Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

On 11/27/2017 at 6:52 AM, Gooldylocks said:

With the holes, it may not cycle minor unless you put a lighter spring in it. The gun should be very very soft and most likely very flat as well.

However, since you are already reloading, it wouldn't be difficult to order a jug of slow powder (HS6, Silh, AA7, etc) and a case of light bullets and just load major. Load in batches for either gun, then just reset the dies when you want to switch.

I would recommend getting a second set of magazines, but I would imagine that your existing 9mm magazines will work in the meantime.  Just know that different guns may like slightly different dimensions on the feed lips.  I have several 9mm magazines that I've been using for 3-gun, and I am working on getting more to keep with my Chaos that is being built, but as you know they are expensive!   Trying to get to the point where I have a set of 6 for 3-gun, maybe 3 practice magazines, and a separate set of 6 for my Chaos.  It'll probably take me awhile to get there though. 

Regarding the loads, I plan on using factory ammo for practice in my Chaos.  The ammo that I get is very hot minor loads. I have a friend that uses the same ammo in his matches.  So yes you could use other 9mm loads, you just may need to swap the recoil spring.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do as you wish, but I think having two sets of magazines is unnecessary. It is certainly nice, and it is always good to have backups (I have a full set of backup mags), but if you are trying to limit the cash you have to lay out at the beginning I would just get one 170 mag and call it good. That should do you fine until you are able to get more. 

2 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Do as you wish, but I think having two sets of magazines is unnecessary. It is certainly nice, and it is always good to have backups (I have a full set of backup mags), but if you are trying to limit the cash you have to lay out at the beginning I would just get one 170 mag and call it good. That should do you fine until you are able to get more. 

agree!!!!

On 11/27/2017 at 6:46 AM, TANFARM said:

Perhaps a silly question.......could you start out shooting. 9mm Chaos with Titan loads.???.......that would be minor 147 BB...1.165”.

Trying really hard to convince myself to order a Chaos........but it’s big bucks and I got a lot tied up in my Titan.....gear, reloads, mags ..etc.

Will any of my current stuff be usable in open?

Thanks.......hope this makes sense!!

My Chaos runs just fine with white box 9mm ammo.  Same springs same mags.  I have the two barrel holes.

Adam just built a 9 minor open gun for one of the guys in our club. It's fun to shoot.  He did not drill the holes in the barrel they can be added later if you want them.

Trying not to beat the poor horse to death:

As to the Atlas Chaos in 9mm.....I’m currently loading for my Titan.....I’ve got a very large stock of Blue Bullets 147rn and Vih N320....Would certainly like to work up a load to use in the Chaos to use these supplies up.....currently using 3.3 grns N320 for minor in the Titan.....any thoughts on maximum load using these 2 components in the open gun?...maybe up to 3.5 grns?

Not trying to make Major , just functioning rounds to learn the new pistol......Thanks in advance!!!

Trying not to beat the poor horse to death:
As to the Atlas Chaos in 9mm.....I’m currently loading for my Titan.....I’ve got a very large stock of Blue Bullets 147rn and Vih N320....Would certainly like to work up a load to use in the Chaos to use these supplies up.....currently using 3.3 grns N320 for minor in the Titan.....any thoughts on maximum load using these 2 components in the open gun?...maybe up to 3.5 grns?
Not trying to make Major , just functioning rounds to learn the new pistol......Thanks in advance!!!

Not sure about a “maximum” load for function. But I use n320 and 135gr for my minor loads at the moment (130pf) and am interested to try it out in the chaos when I get it.

If it feeds it will most likely work. You might have to change the recoil spring. Talked to a few of their sponsored shooters about minor loads asking a similar question. Josh Froelich runs federal syntec with no changes and Andrew Hong uses his light production loads in his open gun and he says it runs as well.

Granted, the comp will be ineffective with the 147gr and N320. Won’t be enough gas. I am going to try coated for steel matches and such but I will load JHP for major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As the owner of serial number 000001 Atlas Open, I can say that Adam is the best, have had no major issues. Communication with Adam is first rate. Had minor issue on Monday before a Saturday match. Shipped back and Adam had the gun back to me by Thursday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Idoktr said:

As the owner of serial number 000001 Atlas Open, I can say that Adam is the best, have had no major issues. Communication with Adam is first rate. Had minor issue on Monday before a Saturday match. Shipped back and Adam had the gun back to me by Thursday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear, I know I talked to him for over a half hour before pulling the trigger on ordering a Chaos. I was surprised when answered the phone and tooked the time to talk after the shop was closed. 

13 hours ago, Steelix said:

Great to hear, I know I talked to him for over a half hour before pulling the trigger on ordering a Chaos. I was surprised when answered the phone and tooked the time to talk after the shop was closed. 

I've had a similar experience in the several times I've talked to him.  He always seems genuinely interested in talking about guns, the sport, and life!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 7:20 PM, bluedevil008 said:

I've had a similar experience in the several times I've talked to him.  He always seems genuinely interested in talking about guns, the sport, and life!

Exactly my experience. Adam genuinely interested in helping out and making sure all the questions are answered.... and I am not waiting on my second gun from Atlas =)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a load for the Chaos in 38sc and using HS6 or AA7. I'm a couple weeks out and want to have some loaded up when it gets hear. I can't wait for the new gun. Also does it fire any primers, I use Winchester WSR but was also thinking of trying CCI SPP. 

I have a 9mm chaos that shoots 170ish with around 8.4-8.5g hs6
CCI spp work great, no issues...
I’ve had a couple of old Winchester spp thrown in and they were iffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were the Winchester SPP iffy cause they were old or cause they were Winchester?

Were the Winchester SPP iffy cause they were old or cause they were Winchester?

They couldn’t have been very old... Maybe 6months?
I previously had been buying both brands interchangeably for my other guns (which ever is on sale).

34 minutes ago, bigbob21 said:

They couldn’t have been very old... Maybe 6months?
I previously had been buying both brands interchangeably for my other guns (which ever is on sale).

Gotcha, just checking.  That's all I have on hand at the moment.  We'll see how they do!

1 hour ago, Steelix said:

Anyone have a load for the Chaos in 38sc and using HS6 or AA7. I'm a couple weeks out and want to have some loaded up when it gets hear. I can't wait for the new gun. Also does it fire any primers, I use Winchester WSR but was also thinking of trying CCI SPP. 

I had my load for my Chaos 38sc when I first got it. I was using the load from my DVC Open. 124 gn JHP from Precision Delta with 8.6 gun of HS-6 at 1.24 oal. Made 173pf in the DVC but the Chaos was 160pf. I have not built a load with hs-6 yet for this gun. I am currently using 9.9 grn of 3n38 at 1.235 oal. it gives me 173PF

28 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

I had my load for my Chaos 38sc when I first got it. I was using the load from my DVC Open. 124 gn JHP from Precision Delta with 8.6 gun of HS-6 at 1.24 oal. Made 173pf in the DVC but the Chaos was 160pf. I have not built a load with hs-6 yet for this gun. I am currently using 9.9 grn of 3n38 at 1.235 oal. it gives me 173PF

That's  my load for my CK 8.6 of HS6 with PD 124 JHP 170pf. And I just opened a new 8lb of HS6. So maybe I'll push it up to 9.0 of HS6 and see what it shoots. I think that maybe still low tho. 

Edited by Steelix