues with my Trubor...  just wanted to give him a few options...