Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100rd sample pack. Acme. Quality concerns.

MemphisMechanic

I ordered a case of 115 earlier in the week even after seeing this. The price is right. If a few slip in with some flaking coating, I'm ok with that.

Until a couple 124s or 147s slip in that you miss cause they go right in the MBF...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/30/2017 at 10:26 AM, Shmella said:

I ordered a case of 115 earlier in the week even after seeing this. The price is right. If a few slip in with some flaking coating, I'm ok with that.

Conclusion:

They sent me another 100 round box for free with much better coating, along with 50-100 targets with their name on each sheet next to the 8" bullseye. 

Very happy with their their customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

I have loaded and shot at least 4000 and have about 2000 left of a lighter color red Acme 125 g and 147 g bullets.  Mine are more of a satin to flat finish and the ones pictured above are more glossy and a deeper red. I have had zero issues with coating flaking or misshaped bullets with the Acme I have.

I have older copper color SNS bullets that the coating flakes easily. The newer brick red SNS with a glossy coating does not flake at all or scratch easily.

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 9:40 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Is this typical of this company? I didn't bother including perhaps 8 to 10 other 124gr bullets with fairly tiny bare lead spots. A shot of the worst handful out of the 100rd sample pack which showed up today:

IMG_3693.JPG.5e87868bd2c6634946dadbb4102aeb3c.JPG

The far right slug actually has a noticeable deformed spot on it's base that won't let it sit flat, without rocking.

Hey Memphis!

I have been out of the picture for a few months due to relocating (we finally found a few acres to build on!) however I wanted to check back in on this issue regarding Acme and what you (and others) decided to do? I've just about completed my new reloading bench & room and ready to compete again. Not finding IDPA here, perhaps USPSA?

Cheers! 

IGG

I'm shooting Black Bullets 125TCs, and I'm quite happy with them.

They also let me load to 1.125" for a short-chambered gun, whereas the Acme 125RN couldn't be longer than 1.085"

And all the bullets are actually coated all the way around.

(Also, shoot USPSA once. You'll find IDPA much less interesting.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

57 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

They also let me load to 1.125" for a short-chambered gun, whereas the Acme 125RN couldn't be longer than 1.085"

Thanks Memphis, I'll check them out. I will give it a go as others have voiced the same regarding USPSA.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Thanks Memphis, I'll check them out. I will give it a go as others have voiced the same regarding USPSA.

Cheers!

I shot IDPA for five years religiously. Dabbled in USPSA...

I just plain don't want to shoot IDPA anymore. I like shooting any stage any way I feel like.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I shot IDPA for five years religiously. Dabbled in USPSA...

I just plain don't want to shoot IDPA anymore. I like shooting any stage any way I feel like.

Also IDPA made some changes earlier in the year many thought were not necessary... It was fun and I shot it pretty well however there were many stages I would have shot differently had I the choice...

On 9/7/2017 at 0:04 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Interesting. I've found that RN profile doesn't work in my CZ, but I can load FPs way longer (147gr FPs to 1.10"). Is there a discount code with Black Bullets? 

1 hour ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Interesting. I've found that RN profile doesn't work in my CZ, but I can load FPs way longer (147gr FPs to 1.10"). Is there a discount code with Black Bullets? 

Exactly. Flat point and tapered cone profiles can be loaded longer than round nose, generally speaking. Particularly in coated bullets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 12:20 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Exactly. Flat point and tapered cone profiles can be loaded longer than round nose, generally speaking. Particularly in coated bullets.

Interesting, perhaps I should switch to FP however I have been loading Acme 145 gr RN @ 1.160+ for quite a while. Perhaps the profile is different?

i got some 115gr a few months ago.  i noticed that the finish seemed thin .on many the finish could be removed by fingernail pressure.  i loaded a few up and put into my tumbler to remove the lube after.  have done this with 10's of thousands of coated bullets.  going through tumbler caused quite a bit of speckling on the bullets.  

i sent them a email and they sent me some replacements. i hoped they would be better than the last one , but that was not the case. Same thing with the new batch.  what i think they might be doing is  only coating it one layer or two and i beleive 3 is ideal or they are baking them wrong .

i have shot BBI,SNS and a few other and never had flaking etc.  will i buy from Acme again?  i doubt it . too many other options out there .

