Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mounts for AR-15 ?

best type of mount for 3 gun would be one of the one piece models with 2-3" offset- like JP, Vortex, Burris, Samson, etc. These mounts are solid (3 to 5 base screws) and can take the beating of a match on a 3 gun rifle so the zero does not change or the mount does not come loose..

I have several different brands (always trying new/different stuff).

I install/use BUIS on my AR's.  If you don't then the following advice isn't needed - I buy/use mounts that put my scope where I can use the same cheek weld as the BUIS.  No changes.  Consistency is important, to me.  If I have to pull the scope off I want my cheek/eye in the same place when I pop up the sights.

I have a couple sets of Warne QD rings on "risers" on AR15's.  I do like them.  If I pull the scope off the riser, use the irons, and then reinstall the QD rings/scope in the same slots on the riser the scope/rifle/bullet is still dialed in.

Oh, I have no consistency in scopes though.  Some illuminated, some not, some low power variable, some mid range variable, some 1", and some 30 MM.

Yeah, I know it's an old thread someone "restarted."

They are lightweight, look smooth, don't loosen after firing many rounds.  Personally, I like them because there are no protrusions on the left side, makes it ideal for a side charge upper.  (look at the above picture)

I have a JP, Samson, and a Vortex one piece offset mount for my AR's that I use for 3 gun. They have never come loose or lost zero after many, many, many 3 gun matches (club to Nationals) under all sorts of conditions. I had one scope mounted with rings on an AR when I first started shooting 3 gun- it became loose during a match (did not know it) and I could not hit a 100 or 200 yard target. After the match I immediately went to the JP. Eventually got the Vortex and then the Samson. Things have been fine ever since.