Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revolver Optics Division

NoSteel

USPSA Revolver Optics Division  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you shoot it as a provisional Division?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's a Revolver

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, revoman said:

Shoot ICORE they have a place for the 6 shot and you only compete against 6 shot. You can shoot major in ICORE but it doesn’t get you anything except maybe a few funny looks. 

Not unless I want an 8-10 hour drive round trip for matches. 

Switching to 8 did more harm than good. I know 6-8 people personally who just gave it up instead.

Edited by cas

19 hours ago, cas said:

Switching to 8 did more harm than good. I know 6-8 people personally who just gave it up instead.

And what did they prove by giving it up besides reducing the numbers and insuring the end of the division. Oh well some can except change and some can’t.

By the way I drove 6 hours round trip today to shoot an ICORE match had a great time. ✌🏻

Man I sure hope revolver division isn’t dead because I’m gearing up for this. There is just something completely different about shooting revo that is not like shooting any other division and I wish others would experience it for them selves.

17 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Man I sure hope revolver division isn’t dead because I’m gearing up for this. There is just something completely different about shooting revo that is not like shooting any other division and I wish others would experience it for them selves.

Agreed, it just gets old being the only guy. 

On 9/7/2019 at 11:58 PM, cas said:

Not unless I want an 8-10 hour drive round trip for matches. 

Our Area match would have 6-8 revolver shooters pre 8 shot. Now it typically has a little over 10. Not really ground breaking, but not a lose either.

51 minutes ago, PatJones said:
2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Our Area match would have 6-8 revolver shooters pre 8 shot. Now it typically has a little over 10. Not really ground breaking, but not a lose either.

Which area is this? I was the only one at area 3 last year.

area 8

13 hours ago, PatJones said:
15 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Which area is this? I was the only one at area 3 last year.

Area 8. This year we had 10 shooters. But we have lost some guys just not due to 8 shot. I don't see Alec's name, I've stopped shooting revolver and I can think of two more solid shooters who were at that match and used to shoot revolver. All shot under the 8 shot rules and seemed to like them. It's just hard to keep more serious guys interested in a division with a dozen shooters and only a couple good shooters to compete against. Limited for example had 12 Masters and 8 GM's. Revolver had 10 shooters most of which are B or C class.

I don't have any interest in shooting an optic at close distance.  Though my hands and knees are declining, my eyesight is still good.  When I screw up, its between the ears. not because I can't see.  That being said, the trend in USPSA is towards higher cap and optics.  Adding an optic option to revolver would kill the division in my opinion: In order to keep up, one would have to have an optic.   However, I don't think allowing optic equipped revolvers in carry optics would cause any harm.  As, I type, I second guess myself;  allowing optic revolvers in CO would pull shooters from Revo.  USPSA is a high speed, technology driven sport... revolvers don't really mix well.  

Why are Optic mounted Revo's specifically excluded from CO?   Heck, I'm don't trust dots to work when I need them, but a 10 round 327 federal moon clipped revolver with a reliable dot would be pretty slick...

Why are Optic Revo's excluded from CO?

Jason

I asked the president and my area coordinator about this in 2016.  Both responded quickly and answered my question. Their responses are below.  Sounds like they should now be open to talking about it by now.  I think this was before they announced the higher capacity for CO.

I pitched this to the board in January, and again unofficially since then.  As of now, it is a no go.  Email your AD for sure, so that I can get support for this.  The driving factor was that we didn't allow anything without a reciprocating slide mounted optic on it.  Thanks.
Mike

Skip,
I completely understand the desire for not so young eyes to use a dot.
The board did discuss this but felt the division needed to get settled in before considering a change like this. I am sure it will come up again and now that I know your thoughts...I will make sure it comes up again.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Sherwyn

1 hour ago, Makicjf said:

Why are Optic Revo's excluded from CO?

I asked my AD a few years back. The reason that he gave me, and he said this was something other board members were very concerned with, was that “the dot mounted to the frame and not moving on the slide created an unfair advantage.”

I laughed. Hard.

40 minutes ago, MWP said:

I asked my AD a few years back. The reason that he gave me, and he said this was something other board members were very concerned with, was that “the dot mounted to the frame and not moving on the slide created an unfair advantage.”

I laughed. Hard.

That is funny, though I could see, when the mag limit was set at ten, that a top tier revo shooter might well be able to beat A class and down CO shooters with regularity.  That would look back for a fledgling division.  Now that the mag limit is 141 cm, I think the concern is moot, in all cases except a few classifiers.  Even then, the reload times ( sub 2 compared to sub 1) should create enough disparity that a smoking revo run would only be high A class.    Perhaps the powers that be should be approached again?

I can't get the idea of a 327 fed, 10 round moon clipped Dot gun outta my head.  That might be fun!  though the market would be limited and the R&D costs prohibitive compared to the return.  

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

20 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

That is funny, though I could see, when the mag limit was set at ten, that a top tier revo shooter might well be able to beat A class and down CO shooters with regularity.  That would look back for a fledgling division.  Now that the mag limit is 141 cm, I think the concern is moot, in all cases except a few classifiers.  Even then, the reload times ( sub 2 compared to sub 1) should create enough disparity that a smoking revo run would only be high A class.    Perhaps the powers that be should be approached again?

I can't get the idea of a 327 fed, 10 round moon clipped Dot gun outta my head.  That might be fun!  though the market would be limited and the R&D costs prohibitive compared to the return.  

Jason

Nothing below .355 is legal for USPSA. But it is for icore....

48 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Jason

Alot of states, Including mine, Have adopted 10 round mag limits. So, It's put revolver on a much more level playing field as far as reloads during the course of fire go.

Obviously this isnt a *good* thing, but an interesting point none the less.

I'm glad to see the discussion continues....  When I started this topic I had just competed in a couple of Steel matches in Revolver Optics, it was a ton of fun.!!  My hope was this being allowed in CO as mentioned but the 141 mag rule change pretty much would negate doing that now and being competitive..  As we see the deterioration towards lower cap magazines in many states ( Even in VT. the errosion has begun ) I think this topic will become more relevant again (especially for those of us with failing eyesight)....  I'd rather run an 8 rnd optic mounted revolver than a 10rnd restricted Open Gun!!!

Edited by NoSteel