Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

9 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

I figured sense it’s the start of the off season for me, now would be a good time to try a few different powders and experiment a bit. I was using HS6 in my old gun so that’s all I really have experience with in my Chaos. I ordered a pound of each of the following:

Accurate #7
WAC
Silhouette
Shooters World Major
Already have HS6 (Currently using 8.2gr)

In the next month or so I’ll find a good load for each and then compare all 5 and see which feel I like better. If I’m really feeling ambitious I might even try each with 115gr bullets for the hell of it. Initial testing will be with 124’s.

I’ll be sure to keep track of everything and post any valuable results here for guys that might want to try something different.

Can't wait to hear the results. A local shooter did some very similar tests with the above powders except SWM. He ended up sticking with 3n38 with A#7 in the 2nd spot.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured sense it’s the start of the off season for me, now would be a good time to try a few different powders and experiment a bit. I was using HS6 in my old gun so that’s all I really have experience with in my Chaos. I ordered a pound of each of the following:

Accurate #7
WAC
Silhouette
Shooters World Major
Already have HS6 (Currently using 8.2gr)

In the next month or so I’ll find a good load for each and then compare all 5 and see which feel I like better. If I’m really feeling ambitious I might even try each with 115gr bullets for the hell of it. Initial testing will be with 124’s.

I’ll be sure to keep track of everything and post any valuable results here for guys that might want to try something different.

Also looking forward to it.

My atlas is due in December and I have only been using HS6 also.

You running 9mm or 38? Mine will be 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to hear the results. A local shooter did some very similar tests with the above powders except SWM. He ended up sticking with 3n38 with A#7 in the 2nd spot.

Crap 3n38 was another I wanted to try. I’ll try to get my hands on some. With that said I really don’t want to like it. That stuff ain’t cheap

Also looking forward to it.

My atlas is due in December and I have only been using HS6 also.

You running 9mm or 38? Mine will be 9

Mine is 9mm as well

Just to add in for the 9mm shooters... I tried 3n38 on my old open gun (not atlas) and even compressed loads couldn’t get major. Given that was a 115gr but enough that I wasn’t going to waste my time further with it.

Others may have different results.

2 minutes ago, limited shtr said:

How well does the atlas chaos balance with the steel grip ? Is it neutral , hand heavy or nose heavy ? Thanks for any details 

The gun balances very well. It is a heavier gun than any other open gun I have shot. But it feels great! 

I tried 3n38 but hated how I had to fill the case. Picked up 32lbs of WAC, to get a good handle on how the gun feels(it's my first open gun). When I need more powder i might play with it again.

Edit to add: With WAC I experimented with loads from 162-178 PF. Around 173-175 PF its really seemed to work the comp the best. Settled at 7.3gr WAC @ 175 PF.

Edited by JatCarver

I shot drills with mine at 164, 170, 172 & the max I could get with 115's & AA7, 173 PF (1507 avg fps). Gun was surprisingly flat even at 164PF, but seemed at its best overall between 170-172PF to me. Gun shoots really, really nice!

I would expect your 38SC gun to shoot very good with 3N38 & 115's between 170-172 PF as well.

You need to test to see what feels best to you.

Alright, I just finished testing those 5 powders I mentioned before. It was difficult to do it all in one sitting due to Thanksgiving and all that so I was just running out back and testing one after work or when I had a little time. I plan to shoot them all together at some point and I’d also like to get some slow-mo of the gun shooting each but that’ll be another time. Also the notes are stuff that I found important. Obviously they may be different with a different shooter. Don’t take them as the gospel. Hopefully this can help some of you that may want to try a different recipe.

Accurate #7
Caliber: 9mm
COAL: 1.165
Bullet Weight: 124gr Everglades JHP
Primer: Winchester SPP
Charge: 9.6gr
PF: 172
Muzzle Rise: Dot stays in screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. Little bit of a bounce.
Punch: Moderate
Accuracy: Good
Double Tap: Returns high. Dot had a streak to it .
Other: Meters terrific. Case is close to top but doesn’t spill on press. Loud.

Shooters World Major (Lovex) D037-01
Charge: 9.7gr
PF: 169
Muzzle Rise: Very little rise.
Dot Tracking: Straight up. Returned to zero very well.
Punch: Soft in hand.
Double Tap: Quick and clean.
Other: Apparently it’s temp sensitive. Meters well. Spills easy. Relatively loud.

Silhouette
Charge: 7.7gr
PF: 171
Muzzle Rise: Decent rise to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. No dip.
Punch: Moderate punch.
Accuracy: Good.
Double Tap: Clean and quick.
Other: Meters great. Spills easy on the press. Not to loud.

HS6
Charge: 8.1gr
Muzzle Rise: Dot rises to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Slight wobble? Returns a little low.
Punch: Moderate/Heavy
Double Tap: Fast doubles seemed rough compared to others. I would say not great but not terrible either.
Other: Doesn’t seem as loud as other powders. Doesn’t meter the best.

Winchester Auto Comp
Charge: 7.0gr
Muzzle Rise: Pretty good. Not quite to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. Slight dip.
Punch: Relatively soft.
Double Tap: A lot of “bounce” on doubles. I had a tendency to shoot high on the second shot.
Other: Not to loud comparatively. Gassy.

