Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Feeding Issues (9mm) - Help

IFlynn

I've been having an issue with a 2011 I had built in 9mm. About once every 250 rounds I have a failure to feed, where the 9mm (147gr round nose) hits the feed ramp and sticks, thus resulting in a failure to feed. Sometimes I can tap the back of the slide and the round chambers, other times it won't go and I have to rack the slide and get a new round in the gun during a match. This has cost me time in 3 gun matches and I really want to get this gun running at 100% reliability. Not sure what to do to stop rounds from hitting the feed ramp and fix this issue. 

- 2011 Pistol

- 9mm with Clark Para Feed Ramp style barrel (chambered to 1.141)

- 9# variable recoil spring and 17# mainspring

- 147gr 9mm berry's, 1.135 OAL

*My first step is probably going to be to load longer, out to the 1.141 this barrel is chambered to. That said, I'm not loading particularly short either, so not sure if that's the issue. Other than loading out to 1.141 I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

What mags are you running and what guts are in them?

Sounds like you are using stI mags with stock followers. Sti mags are good but you need to use grams guts.

27 minutes ago, louu said:

Sounds like you are using stI mags with stock followers. Sti mags are good but you need to use grams guts.

MBX Mags, they should be good to go

27 minutes ago, louu said:

Not sure loading shorter would increase reliability. Again, my chamber is reamed to 1.141

I would try loading longer.  Also check your feed lips as they might be too tight.  I run mine at .358 rather than .355.  this points them up a little more.  Also make sure you are not slowing the slide down with your thumb.  I had the same issue, 1 in 500 and couldn't figure it out until I stopped the slide.  Installed PT thumb safety and problem went away. 

Round nose pills

Agreed
I've spent a week diagnosing similar issues in my new open gun... although the problem was much worse. I haven't been able to get a full mag without a jamb, nothing over 12-15 rounds...

Ordered Dawson kit.
I checked feed lips, mag front/back dimensions, oal (tried loading from 1.13 - 1.17), mbx 140,155,170 and sti 170...

Been trying to use precision delta 124g hps...

Just tried out some old round nose 124s I had for my production guns and all 4 mags feed every round flawlessly... might need to either switch to round nose or find another hollow point my gun can eat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with MBX mags.  I could get them to feed RNFP bullets but not TC reliably.  It turns out the feed lips were parallel, rather than wider at the front.  Correcting that cured the problem.

I also have a problem riding the thumb safety and occasionally slowing the slide.  I will be installing shielded thumb safeties shortly.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to load longer. That said, I'm already using round nose bullets, and I'm 100% not riding the slide with my thumb/fingers. I've never had reloading issues like this, I used to shoot an edge in 40s&w, and reload 45acp, 9mm in CZ shadow, and I've always had fantastic reliability.  Hopefully loading a but longer will stop the problem. If not I'll have to go through my mags and get them tuned, though, I've never had mag issues before either.