Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revolver Optics Division

NoSteel

USPSA Revolver Optics Division  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Would you shoot it as a provisional Division?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's a Revolver

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/13/2017 at 2:59 PM, PatJones said:

Carry optics seems like the most likely home for a Revo with a dot.

At least the 8 shot guns qualify for major in open.

And are specifically disallowed in CO.

I don’t think allowing revolvers into CO would change a thing. So revolvers can use dots in Open, but not Carry Optics - but does it really matter? I don’t think a revolver would be competitive in either division, so if you wanted to run a dot, then it would be because you wanted to with the expectation of just playing for fun. I’m not saying I wouldn’t do it - it actually sounds like a blast. But I would know that I’m going to get a beat down, regardless of division. Now I am what you would call a pretty poor yardstick. But would an upper tier Revolver shooter really get a lot of satisfaction by beating up on C and D class shooters in CO? I can't imagine any scenario where they would be competitive with someone of equal skill. Now, if CO had kept 10 round capacity and revolvers were allowed, then it may present more of a challenge. As it stands, we can currently run an optic in Open, and deal with major power factor, 170mm mags, etc. just for the fun of it. Therefore, the only way to put an optic on a revolver AND be competitive while doing it, would be to make it a stand alone division. And I would play that game.

11 hours ago, PatJones said:
22 hours ago, pskys2 said:
And are specifically disallowed in CO.

I know. For no good reason either.

I lobbied my AD and Mike to include them before the magazine rule change, don't quite understand at that time why not.

Maybe they already had in mind to open up the magazine capacity and were just inching things along.

Hmmmm, maybe if uspsa allowed optics on 6 shot Major caliber Revolvers in the Revolver Division it would assuage the angst held by the previous 6 shot devotee's?

Probably not though, but I do find it an interesting idea!

Edited by pskys2

On 7/24/2018 at 9:38 PM, major2011 said:

I just emailed IDPA. It should definitely be allowed. The whole idea behind IDPA is to "shoot what you carry"... I carry a revolver with a a dot. It shouldn't be confined to semi autos. I have a semi auto race gun and I love it but I also have many revolvers and one is an open gun for ICORE. So USPSA and IDPA need to get with the program because many people carry revos with dots and would love to shoot them in competitions where ICORE is not offered in their area.

My understanding is in IDPA you can put a dot on anything that fits into another division's specs.  A 1911, glock, revolver, etc... you just have to still adhere to that divisions ammo and holster restrictions.  Hmmmm maybe I'll have to try it with my 325?

OOPS just checked the idpa website rules, I'm wrong must be a semi-auto.  I agree with you though, but not being a member they probably wouldn't listen to me.

Hope you have an effect, cause I just got a jones going to put the j-point on my 325!!!!

Edited by pskys2

When I started this thread the question was more because Steel challenge allows for revolver optics as its own division.  When the Carry Optics question came up there was a 10 rnd limit there so it was a natural Segway.... I still think it would be sweet to have 2 disciplines in which to use an optic Revo but now that steel challenge is no longer an option in my area the Revo is back to open sights!!

ps:. Glad to see we are still talking about this,. Means not everyone has sold off their revolvers yet!!

Edited by NoSteel

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed my mind, if having an optic would bring revo shooters to matches, I'd be for it.  I love shooting revo's, but at local matches I'm almost always the only one.  I signed up for Area 4, but only 2 other guys signed up for revo, so the division will not happen.  Honestly, If an 8 shot major, red dot super ultra cool widget rule would bring shooters I'd be for it.

Jason

On 8/15/2018 at 3:00 PM, Makicjf said:

I've changed my mind, if having an optic would bring revo shooters to matches, I'd be for it.  I love shooting revo's, but at local matches I'm almost always the only one.  I signed up for Area 4, but only 2 other guys signed up for revo, so the division will not happen.  Honestly, If an 8 shot major, red dot super ultra cool widget rule would bring shooters I'd be for it.

Jason

How about 8 shot minor iron sights only, 6 shot major optics allowed?  Maybe bring back a few of those who were upset over the 8 shot minor.  

I really don't have any words of wisdom here. I'm a relatively new revo guy and at age 60 I don't have optimal eyesight anymore. I get the concerns regarding numbers of shooters in a division and that revolver is a low numbers gun. I've decided to get more involved in USPSA local matches for next year and for that reason I'm shooting both optic and iron in SCSA this year.

