Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

being an idiot

fmiller

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum exists as an exchange of knowledge. Telling someone he needs to "be a man" is awfully easy over the internet. Not every one at a match is stone cold operator.

If you read the thread, not once did he complain for the DQs, only asked for help in mentally planning a stage to so he would make less mistakes. I think he got some sound advice.

Sometimes that experience comes with time, practice.... other times, some never do really get it and move on slower paced endeavors.   Either way, asking for help is not being less of a man - I'd say more so.  Each to his own.

You are correct when you come to the firing line after your walk thru to make ready and your mind goes blank.  But first, make sure your plan is solid, you have your foot positions and stance down, and your round count and target positions before this happens.  Your feet and body should follow what your rehearsed time and time again.  There may be targets missed the first time or two, but this falls  back on stage walk-thru and preparation.  It will start to become natural the more you do it.  Also, read the stage description and round count before the walk-thru.  Where your mistake occurs is when you watch other shooters just before you and think, "Man, I think I'll do that too!"  Then you may end up chasing that shooter's time/ movements and you've just aborted all the preparation you have done by changing your plan up.  Most likely, you will totally screw up the stage.  Stick to YOUR plan once it's locked in, visualize each shooting position and the targets on each before you get to the firing line and everything should go pretty well.  As far as being DQ'ed, chalk it up as a learning lesson for things to practice and not do in the next match.  Be cognizant of your muzzle at all times and practice movement with a clear weapon before you get to the range with movement in all directions, to include the draw facing uprange.

Edited by xd1977

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 3:24 PM, sfinney said:

This forum exists as an exchange of knowledge. Telling someone he needs to "be a man" is awfully easy over the internet. Not every one at a match is stone cold operator.

If you read the thread, not once did he complain for the DQs, only asked for help in mentally planning a stage to so he would make less mistakes. I think he got some sound advice.

Sometimes that experience comes with time, practice.... other times, some never do really get it and move on slower paced endeavors.   Either way, asking for help is not being less of a man - I'd say more so.  Each to his own.

LOL read his name it and his signature screams troll from the mountain top. prob just a static shooter that hasnt even shot a match.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, benchmstr said:

have you considered the technique I refer to as "being a man"? it requires you to focus and get the job done instead of being violently shaking and nervous like a virgin on her wedding night....highly recommend you try it

Just now read this. 

What a low-life thing to say, but probably expected from someone named bench master. Always sitting on the bench. Never in the game.

• 1 month later...

Everyone in this post seems to be spot on in one way or another, when you are first starting out, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" is the mantra I was trained with, that goes back to my Navy AT/FP and VBSS team days. But that same mantra is still taught at most military shooting & CQB schools, so trust me, it works; as stated in other posts dry-firing is an awesome tool to make yourself a better shooter and competitor; when I was at the top of my game, and getting ready for the 2011 World Shoot in Greece, I dry-fired an hour a day minimum and I also incorporated visualization training, which really helped; Saul Kirsh does a good job on that subject in on of his books, and Dr. Jason Selk also covers it well in some of his works. You can check out the "Sharpening the Warriors Edge" by Bruce Siddle also; Hope this helps.

Edited by MQW

• 9 months later...

As long as you stay safe, no one will judge you for how slow you shoot.  If anything, they'll have a particular appreciation for someone who is new to the game concentrating on doing it the right way before doing it the 'fast' way.  Your natural speed will increase the more you do it.

As far as planning, I would say it's good to see how others do it before you, but figure out what will work best for you...what hits you'll be more likely to get in which order, where you'll most effectively reload.  And then for me, I have to run it through a lot and really start to focus as my turn comes up.  I can drift a bit if there are a lot of shooters before me...you get into talking gear or what have you with others, and then bang you're up and you can screw up something very simple because you weren't zoning in while in the hole or on deck.  Then afterwards you beat yourself up...and that's negativity you don't need, especially if it's early in the match.

So I would say figure out a plan that you know you can execute well, then do what you need to do to make sure you're locked in before you load an make ready.  Know that you've got this.

Edited by MoRivera

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 8:41 PM, uewpew said:

With the limited amount of details given, here are my tips:

1.  go slow & safe at matches.  There's a lot of information your brain is trying to process and trying to go faster than what you can process leads to problems.  

2.  LOTS of practice (dry & live) until safe gun handling is part of your nature.  

We all start somewhere! 

On 7/22/2018 at 3:40 PM, Davidp1911 said:

There are two types of shooter. Those who were DQ'd and those who are about to DQ'd... know your limits starting out, speed will come as you become more experienced.

Is this Master Yoda? 

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sarge, I thought you gave up trying to educate people a few years ago ?    ?

Well, lately there has been a huge jump in the number of posts seeking or offering adviSe. One can only stand so much!?

On 7/22/2018 at 12:40 PM, Davidp1911 said:

There are two types of shooter. Those who were DQ'd and those who are about to DQ'd... know your limits starting out, speed will come as you become more experienced.

I thought you taught Obi Wan there were 3 types?  Those who are about to DQ, those who have DQ'd and those who will DQ again!

On 8/20/2018 at 8:48 PM, Davidp1911 said:

Advise I will give...

On 8/21/2018 at 5:40 AM, Sarge said:

Master yoda doesn’t know its adviCe not adviSe.

Spell checking and yet everyone missed that Yoda would say "give will I".

This forum is just really disheartening some days. 

Wish I had the stomach to read diddly project, but they would have Yoda saying F words and then some kind of sick picture with an animal. 

10 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Spell checking and yet everyone missed that Yoda would say "give will I".

This forum is just really disheartening some days. 

Wish I had the stomach to read diddly project, but they would have Yoda saying F words and then some kind of sick picture with an animal. 

Only a nerd would catch the Yoda Mistake.

Don’t be disheartened. Advise/advice used to be a running gag of mine. I stopped mentioning it after it became futile.?

Doody is only useful when you want more truth than is allowed here. But for the most part it’s aptly named.

• 4 weeks later...