Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100rd sample pack. Acme. Quality concerns.

MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, TrackCage said:

Me neither, although I don't have the quantity you mention. I have, however, purchased about 5 different flavors/calibers from acme and been happy each and every time. 

You get green color if you go 30k :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used thousands of ACME coated in 40 , 45 and hundreds in 124gr 9mm and been pleased with the quality and overall accuracy.   

ACME also always includes a decent number of extras.     

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my 100 round sample.  9mm 124.  However they were all in the 121-122 range with a few (2) in the 118.  They shoot pretty consistent on the chrono.  But I cherry pick the bullets to get a consistent weight to test load and determine seating depth and charge.  Of the three brands I have tried these are about as smoky as Blues and less smoky than SNS.  

As for the OP, mine shown zero signs of blemish.  Of the three brand, I would say it has the best coating.  

• 11 months later...

Reviving an old thread. I am thinking about ordering some of these seeing as they are cheaper than the blue bullets. Anyone have any update on if the quality has improved on them or not? Seem around this time last year there were some concerns...

Edited by ngodwetrust21

As the original poster, what made me laugh was they turned around and sent me 100 more of the same shoddy batch with missing coating in an attempt to make it right. 🙄

Thanks, Acme. Customer service left a little to be desired. 

I’ve had much better response from companies like Bayou and Black Bullets. They’re top notch.

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

As the original poster, what made me laugh was they turned around and sent me 100 more of the same shoddy batch with missing coating in an attempt to make it right. 🙄

Thanks, Acme. Customer service left a little to be desired. 

I’ve had much better response from companies like Bayou and Black Bullets. They’re top notch.

Memphis, can I ask, how was the 100 round sample pack shipped.  Was it in one of those small bubble-wrap-lined envelopes? Or a sturdy box? 

I always suspect rubbed-through coating like that happens during shipping.

Just now, IDescribe said:

Memphis, can I ask, how was the 100 round sample pack shipped.  Was it in one of those small bubble-wrap-lined envelopes? Or a sturdy box? 

I always suspect rubbed-through coating like that happens during shipping.

They both came in one of their neat little laser-cut wooden boxes. I’ve never had black, blue, or bayou coating chipped off in shipping. Or via any other means.

None of the large flakes of missing hitek were in the bottom of the wooden box, either.

That is weird. The only time I have ever gotten bad ones was Blue Bullets, but only one shipment.  

Just saw someone recently post pics of BBI where the coating was not scratched but so thin in spots you could see through it.  But BBI was always perfect for me. 

I recently tried ACME coming from Blues myself.  I got a case of the 145 9mm's and just got a case of 180 40's.  Both of the different bullets were well coated and I have had no issues with them.  I cast and coat my own bullets and I am pretty picky about them so if the ACME showed issues I would have a problem with them but they have been good.  

Two different shipments of the 115 coated bullets for me and they have both been well covered and smooth on the whole bullet. Every now and then I will notice one bullet with a small dimple in the base of the bullet itself, but the coating is still covering it. 

On 11/19/2018 at 7:11 PM, ngodwetrust21 said:

Reviving an old thread. I am thinking about ordering some of these seeing as they are cheaper than the blue bullets. Anyone have any update on if the quality has improved on them or not? Seem around this time last year there were some concerns...

I'm with IDescribe here. An anomoly

I have loaded and shot thousands of Acme bullets. Never had an issue with any of them. I switched to Acme from Bayou because Acme is local to me. Never had issues with Bayou either. FWIW I've never had any issues with bullets from any manufacturer. 

I've shot every bodies bullets  and a fair amount of all of them.

Personally I've found Bayou the most consistent with the best CS "IF" needed

Then Blue and BBI a very close and even 2nd.

Several orders of lipstick bullets with soft /uncured coating

FWIW

Edited by jcc7x7

7 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Then Blue and BBI a very close and even 2nd.

This is curious.  I have pistols that do very well with Blues and pistols that do very well with BBI, but they're not the same pistols.  Given that Blue are a little undersized and BBI are a little oversized, I would expect difference performance in different pistols.

45 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

This is curious.  I have pistols that do very well with Blues and pistols that do very well with BBI, but they're not the same pistols.  Given that Blue are a little undersized and BBI are a little oversized, I would expect difference performance in different pistols.

I only own one 9mm that is finicky, it wants .357 or .358 dia lead /coated lead bullets

It groups 21/2-3" at 25yds with 355 or 356 and well under 2" with 357/8 that is off a rest with several groups shot.

That same pistol will shoot .355 jacketed fine.  I don't have a clue why the one 9mm out of many is finicky.

All the rest will shoot Bayou, Blue or BBI in 355 or 356 just fine

When you figure it out let me know!  on 2nd thought I really don't care cause I've found bullets that shoot out of it.

Edited by jcc7x7

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

I only own one 9mm that is finicky, it wants .357 or .358 dia lead /coated lead bullets

Yeah, bullet to barrel fir is king.  If the bullet is small enough, it will "jump lands" and accuracy will suck out loud, if not outright result in bullet tumbling.

My CZ ShadowLine is best with .357, still good with .356, and not great with .3555 or .355 -- in coated lead.

In jacketed, it's better with .356 than .355, but not by much.  The difference isn't nearly as pronounced as with coated lead.