I still have some messing around to do but as of right now Lovex will be what I’m shooting. It felt great to shoot and easy to go fast with.

14 minutes ago, tyman1876 said:

Alright, I just finished testing those 5 powders I mentioned before. It was difficult to do it all in one sitting due to Thanksgiving and all that so I was just running out back and testing one after work or when I had a little time. I plan to shoot them all together at some point and I’d also like to get some slow-mo of the gun shooting each but that’ll be another time. Also the notes are stuff that I found important. Obviously they may be different with a different shooter. Don’t take them as the gospel. Hopefully this can help some of you that may want to try a different recipe.

Accurate #7
Charge: 9.6gr
PF: 172
Muzzle Rise: Dot stays in screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. Little bit of a bounce.
Punch: Moderate
Double Tap: Returns high. Dot had a streak to it .
Other: Meters terrific. Case is close to top but doesn’t spill on press. Loud.

Shooters World Major (Lovex) D037-01
Charge: 9.7gr
Muzzle Rise: Very little rise.
Dot Tracking: Straight up. Returned to zero very well.
Punch: Soft in hand.
Double Tap: Quick and clean.
Other: Apparently it’s temp sensitive. Meters well. Spills easy. Relatively loud.

Silhouette
Charge: 7.7gr
Muzzle Rise: Decent rise to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. No dip.
Punch: Moderate punch.
Double Tap: Clean and quick.
Other: Meters great. Spills easy on the press. Not to loud.

HS6
Charge: 8.1gr
Muzzle Rise: Dot rises to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Slight wobble? Returns a little low.
Punch: Moderate/Heavy
Double Tap: Fast doubles seemed rough compared to others. I would say not great but not terrible either.
Other: Doesn’t seem as loud as other powders. Doesn’t meter the best.

Winchester Auto Comp
Charge: 7.0gr
Muzzle Rise: Pretty good. Not quite to top of screen.
Dot Tracking: Straight up and down. Slight dip.
Punch: Relatively soft.
Double Tap: A lot of “bounce” on doubles. I had a tendency to shoot high on the second shot.
Other: Not to loud comparatively. Gassy.

I still have some messing around to do but as of right now Lovex will be what I’m shooting. It felt great to shoot and easy to go fast with.

This is some really great information. I just tested some Accurate #7 yesterday and found my chaos need more like 9.9-10 gr. from what some of the guys I know that use AA7 a little bit higher PF works better for that powder. I have been using 8.1 of HS6 and honestly I couldn't tell much of a diffrence between the two. But I need to do some more testing. Im interested in your findings of the Shooters World Major powder. Might have to pick up a pound of that and try it out, if I can find it that is. 

This is some really great information. I just tested some Accurate #7 yesterday and found my chaos need more like 9.9-10 gr. from what some of the guys I know that use AA7 a little bit higher PF works better for that powder. I have been using 8.1 of HS6 and honestly I couldn't tell much of a diffrence between the two. But I need to do some more testing. Im interested in your findings of the Shooters World Major powder. Might have to pick up a pound of that and try it out, if I can find it that is. 

Thanks. It was a fun project. I got that Shooters World Major from Grafs. I’ll probably start looking for an 8lb bottle soon.

So I've been having some issues with my shok buffs getting eaten up within 300 rounds. Just as a heads up to anyone using Slip2k EWL, this stuff deforms shok buffs. I've left a buff soaking in it for a little bit and it starts to cave into itself which is made worse with continued recoil.

I'll be switching to Mobil 1 5w30. My friend suggested I add some auto transmission fluid as a cleaner. Have any of you guys tried this mixture before?

11 minutes ago, touji said:

So I've been having some issues with my shok buffs getting eaten up within 300 rounds. Just as a heads up to anyone using Slip2k EWL, this stuff deforms shok buffs. I've left a buff soaking in it for a little bit and it starts to cave into itself which is made worse with continued recoil.

I'll be switching to Mobil 1 5w30. My friend suggested I add some auto transmission fluid as a cleaner. Have any of you guys tried this mixture before?

You should probably just stick to Lucas Extreme Duty Gun oil. Don't try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to a 5k+ open gun.

1 minute ago, lacivilian said:

You should probably just stick to Lucas Extreme Duty Gun oil. Don't try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to a 5k+ open gun.

I've definitely thought about using Lucas. A lot of my shooting friends in the area are using some form of Mobil 1 in their Atlas guns, but maybe I should just keep it simple... 

Motor oil and transmission fluid mixed is put out in some armorer courses. So I doubt it would hurt anything. I just use motor oil

1 minute ago, kujo929 said:

Motor oil and transmission fluid mixed is put out in some armorer courses. So I doubt it would hurt anything. I just use motor oil

Good to hear but I wouldn't advise it after someone is looking to get the right lubricant. Stick with what everyone uses.

I had some issues with lucas oil, worked ok but just not that smooth and switched to breakfree clp now it's really smooth. Another good oil found was from Infinity called Blue oil I use in my Infinity works very well. I think sometimes it just depends  on how tight the slide is.