Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 rimfire pistols

lawboy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

Should pretty much sum it up for you.  In competition, especially high level, “conversion” is a four letter word.  Plinking, or playing, sure.  Racing a Yugo against Porsches no matter what the Yugo cost.

BS.  I've shot Steel with stock and custom Rugers, stock and full custom Buckmarks, a Volquartsen Scorpion, a Hammerli X-esse and a High Standard Supermatic.  Absolutely none of them were as reliable as my Marvel Unit One conversion or my Custom CWA conversion.  I've run the CWA conversion on my 1911 frame for the past two seasons.  The only problems I've encountered were failures to fire.  It seems no matter what ammo you use, one out of every 300~400 round does not fire.

That was not the case with the others.  I had one problem or another during every match.  So the four letter word I'd use for my conversions is GOOD.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

BS.  I've shot Steel with stock and custom Rugers, stock and full custom Buckmarks, a Volquartsen Scorpion, a Hammerli X-esse and a High Standard Supermatic.  Absolutely none of them were as reliable as my Marvel Unit One conversion or my Custom CWA conversion.  I've run the CWA conversion on my 1911 frame for the past two seasons.  The only problems I've encountered were failures to fire.  It seems no matter what ammo you use, one out of every 300~400 round does not fire.

That was not the case with the others.  I had one problem or another during every match.  So the four letter word I'd use for my conversions is GOOD.

Hmmm...that must be why all the pros run them.  Wait...

What the Pros shoot is of no concern to me.  I know what runs for me.  BTW, I see lots of other conversions at the East Coast Steel Challenge series, mostly Marvel units.  So I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

I tried the 2011 .22 this year and it didn't seem to work out too well for me. I was trying to keep all my handguns the on the same platform for the constant same feel. But the problem I ran into was the weight difference from the .22 2011 to my 9mm 2011 and the .22 with a Tacsol top end felt very sluggish. What I mean by that is my 9mm is snappy and my 22/45 is snappy, you can tell by feel if the slide goes into full battery but the .22 2011 felt like it was shooting in slow motion. To me it feels like the .22 round doesn't have enough power to move the slide. The gun runs 100% but the sluggish feel just bothered me, I would constantly think I had a FTF or FTE and it didn't go back into battery so now I'm back to the 22/45. Its probably just a mind game that I was playing but the Ruger just works better for me.

5 hours ago, Hammer002 said:

Max Michel, Dave Sevigny, Jessie Harrison, and Mike Setting (current senior world champion) all run the same RFPO setup as me, which is Marvel conversion with a Pace Setting Design modified top rail/comp combo on a dedicated 1911 lower.  They may they qualify as pros...

A little hard to tell but this looks like Jessie shooting a PSD modified conversion. 

536D29B4-BE9B-484B-90C3-4960D2029EB0.jpeg

Edited by jkrispies

I shoot a Marvel on a 1911 frame; one of the mags has intermittent issues but the other 4 all run great.  As others have said, I did it because I typically shoot way more USPSA than steel challenge and I wanted a consistent grip feel.  My Mark III is the gun I've owned the longest but now the grip angle just feels weird to me.

The Nelson is a lot more critical of ejector shape (size) and mag height.  They design their mags for a GI height mag catch shelf.  If you have one that is higher, the feed lips push up against the extractor and cause feeding problems.   So you have to change mag catches.  I tried that twice with two separate units.  If I got the 22 mags to run, my 45 mags would not.  I wasn't willing to change anything on my custom 1911, so I ditched them.  I then bought a Unit One and had zero problems.

That being said, four of my friends shoot bullseye with Nelson conversions without problems.  It just depends on your gun.

