Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun for 9mm minor/major

Orbit

Hi,

I decided to take a step to get into Race gun. I am looking into buying but, wow, Can$4,417 excluding taxes and shipping with 2 mags here in Canada. Looking for alternatives, I came across 2 less expensive race gun in 9mm; these are

1. STI Stinger 9mm for Can$3000 including 6 mags, 7K rounds thru it

2. Racing Master Bull Custom from Israel for $2800 including 3 mags, brand new

Friends, I am requesting for more info about these guns or if you are selling a race gun in CANADA, please help me out.

What can you say about your experience on the said STI Stinger and Israeli made Master Bull Custom 9mm race gun?

Thanks.

<"I decided to take a step to get into Race gun">

Most guys I know that shoot Open, know exactly what they want, and why they want it.

A Race Gun is a delicate marriage of components, to suit the owner.

Even developing a reliable load to run the comp is a full time job.

Just go to any local  IPSC/USPSA match and see the how problematic a Race Gun can be.

They look cool and are cool, but are you really ready to put yourself through the expense & leaning curve?

You can have just as much fun, and save a whack of money, by shooting Classic/Single Stack or Production Division.

Most learn to fly a Cessna before they buy a Learjet.

3 hours ago, Orbit said:

I decided to take a step into Race gun but, wow, Can$4,417.  Looking for alternatives

Sorry, I'm NOT familiar with the two guns you mentioned, but I faced the

same problem ten years ago.

I went with a STI TruBor in 9mm ...   Love it.  It is a true 2011 type gun,

and I've been using it for a decade - didn't need to get into the highly

customized 2011's for much more money.

The less expensive alternative that many use is the EAA type of gun,

instead of the STI/SVI type 2011 gun - supposed to be a very nice less expensive

alternative, but the STI is ultimately "better".

The worst alternative (But, an alternative - that you seem to have ignored) is

the Glock/plastic gun based Open gun - better than nothing, I suppose, but

nowhere near as good as the STI or even the EAA type gun.

Hopefully someone will come along with specific info on the two guns you're

considering - good luck with your foray into the world of Open Guns  :) 

The sti stinger is kind of a predecessor to the steel master. It's a short barrel open gun which is not ideal for ipsc. They stopped making them in 2008 so the used one is 9 years old at best likely 10+. 

For a a little more money I'd strongly suggest a new or used trubor or dvc. 

Look at what most guys are using. I can promise you you won't see many stingers or bull open guns. 

Another budget option is the sps vista which I think is a better 'budget' open gun. The downside is they only offer the short barrel model in 9mm. The full size is available only in 38 super. I personally prefer super but I know many prefer 9 for cost reasons. 

So id say:

9mm trubor (new or used)

9mm dvc open (new or used)

sps vista 38 super (new)

open is great fun. I would never discourage someone from trying it. The guns run fine if the ammo is well made and the gun setup right and well maintained. 

Thank you DJC, HiPower and BeerBaron for the response.

I am shooting already the Classic and Production in IPSC. Just recently, I found that I am having a problem using these pistols due to my aging eyes until one day I tried a a sigsauer 22 cal with a red dot and presto, I would like to try the Open Gun for my aging eye sights and increase the fun in the range.

Actually, i just want to shoot 9mm minor only and the major most probably in the future but right now looking for a pistol race gun that can run 9mm minor or factory load reliably.

I realized that race gun definitely an expensive one and don want to have something to be a $$$$ paper weight.

Edited by Orbit

Freedom Ventures will set you up with and Open Tanfoglio. You could get a limited custom from them along with a straight barrel and a comp. Turn it into a gold team. 

I believe Double Tap can get SPS 2011s from the Philippines that are reasonably priced. 

Where did you find the Isreal made 2011 up here?

If you hang on IPSC production optics division will be in place soon, so affordable reliable guns that work straight out the box with optics on. The comp season in Canada where I am is almost over believe it or not so you should be well placed to hit the ground running for next years comp season.

Just a thought!

Hello: The STI Stinger would make a good minor load pistol. They are a short barreled pistol so tend to be on the harsh side for 165-170PF loads in USPSA power factor. You could have another top end built for it in the future if you like shooting open. Too bad you have the 10 round limit up there since shooting open with 30 round mags is so much fun. Thanks, Eric

Hi aircooled,

Thank you for the encouragement. We just started the transfer of ownership of the STI Stinger. The pistol is nickel coated, custom stippled grip, cape c-more mount and 2.5lbs trigger according to the owner. Hoping for the best and maybe later I will be getting the STI Trubor or Matchmaster.