Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BOLO Tuning for a longer DA pull

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shaved it down to .359" which is where I'm going to stop for now. It was definitely rubbing the frame in my gun, too.

I found a fairly repeatable way to measure DA travel, too. As long as you try hard to get the caliper in the exact same spot on the hammer each time:

IMG_4085.thumb.JPG.176f3fe2b731bcc669ce92974499e71f.JPG

I used the hammer to squeeze the caliper closed until it fired. I took a five-pull average...

.340" gap between frame and beaver tail before.

.315" gap after.

After this weekend I might remove another .003" from the BOLO. Maybe.

The rearmost line is SA position of hammer face. The two closely spaced lines are the DA positions, before and after:

IMG_4084.thumb.JPG.73f0c365758a38f3d14c4886e89f9d6f.JPG

Trigger pull feels unchanged. I'm currently running a PD 13 and the factory plunger spring with 2 coils clipped off. It'll be eating Winchester primers Saturday and has always run 100% on them with that spring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Mine is .462 to start not .465...

I guess I may not need to remove as much. Time to ruin a part three days before a match!

IMG_4081.JPG

Within .003"...... probably time to get your calipers calibrated..... but close enough for us to do what we're looking for.

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

Within .003"...... probably time to get your calipers calibrated..... but close enough for us to do what we're looking for.

And by calibrated, you mean buy a new pair from China Depot... errr Harbor Freight... and chunk these in the trash

Those will only be off by .002"!

31 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

Just a few passes with a file won't hurt anything........ :)

Joe, refresh our (my) memory on what the goal is with this. My new Stock II (now that the safety is fitted properly) is running like a German train schedule. With correctly seated primers it lights off anything.

Longer swing radius from the hammer in DA.  This will keep the BOLO on the trigger bar a little longer allowing the hammer to cam rearwards more.  Remember Force = Mass & Acceleration.  Acceleration is a function of distance & time, longer distance at speed = more acceleration = distance/time / time

38 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Joe, refresh our (my) memory on what the goal is with this. My new Stock II (now that the safety is fitted properly) is running like a German train schedule. With correctly seated primers it lights off anything.

Some guns have a smaller space under the disconnector due to many dimensional tolerances.  that can both make the bolo (or other disco) raise up and off the trigger bar too soon, making a weaker DA strike. AND some start to  bind which increases friction and trigger pull. 

One of mine DROPPED by 6oz trigger pull after doing this AND increasing hammer swing arc AND swapping out a pd14 for a pd15.5 spring.

Yes! Longer swing arc, stronger spring AND  lower pull force in DA. 

Some may duplicate that result, some may not.  my son's lim pro.... didn't. But his was swinging full arc already.

Mine rolls back much further now. My original bolo height was longer than most being .4685. Took it down to .4615 with some 800 grit sandpaper. Arc is visibly longer than it was. Gonna test some cci primers that this thing would not set off in da. Thanks to the guys at patriot defense!

If you still have the factory interruptor,  they aren't as valuable. Better test case.

So.... if modifing the OEM one will also increase the DA back travel ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, emjei said:

Joe..... what if we send the BOLO to you guys? ??? ..... Is that an option without actually sending the gun ??

no, we would need the pistol in order for this to work. 

39 minutes ago, emjei said:

So.... if modifing the OEM one will also increase the DA back travel ????

i don't know if it will or not, never messed with an OEM one besides throwing them in the trash can......

On 6/7/2017 at 11:31 AM, PatriotDefense said:

glad to see it helping some of you guys out.......

Update: Ended up taking another .003" off of it without scrapping anything, and called it good at that point. Hammer comes back another .030" or so.

With a PD 15.5, the gun lit off anything at a 5.8lb DA pull weight this weekend. I mean CCI Magnums and Tula primers loaded on a 650 - it doesn't care.

No more EGD Medium spring. No more stacking DA pull.

Well... remember that we are a tiny tiny percentage of the gun owning population.

Even if everyone who wants an IDPA / USPSA capable Limited Pro rushed out and bought one tomorrow if they were available, I have a hard time imagining them selling more than a few hundred of them nationwide.

My suspicion is that it was their slowest moving model, so they dropped it and they're trying to insert something more popular into the imported gun lineup.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Update: Ended up taking another .003" off of it without scrapping anything, and called it good at that point. Hammer comes back another .030" or so.

With a PD 15.5, the gun lit off anything at a 5.8lb DA pull weight this weekend. I mean CCI Magnums and Tula primers loaded on a 650 - it doesn't care.

No more EGD Medium spring. No more stacking DA pull.

Nice.