Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultrasonic Cleaning Solutions (Revisited)

Folks,

I know I bring an often discussed topic back to light - but I think much has changed since some of the original threads on Ultrasonic cleaning liquids/solutions were posted. I just received as a gift, a Hornady Lock and Load Ultrasonic 7L cleaner. Now I am looking for effective cleaning solutions to use with it. I will be using in on several competition pistols that have been built - and thus contain stainless steel, blued steel, aluminum, polymer and plastic parts (S&W Victory race gun, Ruger Mark II Bullseye gun, M&P Pro 9L, and S&W 1911 9mm - all with various after market parts from Volquartsen, TandemKross, Wilson, Clark, Striplin, etc.).

My research noted that several companies have various Ultrasonic cleaners and post cleaning lubricants. I would greatly appreciate any feed back on the associated products, their use and things to avoid. Will break this into two sections - (1) Cleaners and (2) Chemical Dryer/Lubricators. 

So, regarding the cleaning solutions - I was clean gun parts - cleaning every 300-500 rnds. The leaders I am seeing are: 

• Crest Ultrasonic (Chem-Crest)
  • Hornady Lock and Load Cleaner (One Shot) - Gun Parts
  • Lyman Sonic Gun Cleaner
  • Slip 2000 #725 
  • Slip 2000 Ultrasonic Cleaner
  • Shooter's Choice Ultrasonic Cleaner
  • Microline 90
  • Brownell's Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid
  • M-Pro 7
  • L&R Mfg. Safety Weapon Cleaning Solution #215
  • Home grown - Ed's Red (Trany fuild, mineral spirits, kerosene); Simple Green; Lemishine & Dawn; Dawn only; Purple Power & Dawn; 

As to post cleaning "dunk" chemical drying/lubing, looking for water displacement and light "dry" films - not waxy or oily. I will still oil (rem oil) critical contract points

•  Crest Ultrasonic Lube (Chem-Crest)
  • Lyman Turbo Sonic Gun Lube
  • Slip 2000 Ultra-Thin Gun Lube
  • Slip 2000 EWL
  • Brownells Ultrasonic Oil
  • L&R Mfg. Safety Ultrasonic Weapon Lubricating Solution # 212
  • Home Grown - WD40; Mineral spirits & rem oil; Tranny fluid and mineral spirits/acetone; One Shot Case Lube; Ballistol; 

Thoughts views and experience are MORE than welcome.. 

Thanks!! 

Slip 2000 725 works great, as does their Gun Lube and EWL.  I think I prefer the lube over the EWL for Open gun rails and ways.  I like EWL for the internals.

Update:

1) Cleaners

• I am trying Hornady's Cleaner and seems to work well .. for now.
  • Been told the Simple Green needs to the HD new version, otherwise some pitting on aluminum make/will occur
  • Have been told (by Crest Cleaning) that all part should be air blasted prior to lubing to remove carbon pieces and water before lubing

2) Dunk lubes

• Am trying the CC-400L for now.  Seems to do a good product jobs. Actually too good of a job. I cleaned the guns, and while they were still warm placed into the lube for 10 mins.   Removed them and let them drip dry for 24 hrs. Results were a very well lubed pistol.  Too much so, even after wiping, it was still "too greasy". I contacted Firearms Cleaning, in NJ (Crest Cleaning Agent) and discussed the issue (too much lube).  He advised the process I am using is wrong. His suggestions were to:
    • Use Hot water and a good solution for the cleaning (10 mins or so, 130 degrees or so)
    • Remove and using compressed air, blow everything dry. Firing pin holes, nooks and crannies, etc.  The cleaner will vibrate off carbon and stuff, but the particle size may not allow them to leave small areas (firing pin tunnels, extractor grooves, etc.)
    • After air blasts, heat the lube (120 to 130) and place parts in it.. place into the sonic system and vibrate for 4-5 mins. If I want a thicket coat, use a lower temperature.

Anyways, that's my update for now. Summary: Hornady cleaner works well. CC-400L Gun Lube is great for long term storage, not sure I can recommend for every day use (at this time - I will try the suggested method and report the results).

Anyone have any experience with Slip 2000 gun lube? That will be my fall back plan..

• 2 weeks later...

We use acetone in our ultrasonic cleaner at the shop. Cheaper than anything you can buy and will have your parts looking like the day you bought it. **You're not really supposed to use flammable liquids in ultrasonic cleaners so do it at your own risk. But it works amazingly well. 
Of course you will want to be careful putting any non steel/aluminum/etc in using acetone. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 9:12 PM, PrimaryBruce said:

We use acetone in our ultrasonic cleaner at the shop. Cheaper than anything you can buy and will have your parts looking like the day you bought it. **You're not really supposed to use flammable liquids in ultrasonic cleaners so do it at your own risk. But it works amazingly well. 
Of course you will want to be careful putting any non steel/aluminum/etc in using acetone. 

Full strength or diluted?