OK here is my take. I have seen a lot of cool rimfire 2011s from people like Grimes and Striplin, but I have seldom competed against people shooting conversions. Some history, BJ and I use to talk over this forum back in the late 2000's when we were both shooting Buckmarks because we did similar testing with various parts. Later when he shot for S&W he used a conversion on top of his scandium frame, which he said he used because it felt the same as his open gun. When he left S&W and was on his own he showed up at the Ruger Worlds that year  shooting a Ruger Mk III (non-22/45). When I asked him why he said after extensive testing he gained a tenth of a second with the Luger grip angle over a 1911 grip angle on the first shot. So I built a Frankenruger Mk III (only the bolt is still a Ruger part) and it does seem to be faster even though the grip does not seem as easy to hold secure as the 1911 angle on my Buckmarks. And both guns are built as identical as possible, with the same C-Mores, same 90 degree mounts, TacSol barrels, Allchin comps, Hogue G10 grips, and the "Ruger" uses a VQ lower frame to match the alloy frame of the Browning. Both weigh 27 ozs. fully equipped. I built my own thumb rests on both. Both have triggers in the 1.75-2 lb range. Both are reliable as can be. I mainly use the Frankenruger right now and it has not had to rack a round from a dud or FTF in at least a year and it shoots practice, 3 club matches a month ( 2 are year round regardless of weather), and any big matches that happen to come up (36g CCI for club and 40g CCI for big matches). As I have mentioned before my Buckmark went 49 straight matches in the 2011-2013 time frame without a single malfunction of any sort, shooting exclusively CCI 40g. And yes I know every trouble spot the BM can have as the gun passed 50K rounds in the space of about 6 years or so and parts got replaced. Early model which I happen to like better than the post 2001 models. But I don't shoot it now mainly because Browning stopped producing the early firing pins and I bought the last ones available at the time and the last one is in the gun (I actually have 2 early BMs). Last I heard no one's making new ones.

As for 1911/2011 conversions I would not mind trying one. I won a Colt Competition .45 last year which I only use for bowling pin matches, and I have my old open STI that I don't shoot anymore plus my old Bull M-5 Limited gun. Even though the Bul has the better of the last 2 triggers (its an old Bul Custom Shop gun) I doubt any conversion will fit it due to the fact it like Para mags over STI type mags. Both guns are 9x23mm. I never tried converting either mainly due to the cost of TacSol double stack mags back when I considered it. But maybe with different options I might do it just to test out. Not for muscle memory reasons because I mainly shoot Glocks these days in centerfire.

• 1 month later...

I know of at least two pros that run the Marvel top end, because my coach built their guns. The Marvel runs amazingly well and is extremely accurate. I’m going from my Ruger 22/45 to a Marvel conversion as soon as I free up the $$. This is my buddy’s gun, but mine will be set up the same way.

91aff0580cc0373ab4d5f8ec94138fa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 4:27 PM, blacklab said:

I tried the 2011 .22 this year and it didn't seem to work out too well for me. I was trying to keep all my handguns the on the same platform for the constant same feel. But the problem I ran into was the weight difference from the .22 2011 to my 9mm 2011 and the .22 with a Tacsol top end felt very sluggish. What I mean by that is my 9mm is snappy and my 22/45 is snappy, you can tell by feel if the slide goes into full battery but the .22 2011 felt like it was shooting in slow motion. To me it feels like the .22 round doesn't have enough power to move the slide. The gun runs 100% but the sluggish feel just bothered me, I would constantly think I had a FTF or FTE and it didn't go back into battery so now I'm back to the 22/45. Its probably just a mind game that I was playing but the Ruger just works better for me.

Your 2011 22lr must be on a steel frame. I have three on aluminum frames and they are very snappy, and VERY responsive to grip pressure, which is what I require in any pistol for any form of action shooting.

20 hours ago, lawboy said:

Your 2011 22lr must be on a steel frame. I have three on aluminum frames and they are very snappy, and VERY responsive to grip pressure, which is what I require in any pistol for any form of action shooting. 

Yes it is on a steel frame. Aluminum makes that much of a difference?

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yes it is on a steel frame. Aluminum makes that much of a difference?

OMG, yes! I have a Marvel Unit 1 with the aluminum Marvel comp and a Vortex Venom MRD with their Weaver mount. STI polymer grip with large aluminum magwell, polymer MSH. Aluminum *thumb rest [generic]*. The whole thing weighs less than 2lbs.

Edited by lawboy

To those using Marvel conversions ... have you changed the mainspring or just the recoil spring to shoot high velocity ammo? And what ambient temp do you shoot at? I had to bump up to MiniMags from the bulk Federal Match (1200fps) to avoid extraction/ejection issues on my 1911 with the std hammer spring. Did not have the problem on the lower w reduced hammer spring.

I have two dedicated 2011s with Marvel Unit 1s and one dedicated 2011 with a Nelson unit. I think I am running #18 or #19 mainsprings. I have #9 recoil springs, I think. I use the slideglide lube for rimfires on all of them. I use it sparingly.  I shoot MiniMag, Aguila SE HV, Armscor HVHP, and a bunch of other high velocity ammo out of them. The Armscor is particularly hot and runs the comps well.