Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baxter Is Gone

Patrick Sweeney

Baxter was our standard poodle. Black, with one miniscule flaw that would have made him an also-ran as a show dog (like we cared about looks) and a bundle of long-legged muscle at 65 pounds.

He was the most athletic dog I'd ever seen outside of a frisbee ring, with amazing proprioception. And he could jump. He learned he could see farther down the block if he jumped, and amazed pedestrians would give him praise. He eventually got so he could jump eye level to me. That's eyes six feet off the sidewalk. From a standing start. We'd walk to downtown and back in the mornings, and I once kept count: 131 jumps in just under a 3-mile walk. You want coordination? How about this: chasing a ball down the stairs, he could stop on the stairs, catch the bouncing ball, turn on the stairs and come back up. Even if he had to jump to catch it. Or, if he got his leash under a leg, he'd just pop into the air (a short jump) and swing that leg around the leash to clear himself.

He had the sweetest disposition, he never bit anyone, never threatened (although he'd never back down off a challange, no matter the size or nature of the other dog) and was always smiling. He was always thinking, too. Some dogs just stand there. You could see that Baxter was thinking. (Or scheming, sometimes.) He had natural presence. If he wanted to know what was going on in a room, he'd walk in, stop, and look around. And look right at you. None of this skulking in, peering around, hoping no one would see him stuff. He was a sucker for kids. Some adults he wouldn't let pet him, but let a bunch of kids come boiling out of a house shouting "Baxter, Baxter" and he'd sit on the sidewalk and soak up the affection and petting. And when they were done, he'd leap off down the sidewalk to their laughter.

We came back from our recent trip to find our athletic dog sick. He'd lost ten pounds, and had no appetite. We spent three weeks making vet visits. He spent a total of five days and two nights on I.V. They performed every test known, and all any vet could tell us (we eventually consulted with four) was "His kidneys aren't working very well." So we brought him home. We fed him whatever he wanted, which wasn't much the last day. He faded away until there wasn't anything left mentally except the flash of Baxter at "Let's Go" for a walk. We took him to the vet Monday morning, and despite his weakened body at 52 pounds, his heart wouldn't quit from the first overdose of sedative. The vet had to ready another dose, but his heart finally stopped just before she used it.

He was 4. I can truthfully say he was the finest person I've ever had the pleasure to know.

I'm not writing to elicit sympathy, just to let you know why I might be a bit scarce for a while, and postings might be subdued.

I can truthfully say he was the finest person I've ever had the pleasure to know.

that part says it all! Patrick...I'm really sorry to hear about this...many don't/can't understand the bond that you can have with 'animals'. You always keep them in your heart.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I have 2 yorkshire terriers and I'm not sure what I'd do if I lost one of them.

Grieve your loss Patrick, but when you feel able there are plenty of other dogs out there that need a good home!

Patrick, my sincerest sympathies on the loss of your friend. Take heart in that he knew that he was loved, and had about the best 4 years a dog can have on this planet. Winston, Annabelle, and Pfoebe (my dachshunds) send their love and condolences.

Patrick, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've long been labeled a "dog person". Most I've known were of far finer character and spirit than most people I've met.

Good dogs are God's greatest gift, and because you'll almost always out live them, also his cruelest trick. :(

...Mark

Please accept my sincerest condolences. Standard poodles are EXCEPTIONAL dogs all 'round. Smart as whips. Our range owner's son has one that does the leaping and spinning around in mid-air kind of thing. I now take it that it's a Standard Poodle kind of thing. Damn' friendly dog. He has a great time of it on league night when he has about 30 people to meet 'n greet and scope out.

You might want to go about the business of acquiring another one... now that you know how superb they are.

Best wishes,

SL

Patrick, I understand your feeling of helplessness for the loss of a loved one. I had a solid black miniature that my ex gave my daughter because he was only supposed be to a teacup. When my daughter got married he became mine because he would rather come to me than go to her.

Suddenly at age 17 he had trouble breathing and before I could get him to the vet he died.

Good dogs are God's greatest gift, and because you'll almost always out live them, also his cruelest trick.

Dean Koontz, the horror writer - who obviously adores dogs - in one of his novels wrote, "To love a dog is to know that one day you'll cry."

My condolences, Patrick. I have much sympathy for you as I went through something similar. Jack Dawg, my australian shepherd, also ran into kidney failure. It happened while I was gone to the nationals, two weeks before my wedding. I can see him in my bridal picture as I type! After 14 hours in the car back from Quincy, I found him with similar symptoms as Baxter. I had to drive him at 2am to an all night emergency vet. I was fortunate in that the IV flush rid him of most of his toxins. Ultimately he gained back nearly 80% of his kidney function and with a modified diet, he lived another six years. My daughter was 6 months old when he passed and had I not had her to love on, it would have been much harder.

Pat,

I'm so sorry for your loss, I've been in your shoes and it never ceases to amaze me that such a simple creature can so easily become one of our closest and trusted companions.

Good Luck, Craig

Been thinking about this post all day. First time that I read it I didn't write anything just thought about it.

When we were growing up my father ran GSPs - German Shorthair Pointers. They weren't kennel dogs but part of the family and lived in the house. My brother had one for 14 years and I helped dig the grave for that dog. Tough business is the thought that first comes to mind. Mine is now 13 and his muzzle has about much gray in it as I have in my beard. We are both getting older. He's had it pretty easy in that he sleeps on a regular baby mattress. Never found a dog bed that held up very well. They all flattened out after a month or so, but a quality baby mattress is good for his old bones.

He still looks trim and is eager to please. He's just not quite as fast as he was when he was two. When that day comes for him, it's going to be tough. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Rick

I've been in your shoes....

Single hardest thing I've ever gone through....

I'm truly sorry.

Helped me to think some little kid in heaven needed a playmate. :wub:

Pat

My exact statement. I cried like a baby when my Jake died. I asked God if he would take his soul in place of mine. :(

Ron