Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range targets - flashers only?

Is the flasher the only target people are using anymore for long range rifle?  Are there any other designs/ideas that make it easy for an RO to call hits, yet are cheap and simple enough to use plentifully and make it through a match without repair?

Is anyone using 1/4" AR500 and counting on the "ring" to call hits?  Does it hold up to .308?

MGM makes some pneumatic ones that are self contained as well.

For the first NRA TPC match I made some hit indicators that attached to the bottom of the steel stand with a single bolt and conduit that ran out to the side away from the target on the end of it there were LED tail lights and a shock sensor for a car alarm. When the plate was hit, the vibration was transferred through the conduit, triggering the sensor and lighting up the light.  Worked perfect but because the light is 10 ft from the target (so nothing is impacted from misses or bullet fragments) it's not really good for arrays of targets.  Not to mention you need 12 volt batteries, I use the ones out of my deer feeders.

I also have built a number of auto reset reactive steel target for my own use.

For 308 you'll want 3/8" AR500 or thicker.

Edited by jmorris

Steel use flowchart jBKzmkW.png

1/4" AR has to be pushed back to about 500 yards to hold up to 308, elsewise it will dent. I build steel targets for fun and profit, and here's my write up on shooting 1/4" AR400 http://moatargets.com/blog/14-ar400-as-a-long-range-rifle-target/ . AR500 would act about the same, the hardness (400 vs 500) only really helps with preventing pitting from velocity, not denting from total energy, based on my testing to date. 

For long range flashers, consider something like the Target Impact Signal Systems (TISS) units that have a sensor on the back of the target and a camera flash stationed nearby to signal hits. 

It's kinda expensive, but the Mozambique and Mini MO units that I build are designed to be used as long range targets that are easily checked for hit/nohit from the line. https://www.moatargets.com/moa-targets-mini-mo-ar500-steel-reactive-target

I'm headed out on a three week shooting road trip. If you've got any questions, please drop me a line at mitch@moatargets.com

Edited by nvgeologist
broken image link

• 2 months later...

MGM makes some 1/4" flash targets for use past 400 yards where 223 may not have enough energy to move a large peice of 3/8" AR500. They need to remain out there and be flipped as they will start to bow over time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 11:46 PM, ziebart said:

MGM makes some 1/4" flash targets for use past 400 yards where 223 may not have enough energy to move a large peice of 3/8" AR500. They need to remain out there and be flipped as they will start to bow over time.

Only problem with this is, I and a lot of my friends are stubborn .308 shooters.  Will the 1/4" hold up?

If you turn it, and keep it out at 400+ yards it should be fine. The reason to use 1/4" at distance is 223, and hanging it on a flasher. If you are just shooting 308, or planning on going only off sound then you don't need 1/4" and csn get th more durable 3/8". That said sound is unreliable at that range. Need a spotting scope and a reactive target like the tee post to make it work. Look at how PRS match do it.