Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/23/2018 at 10:04 AM, kitestir said:

Put my order in Tuesday for my Chaos!  I am lucky because Atlas is local to me!  Have been shooting with Adam for years!  He always goes out of his way to help guys at the range!  Can’t wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys!

Congratulations, please post some pictures when you get it.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Blurryvisions said:

Mine is in the shop now being made, I cannot wait to get it. I recently got to shoot one of my teammates chaos guns and it was a dream. Not to mention unparalleled machining, fit and finish. 

Any pictures? Congrats!

Edited by Wisemenofgotham

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Open Custom delivered today and was shooting some loads I had made for my CK Open gun. Running a bit too slow in the Atlas to make PF so I'm definitely looking for some input from you guys.

Current Load:

1.145" OAL (longest I could get for the CK)

7.1gr WAC

124gr Montana Gold JHP

Avg: ~1320fps

I'm thinking about loading as long as I can get in the Atlas and bumping up to 7.3 or 7.4gr of WAC. I don't have reliable places to chrono unfortunately, so I'm hoping to get some input from you guys here. Trying to get photos off my camera, so I'll be back shortly with some pictures of the new gun :)

On 7/28/2018 at 7:26 AM, Wisemenofgotham said:

Wow I really like that finish, most people order the Chaos in black.  More pictures/review please ?

I think he said it was a open custom. I believe the Chaos only comes in black DLC. 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:11 PM, touji said:

Just got my Open Custom delivered today and was shooting some loads I had made for my CK Open gun. Running a bit too slow in the Atlas to make PF so I'm definitely looking for some input from you guys.

Current Load:

7.1gr WAC

124gr Montana Gold JHP

I'm thinking about loading as long as I can get in the Atlas and bumping up to 7.3 or 7.4gr of WAC. I don't have reliable places to chrono unfortunately, so I'm hoping to get some input from you guys here. Trying to get photos off my camera, so I'll be back shortly with some pictures of the new gun :)

I PD 124 JHP at 1.165 over 7.4gr of WAC, makes 174-ish.  I bumped it down to 7.2gr for the time being to lessen the beating on the gun, but as I get close to my next major I'll reevaluate.  I want to make sure I'm making 170-171 before flying to a major to leave some wiggle room. 

Unrelated,  sent my Chaos back for a tune-up and also because the slide randomly started slowing down as it finished it's last 2-3mm going into battery.  It feels like the fit is much tighter, so that it's noticeably more difficult to pull out of battery and go back into battery.  It's still functioning but I want a smooth buttery gun.  Adam said it's possible some shrapnel or something got caught in a rail and caused a burr, slowing the gun down.  They just got it, so I will report back on well the warranty service and tune-up goes.  

Yes, bizarre scenario, I'm at about 6K rounds through it, so it shouldn't be getting tighter! haha

On 7/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, touji said:

Current Load:

7.1gr WAC

124gr Montana Gold JHP

8.1 gr HS6 loaded at 1.165

WSPP

mixed brass

RMR fmj RN

= 171pf

18 hours ago, Steelix said:

I think he said it was a open custom. I believe the Chaos only comes in black DLC

Yup, it is a custom build but I took many of the design aesthetics of the Chaos. It is coated in DLC Silver that's been polished. It almost looks nickle or chrome. 

I ran some chrono rounds of 7.3gr-7.4gr (mostly at 7.3 but I record my load data with the deviation) and I was popping average 1420FPS which is about 176PF. When I was shooting the rounds loaded for my CK it was at about 1320 so it looks like I'm getting about 50 additional FPS per .1gr of WAC. I know it's crazy, but I'm shooting Area 5 this coming weekend with a gun I haven't fully done load development for and only shot 1 match with spicy ammo. I'll be dropping .1gr this week and I'll let you guys know if I make PF at the chrono :)

Overall, the Atlas is much tighter and a much faster shooting gun. The reset is phenomenal and the weight distribution is great. I'm still getting used to reloading into a PT grip since it's a little less forgiving on reloads (doesn't flex), and I need to do more dry fire with the slide racker. The Ape Hanger is great since it doesn't get in the way of my draw and presentation, but I need to rebuild muscle memory to use it since it sits very high. I'll continue dry firing and provide more thoughts as time goes by.

Thank you! From my understanding, the thumb shields are mounted on the grip. I had a friend who had said that the frame / grip mounted thumb shields were a bit more reliable than the safety mounted shields (not sure the validity) but it definitely adds a little bit of finesse to the look being frame mounted. 

The Atlas barrels are 5" barrels, and I believe that slide is then cut a few thousandths of an inch. I need to double check some videos where Adam is going through the build of the Chaos. 

Also found out the finish is not DLC Silver, but PVD Silver. 

They sent me the shipping label, I dropped it off last Wednesday morning, and got it back today and took it to the range to re-zero and get some practice in.  BTW, I'm on the other side of the country. That's insane service!

The frame had widened for some unknown reason, probably talking 1-2 thousandths, just enough to slow down the frame.  It was still functioning, but was noticeably slower, so I wanted to get it looked at in case it got worse or started causing issues.  It's good as you know, I even was able to do a 1" 5-shot group at 25 yards resting my forearms and magwell on a table (not really an actual rest or bags).

Area 5 is in the books, and I chrono'd at 170.7pf. Running 7.2gr of WAC (10 count total at 72.7gr) and 1.165" OAL with 124gr Montana Golds. They pulled at 123.8-124.2grs.

Only put through about 150 rounds through the gun prior to Area 5 and it ran like a champ, even in the super sandy/dusty bays. I made it through 13 stages without cleaning any of my MBX mags and got one stoppage at the end of stage 13, but after a quick mag brush it was running no problems again. This was by far the most fun I've had breaking in a gun before :)

10 hours ago, touji said:

Area 5 is in the books, and I chrono'd at 170.7pf. Running 7.2gr of WAC (10 count total at 72.7gr) and 1.165" OAL with 124gr Montana Golds. They pulled at 123.8-124.2grs.

Only put through about 150 rounds through the gun prior to Area 5 and it ran like a champ, even in the super sandy/dusty bays. I made it through 13 stages without cleaning any of my MBX mags and got one stoppage at the end of stage 13, but after a quick mag brush it was running no problems again. This was by far the most fun I've had breaking in a gun before :)

Glad it's working well for ya!

Piece of advice that you can take or leave.  Clean every mag that touches the ground at major matches!  It's an easy 20 seconds that most likely would have saved you from a stoppage.

7 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

Glad it's working well for ya!

Piece of advice that you can take or leave.  Clean every mag that touches the ground at major matches!  It's an easy 20 seconds that most likely would have saved you from a stoppage.

+1

I was definitely planning on cleaning every mag after each stage, but I forgot my mag brush in Virginia and I was too shy to ask some of the other shooters if I could use their mag brush. Broke down after the stoppage and finally asked :P Definitely going to be one of the first things I check to make sure it's in my range bag!