Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Getting Caught in the Rifling of Shadow 2 Barrel

WiII

OP here,

I wanted to follow up incase anyone was interested, or somebody finds this thread by googling.

I decided to have my barrel throated/reamed by patriot defense and I am pleased with the results. I had received a 500 bullet certificate for the precision bullets so I felt that the expense of the service was justified. I have not noticed diminished accuracy or any other issues with my barrel. 

Ultimately I decided not to use precision bullets. Precision specially advises against titegroup usage and I have a surplus of titegroup. I opted for Acme 147's instead, despite them being slightly more expensive. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too sent my Shadow 2 barrel to Patriot Defense.  They had it back in the mail to me the next day and it works perfectly.  Accuracy is outstanding, and all of the ammo that I have loaded for my other guns works just fine now.  Very pleased with the results.

• 9 months later...
On 6/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, IDescribe said:

Should have been?    According to whom?  There is no design requirement for a specific length to the free-bore -- the distance between the head-spacing step and the leading edge of the rifling lands.  Different manufacturers ream the chamber with a free bore of different lengths, based on their design needs.  There are lots of places in the world where RN is the only profile that's legal.  And most military forces use FMJ-RN "ball" ammo for standard issue pistol ammo.  That's what these short-throated Eurpoean pistols are reamed for: RN.  The Springfield XD is a rebadged Croat pistol, and it's the same way.  And some Walther pistols are reamed with the same shorter free-bore.  There are others.  

So I'm not sure where the should have been comes from, especially when the bullets that can't be loaded in these short-throated chambers are rare.  Most of the people reaming their chambers aren't doing so because they want to use a bullet that won't work.  They're doing so because they want to create one load to use in all their pistols.  Which also means they aren't interested in tuning their loads to their specific pistols, which is one of the biggest advantages of reloading.  And it also means that they are either ignoring, or they haven't figured out that they can STILL have one load for all their pistols by loading to the pistol with the shortest maximum OAL and using THAT load in all of their pistols. Reaming is not necessary.  And it's only barely a convenience.

The primary concern would be a negative impact on accuracy.  As I said earlier in this thread, if you ask on Benos, barrel reaming is a no risk proposition that everyone should do, but if you ask at CZFirearms, reaming holds the risk of degrading accuracy, and while I can't tell you I've seen anyone at that forum who has done it and had accuracy suffer, some of the old-timers in that forum refer to people in the past who have had exactly that happen -- reduced accuracy.  

I've never reamed a barrel.  I've never had it done by someone else.  I don't know anyone myself who has had a barrel a reamed barrel where that resulted in reduced accuracy. I do not claim to know with any sort of educated certainty WHY a reduction in accuracy might happen (though I have some good guesses).   HOWEVER, I do know people who have had gunsmiths identify poor factory reams, where re-reaming actually improved accuracy.  And it stands to reason that if it's possible to for a good re-ream to fix a poor factory ream, then it's possible for a poor re-ream to ruin a good factory ream.  If you have an accurate pistol re-reamed, it might come back less accurate than it went out.  This may be incredibly uncommon, but there IS some risk associated with a re-ream.  Whether or not that risk is worth being able to load to some arbitrary and unnecessary but preferred OAL is up to the gun owner.  

Damn it!  What this site is missing is the ability to rate comments.  This one is ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️.  I can’t imagine doing anything as drastic as reaming out the chamber.  Loaded close to 1000 147gn Campro RNFP bullets at 1.14 only to find out after that even though they passed the plunk test, they did not pass the spin.  Back to the press with a quick adjustment to 1.11 and they were fine, took less than 40 minutes and they shoot accurately.  Great post and explanation @IDescribe

Edited by MsDV8
Mistaken word

I bought a Barsto barrel for my g34, and the oal that I wanted to use with MG, and PD bullets would not work unless run real short.  I contacted Barsto and they told me that their barrels were min. Sammi specs and would chamber any commercially made ammo by a reputable company.    I had a few jhp’s and rn’s and sure enough all of them passed the plunk test.  So know I had about 6k of bullets that I could not use unless loaded short.  I bought the throater and did my barrel.  In hindsight and after reading this thread I wish I had left it alone.  In loading short I was not near the .300 threshold and could have used my stash of bullets.  At least for me accuracy did not suffer and I can load any bullet profile without worrying about oal, at least for the bullets I’m using.  I now check anything new.  Thanks for a informative thread.