Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100rd sample pack. Acme. Quality concerns.

MemphisMechanic

Is this typical of this company? I didn't bother including perhaps 8 to 10 other 124gr bullets with fairly tiny bare lead spots. A shot of the worst handful out of the 100rd sample pack which showed up today:

IMG_3693.JPG.5e87868bd2c6634946dadbb4102aeb3c.JPG

The far right slug actually has a noticeable deformed spot on it's base that won't let it sit flat, without rocking.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About a quarter of the 6000 I ordered were like this. I just loaded them up and shot them. I wish they'd do a more thorough job quality controlling. At least they give you a little more to cushion the deformed bullets.

I think with all that said, maybe that's why they're offered for such a good price?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hmmm.  Tagged.

I'm about to be coming due for another case pretty shortly.  Last case I bought didn't have a single bullet that looked like that, at least not that I noticed.  No complaints at all with my past purchases.

I'm pretty sure there's an old post talking about the 124 molds wearing out and the old supplier went out of business. Definitely haven't seen anything like that with the 147s I run. We'll see since it's almost time for another 10k. :P

I had some of that in my last batch. Plus incomplete castings, flat noses (on round nose bulets) and what I think are a few 9mm bullets in my 40s. I switched to different bullets. 

Aywrhug.jpg

Bought some 147's a while back.  Instead of an extra bump of lead at the base, many had voids and were under weight.  I just shot them up in practice and went back to my go to brand.

Didn't have any issues with the 180's, though.

Edited by al503

I've bought tens of thousands of the 115gr and very rarely I see one with a well-formed flat on the nose.  The coatings have always been very uniform and having taken apart a great number of rounds (don't ask) virtually every bullet is reusable.

9 hours ago, Shadowrider said:

I'm about to be coming due for another case pretty shortly.  Last case I bought didn't have a single bullet that looked like that, at least not that I noticed.  No complaints at all with my past purchases.

That's my experience as well with using thousands, but I am also due to place another order...

I phoned them a while back with a question, left a message, and never got a return phone call. I wasn't too impressed with that though.

I've ordered from them a couple times.  Here's my experience...

My first order was 115gr 9mm's and 200gr 40's.  The 40's had maybe 15% look like the ones in your picture and also found a few 180's, easily noticeable because of the different profile, that I weeded out while loading.  The 9's had maybe 5% that looked like your picture and none of the wrong weight mixed in.  Weights and measurements on them were as uniform as any other brand I've used.

My second order was 180gr 40's.  Unlike the first order, the coating was very uniform and I haven't found any different weights mixed in.  Again, weights and measurements seemed very uniform.  My third order should come in Friday.

Honestly, I didn't think I'd get any more when I opened my first order and saw what shape some of them were in (like the OP's picture, haven't seen anything like darkvibe posted).  So why did I?  Well, I found them more impressive in use than appearance.  The price was good, and despite how bad a lot of them looked, they were pretty accurate and left my barrels very clean.  Can't ask for much more than that. 

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Is this typical of this company? I didn't bother including perhaps 8 to 10 other 124gr bullets with fairly tiny bare lead spots. A shot of the worst handful out of the 100rd sample pack which showed up today:

The far right slug actually has a noticeable deformed spot on it's base that won't let it sit flat, without rocking.

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Memphis, unfortunately it seems to be an ongoing issue with them. I was quite excited at first due to their price however this is exactly what I have been experiencing with them too... I will say Acme is very responsive and will replace them however the same issue exists with the replacements... 

I'd be interested in what you do as I will be looking for a cost effective replacement for Acme too...

Cheers!

IGG

Call them.  They are a small company and have good CS.  The coating flaking off is a concern.

I have not seen anything like that in the last 8000 bullets Ive purchased from them, and honestly if I found a couple that werent perfect, I wouldnt sweat it too much as they always give you an extra 10 bullets per hundred everytime I buy some.  Last 2 boxes of 100 I bought locally (45's and 9mm) both had extra bullets. 

I have a couple thousand of the 122 Fn and several have not been perfect, but shot ok.  The one think I'd like ACME to do is increase the coat thickness. The coating seems to scratch off easily.

I even shot the 122 FN in my open gun for a test.  The accuracy with Autocomp was quite acceptable, but smoke and shit in comp was not.  The price is great though.  :-)

Customer Service replied very quickly to my email:

Thank you for contacting us and the feedback.  Those bullets should not have been sent out.  Our inspectors are human and may occasionally let a bad bullet through, but the number of bad bullets you received in your order not our standard.  

We will send you a new box of bullets.  Even if you do not purchase from us again, you should at least get the bullets you paid for.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Vicki
ACME Bullet Company

I'm wondering if I should do the same now and save up all the bullets I come across that hav this issue. It's just so difficult to sort through thousands of bullets when you're just dumping into a MBF. Once they're seated and it looks fine from a glimpse I just let them through.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, muncie21 said:

You guys actually count the bullets that are sent? :ph34r:

They come in bags of 500, so I pull out 500 primers.  Always have 15-20 extras.  

I always tray up (with plastic 50 rd trays that federal ammo uses) any bullets I use to check for any issues. Not only can you check for problems you can also see when you might have a bullet of a different weight because they are taller or shorter than all the others. I do the same with brass to make sure they are good and there isn't anything inside them or an odd case got mixed in. I also load by trays of primers so I know if something went wrong when I end up with an odd bullet case or primer out.   

On 05/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, muncie21 said:

You guys actually count the bullets that are sent? :ph34r:

I do. I put finished rounds in 100 up boxes to inspect. Gotta check depth of primers, tipped primers and a edge view will show tall or short rounds. Hey, i use a lee Toadmaster and it needs watching after. 

I also lable every batch and enter batch details in the book. Primer, powder, bullet, oal, date.  why? I'm an engineer!  duh, the data...must collect data...

I received my first order from ACME last week (124 RN) and have loaded several hundred so far. 

Bullets seem pretty consistent for coated with zero found that I wouldn't load & shoot.

Not saying the finish is Montana Gold level, but they aren't in that price range either. 

ACME seems like a really good value and they look NOTHING like my 9major loads (MG-JHP).