Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

50 minutes ago, touji said:

I was definitely planning on cleaning every mag after each stage, but I forgot my mag brush in Virginia and I was too shy to ask some of the other shooters if I could use their mag brush. Broke down after the stoppage and finally asked :P Definitely going to be one of the first things I check to make sure it's in my range bag! 

Good move. I once saw a man beaten to death by his squad with two DVCs and a 9mm Titan for daring to ask to borrow a mag brush. This sport is rough! ... So take no chances.

(This would be my sarcastic way of pointing out how preposterous this is. Ask the squad and you’ll have more brushes than ya know what to do with!)

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Good move. I once saw a man beaten to death by his squad with two DVCs and a 9mm Titan for daring to ask to borrow a mag brush. This sport is rough! ... So take no chances.

(This would be my sarcastic way of pointing out how preposterous this is. Ask the squad and you’ll have more brushes than ya know what to do with!)

Only one guy had a brush on our squad and there was a string of brush thefts across the bays. It was like the wild west out there! It was definitely silly to not ask to borrow a brush intermittently but I was honestly surprised my mags lasted as long as they did in those sandy bays.

Edited by touji

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

LOL

7 hours ago, touji said:

I was definitely planning on cleaning every mag after each stage,

Call me lazy, but I never do it, and I have never experienced any stoppage due to dirt.  I disassemble and clean the mags maybe once in a couple of months, and I drop them all the time.   What I usually find inside is just carbon deposit... never much of it either.

Edited by Foxbat

12 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Call me lazy, but I never do it, and I have never experienced any stoppage due to dirt.  I disassemble and clean the mags maybe once in a couple of months, and I drop them all the time.   What I usually find inside is just carbon deposit... never much of it either.

This is HIGHLY dependent on what type of dirt/sand/grit you’re dropping your mags into.

I haven't cleaned my mags in the past 3 months since I've started shooting open as I usually just shoot in gravel bays or hard packed dirt. Area 5, as you'll see in this video (not me by the way), the bay's were almost sand like. When you drop a mag, it gets sucked right into the mags.

@touji myocal bays used to be soil and mowed grass. I never cared.

Now we have gravel in most of our bays, and that also means the fine dust from the stones getting ground against each other. It gets into the mags when they’re dropped. You can hear the crunnnnnch sound if you push the follower down with a finger.

One decent size grain of sand riding halfway into the chamber on a piece of brass, or the follower sticking, and even a Glock won’t keep running.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yeah, I'm really glad I picked up a mag brush as I should have done so way earlier in my shooting. Most my local matches though, like you, generally don't affect my mags too much.

16 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This is HIGHLY dependent on what type of dirt/sand/grit you’re dropping your mags into.

All kinds of surfaces, the only exception being a mag dropped head-first into liquid mud would get cleaning.  Other that that I don't sweat it. 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, touji said:

I was definitely planning on cleaning every mag after each stage, but I forgot my mag brush in Virginia and I was too shy to ask some of the other shooters if I could use their mag brush. Broke down after the stoppage and finally asked :P Definitely going to be one of the first things I check to make sure it's in my range bag! 

Damn it must be mean out on the streets!

22 minutes ago, Ginalina said:

Sometimes I make presentations using templates, but at the moment nothing comes to my mind and I'm looking for an idea for a presentation. I would like to use original graphics tools, I could find only templates in the form of a fish bone https://poweredtemplate.com/fishbone-diagrams-25528/. Tell you it would be interesting to watch a presentation where these templates will be used? I think they are quite original.

Spam?! 

Go away ISIS!

On 3/3/2018 at 7:29 AM, falconpilot said:

Finally here!! Worked it on a plate a little bit this evening with loads for my soon to be sold other open gun...dot never left the scope! I'm very excited and impressed!

IMG_3530.JPG

Is that the Short or X-Short vario trigger?

• 1 month later...

Been running my Chaos quite a bit. Shot 3k rds over 3 weeks. Had some malfunctions with the brass hitting the dot mount and bouncing back in the ejection port, was happening about 4 times per 1k rounds. This was with a 7lb spring and 175PF loads. Adam recommended I use a 8LB spring(should have just left it in since thats what it came with) and back down to 170PF. 

So I went to the range with the 7lb still in and had the same issue within first 100rds. I then swapped for a 8lb spring and ran 1200 rds of 175PF with zero issues.

Going to try some 170 PF just to see how it tracks compared to the 175, however I'm really liking the 175PF with 8lb spring.

How much WAC are you guys loading to get 170PF? I'm loading 7.2gr with 124 FMJ to get me 175PF. 

Edited by JatCarver

Using JHP 124s (Montana Gold), I’m using 7.2gr and i fluctuate between 170pf and 172pf. I chronod at 170 at one major, 172 at another, and 170 again at the most recent major. Using once fired mixed brass in 9mm major

• 3 weeks later...

1 week old today!

Flawless function and very accurate. 5 shot group at 50 yards sighting in was under 1". Very impressed with fit and craftsmanship.

Gun feels great and tracks great. The grip is very aggressive - guessing I will be able to cut back on Pro Grip with this gun.

Haven't seen many loads posted for 115's so here is mine:

MG 115 JHP @ 1.165 OAL with 10.7 AA#7 is right at 170PF.

I experimented with 165-173PF loads and this gun runs flat & fast at 170.

Interesting chrono results with my AA#7 & 115's in this gun.

With 10.4 (1426fps) - 10.8 (1500fps) loads, velocity increased around 18 fps per step up. After 10.8 grains powder, I stopped getting any significant increase in velocity. 10.9 & 11.0  WAS louder though.

IMG_1242.jpg

The grip is very aggressive - guessing I will be able to cut back on Pro Grip with this gun.

That’s funny because I use to use pro grip religiously when I was using a plastic grip gun. I haven’t touched it since I got my Atlas. Those PT grips are great in that aspect.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, SWprotected said:

I had an Atlas gun for a few months, and I will say I really liked it. I liked the looks, the balance, and how flat it shot. The one thing I did not like was I was having trouble stopping the gun exactly where I wanted to. I tried several drills with it and my older open gun and found that I was consistently better with my older gun which was 10oz lighter. I ended up selling the Atlas gun to a friend and built another light gun. I don't think there is a right answer to which is better its just finding what works best for you.

what's the weight of your old gun without mag? Thanks a lot.