34 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i got some 115gr a few months ago.  i noticed that the finish seemed thin .on many the finish could be removed by fingernail pressure.  i loaded a few up and put into my tumbler to remove the lube after.  have done this with 10's of thousands of coated bullets.  going through tumbler caused quite a bit of speckling on the bullets.  

i sent them a email and they sent me some replacements. i hoped they would be better than the last one , but that was not the case. Same thing with the new batch.  what i think they might be doing is  only coating it one layer or two and i beleive 3 is ideal or they are baking them wrong .

i have shot BBI,SNS and a few other and never had flaking etc.  will i buy from Acme again?  i doubt it . too many other options out there .

Sure is disappointing, they seem to shoot good and the price is right...

How much flaking or how large of an area would be a concern from a leading perspective though?

2 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Sure is disappointing, they seem to shoot good and the price is right...

How much flaking or how large of an area would be a concern from a leading perspective though?

i would think that any flaking in the driving band area can cause leading.  i bought them to try because of the reviews and 10% off .  in the future its BBI or SNS 

19 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

I had the exact same experience with 115's. Changed to BBI and wish I had done it earlier.

I've probably loaded 40K of Acme 115gr and taken apart perhaps 3K (don't ask!).  The coating, itself, appears very durable; I've been able to reuse (for practice only) virtually all the bullets I've pulled.  What I have noticed recently is the appearance of 122gr bullets in the 115gr bags.  I catch virtually all of these during manual loading on my 1050 and since I'm loading very soft, below book, the pressure increase of a 122gr bullet with the 115gr load wouldn't present a problem, but this issue is concerning.

I'm going to give SNS a try as I'd like to have a bullet in the 129-125gr range that will chamber in more of our 9mm handguns.  Both the Acme 122gr TCG and the Bayou 120gr TCG/FP won't work in my P2000, whereas the old Bayou 124gr TCG was just fine.  I ordered sample packs of 125grRN and 125grFP from SNS.  I'm also going to work on getting Bayou 115gr to feed in my MrBF.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:47 AM, RickT said:

I've probably loaded 40K of Acme 115gr and taken apart perhaps 3K (don't ask!).  The coating, itself, appears very durable; I've been able to reuse (for practice only) virtually all the bullets I've pulled.  What I have noticed recently is the appearance of 122gr bullets in the 115gr bags.  I catch virtually all of these during manual loading on my 1050 and since I'm loading very soft, below book, the pressure increase of a 122gr bullet with the 115gr load wouldn't present a problem, but this issue is concerning.

I'm going to give SNS a try as I'd like to have a bullet in the 129-125gr range that will chamber in more of our 9mm handguns.  Both the Acme 122gr TCG and the Bayou 120gr TCG/FP won't work in my P2000, whereas the old Bayou 124gr TCG was just fine.  I ordered sample packs of 125grRN and 125grFP from SNS.  I'm also going to work on getting Bayou 115gr to feed in my MrBF.

You might want to give the Blue Bullets 135 profile a try. I can load them way longer in my Shadow than I can the 147 RN profile. They also seem very accurate for me in my gun and it feels like it cycles faster vs the 147s I tried. The coating is super think too and doesn't flake off or come off with a bullet puller in my experience so far. I use the 135s in my Shadow and also the 230 in my Sig .45.

1 hour ago, mikeinctown said:

You might want to give the Blue Bullets 135 profile a try. I can load them way longer in my Shadow than I can the 147 RN profile. They also seem very accurate for me in my gun and it feels like it cycles faster vs the 147s I tried. The coating is super think too and doesn't flake off or come off with a bullet puller in my experience so far. I use the 135s in my Shadow and also the 230 in my Sig .45.

My wife and I shoot SC so no minimum PF which favors lighter bullets, but I'll give Blue Bullets a look.

• 1 month later...

I just received a batch of 500 122gr FP 9mm coated bullets for Acme. And like I always do when I get a new projectile, I measure and weigh a few to see how consistent they are and to have a reference when figuring out the COL for my reloads. These bullets are advertized at 122 grains. They are very consistent in diameter and relatively consistent in length. However among the 10 randomly selected samples I found one that weighs 128.5 grains and another the weighs 127.8 grains. The rest were between 121.0 and 124.9.

Is this normal for these bullets? I've used Acme .44 240 gr SWC and had great luck with them. Coating on the 122 bullet was great.

2 hours ago, Ck867 said:

I want to chime in that I ordered 30k recently of the 147 gr FP and they are working great. I am not having any issues regarding the coating that others have mentioned. 

Me neither, although I don't have the quantity you mention. I have, however, purchased about 5 different flavors/calibers from acme and been happy each and every time.