Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOLO Tuning for a longer DA pull

On 6/29/2017 at 6:11 PM, CarlB86 said:

Played with my spare today. Hit my previous minimum, .4635 and it felt identical to the original I cut down to .4635.

Went down to .4630 on my quest to find the limit. I may have found it. The gun has some noticeable stacking as it gets to the very end of hammer travel. I'll probably just test this "experimental" bolo with some CCI primers.

Well, in dry fire I had a few times where DA wouldn't drop, so I added some bevel to the #2 edge.

BOLO-1.jpg

After adding a bit of a bevel it drops freely in DA without any stacking like I had before. However, now I am wondering how much I can reduce the interrupter tip now.

Anyway, the trigger feels fine where it is now on the .4630, so I'll test with CCI before I take anymore off the tip and potentially ruin the part.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

How is the gun setup? Sounds like it's 1pc sear, bolo, Titan, etc from the previous posts you've made.

How aggressively are the CCIs being seated in reloading - how deep do they measure?

Yep, 1 pc, bolo, titan, 15.5lb hammer spring, PD optimized firing pin spring. Well fitted stock firing pin, which has been more reliable for me than the PD enhanced. The PD enhanced doesn't drag and actually hits a pencil higher than the stock. It however is inconsistent at lighting off winchesters in DA, while the stock pin isn't. The gun was setup by PD prior to the enhanced pin existing with the goal of lighting off winchester. With all the new parts/mods I am just seeing if it is possible to use CCI now.

The CCI's will not light off no matter how many re-strikes you try with the hammer.

I have a XL 650, so the depth isn't adjustable. I have the shell plate as tight as I can while making the machine still operable. I'll measure some to see how deep they are.

Edited by CarlB86

33 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I haven't had a light strike in thousands of rounds with cci or winchester since I went to the 14# spring and PD pin. Using a 1050 though.

Your 1050 makes all the difference.

Primer depth with CCI magnums was huge for me. A flush one still won't light consistently (maybe 80% of the time in DA) with my gun set up the way it is.

On a 650, I think shimming the bracket on the frame for the primer seating ram with a small washer really helped. Before that, flush was about as far as I could go.

@CarlB86 I can promise you one thing... Swap the PD 15.5 out with an EGD Medium spring and your trigger pull won't get too much heavier, and it'll light pretty much anything in one strike. If you really really want a glock-like Tanfo, it's the spring to use.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'll do some experimenting this week. If nothing works, then I'll just have to be content on Winchester primers. The CCI are just so cheap and easily found that I thought it would be cool if this mod would allow me to use them.

Hi guys
OK So I got my BOLO today

I have PD 14 Pound Yellow Spring with Titan Hammer and Extreme one piece sear.

I had the Bolo fitted today and it feels really good.
I am having light strikes on DA. SA is perfect with no issues.

I am at 0.456inch now. I am afraid to take off anymore. The old interuptor does make the hammer go further back in DA.

Should I use a stronger spring? I am using S&B primers.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Here we go again. [emoji3] 

Measure your primers. How deeply are they seated? What reloading press are you using?

Sorry Dude pretty new to all this.
I am using a Dillon 650 and Primers are not deeply seated. Pretty flush to be honest.

30 minutes ago, GTIV said:

I am using a Dillon 650 and Primers are not deeply seated. Pretty flush to be honest.

Flush primers were good to go with a striker fired plastic gun.

Flush primers are HIGH PRIMERS for a hammer fired one with reduced power springs.

Shim the bracket on the frame that your primer seating punch comes down onto. Loosen the bolts, slide a small washer under it, retighten.

Now drive your primers home like you're trying to bend your strong mount or rip the press out of the bench. Use calipers to measure how deeply your primers are seated before and after, then shoot a batch of ammo with deeper primers and you should find a big increase in reliability.

The 650 does a worse job of seating primers to a fixed depth than any other common press, and those of us who load on one have to accept that fact and run a bit more hammer spring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

With all these gun tuning threads and custom parts, etc, you'd think someone would make an adjustable primer seater for the 550 and 650 so the peons don't have to stress so much over their ammo 

25 minutes ago, waktasz said:

With all these gun tuning threads and custom parts, etc, you'd think someone would make an adjustable primer seater for the 550 and 650 so the peons don't have to stress so much over their ammo 

I looked into that, actually.

The primer ram does not come apart fully to machine a longer replacement. Then looked at making a bracket so the shim wasn't required. But for the cost of a shim vs. a bracket... didn't make much sense... at least in theory. 

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Here we go again. :D 

Measure your primers. How deeply are they seated? What reloading press are you using?

1 hour ago, GTIV said:

Lol, it's like people don't even read before asking the same question over and over. 

I did read the thread. I have been following it from the first day.
However I was unsure so I asked. Thanks for the response.

I still don't understand the part about the primers but I will investigate more tomorrow.

The same rounds work in CZ Shadow and CZ Shadow2 and those are also Hammer Fired.

The other thing is that I may have did something wrong with the Bolo as prior to the Bolo installation I did not suffer with any light strikes.

what I did notice is the old interuptor does push the hammer further back than the PD Bolo

When I fitted this bolo it would not work on SA. I followed the Instructions from PD website and got SA Working.
DA would not even push the hammer back.. it seems we have a thicker trigger bar here in ZA.
So I spoke to PD and Joe told me what to do and Now the DA does push hammer back and breaks as well fine.

I think I just need the hammer to go further back on DA.

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

How is the gun setup? Sounds like it's 1pc sear, bolo, Titan, etc from the previous posts you've made.

How aggressively are the CCIs being seated in reloading - how deep do they measure?

CCI is showing .045"