I'm having so much troubles in iron sight that I have to literally talk myself into shooting every SCSA match ISR. It's not a hardware problem, it's just I don't have the vision anymore. So if there was a place for optics in USPSA revolver I would be interested but then when you factor in all of the other options such as Major/Minor pf there are problems there that need to be addressed. I guess no matter what the powers to be do, or if they keep things the way they are, there will be imperfections. And growing ICORE is difficult so I guess the life of a revo shooter is always going to be at best, difficult.

3 hours ago, firewood said:

And growing ICORE is difficult so I guess the life of a revo shooter is always going to be at best, difficult.

Why do you say that growing ICORE is difficult??

The number of ICORE clubs and membership numbers are much smaller then other handgun action sports. Most younger shooters gravitate to the semi autos. I'm a member of ICORE,  USPSA and IDPA. Some that might be interested don't find enough other shooters to form a club.

I like revolvers, but the only thing that is gonna bring in revolver shooters to USPSA is to give out big cash awards, to only revolver, at all matches.  That is right you would need to pay people to shoot revolver

6 hours ago, RJH said:

I like revolvers, but the only thing that is gonna bring in revolver shooters to USPSA is to give out big cash awards, to only revolver, at all matches.  That is right you would need to pay people to shoot revolver

I respectively disagree. If optic sight revolver was it’s own division, then more people would shoot revolver. I’m not claiming it’s the next PCC or anything, but people would play for sure. Maybe it’s the same people that are shooting OSR in steel challenge, or others shooting in ICORE (i.e. already hard core revolver shooters). But if it was a division, then there would be a place for those guns to run (more practically speaking than in open division). There would be past revolver shooters that may have migrated to other divisions, or perhaps a newer shooter with a TRR8/R8. Regardless, I bet participation would increase. Of course, all of the predictions above also probably reflect the demise of the regular revolver division.

2 minutes ago, J_Allen said:

I respectively disagree. If optic sight revolver was it’s own division, then more people would shoot revolver. I’m not claiming it’s the next PCC or anything, but people would play for sure. Maybe it’s the same people that are shooting OSR in steel challenge, or others shooting in ICORE (i.e. already hard core revolver shooters). But if it was a division, then there would be a place for those guns to run (more practically speaking than in open division). There would be past revolver shooters that may have migrated to other divisions, or perhaps a newer shooter with a TRR8/R8. Regardless, I bet participation would increase. Of course, all of the predictions above also probably reflect the demise of the regular revolver division.

Hell, if there were 4 shooters participation would increase

I used to shoot my 627 with a red dot in Open at local matches and it was a lot of fun.  If you've never shot an open revolver you should try it.  There is basically zero dot movement and the guns can be insanely accurate with the dot. 

If USPSA allowed optics on revolvers it couldn't hurt participation at this point.  Open shooters like to pretend that USPSA is a "heads up" shooting event anyway so why not make it reality in Revolver division and have a "run what you brung" division?  If they went on to allow 32 caliber revolvers I know a couple of shooters that would probably show up and make some people scratch their heads trying to figure out how that revolver shooter just got off 9 or 10 shots without a reload.

• 1 year later...

Only if you make it Open Revolver and give me back the six shot only division that I loved.

So I guess my answer to the question asked would be no. :D

Edited by cas

58 minutes ago, cas said:

Only if you make it Open Revolver and give me back the six shot only division that I loved.

So I guess my answer to the question asked would be no. :D

Shoot ICORE they have a place for the 6 shot and you only compete against 6 shot. You can shoot major in ICORE but it doesn’t get you anything except maybe a few funny looks. 

Change is good and if it helps revive revolver a little that is good. If it doesn’t we are still where we are at. Like I said earlier in the posts I shoot open in USPSA with my revolver and I do it because I can and I like it. Never at a major but at locals. Keeps me in practice for ICORE. 

35 minutes ago, revoman said:

Change is good and if it helps revive revolver a little that is good. If it doesn’t we are still where we are at. Like I said earlier in the posts I shoot open in USPSA with my revolver and I do it because I can and I like it. Never at a major but at locals. Keeps me in practice for ICORE

Yeah because changing revolver worked out so well last time haha.

I like revolvers, but I think USPSA should just do away with revolver division. I do however think revolver with dots should be allowed in carry Ops, or in any other division they would be legal in. Hell, even this revolver thread is 2 years old haha