Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

Where do you guys like your brightness on DPP ?

I am very new to Dot so for last two matches It seem I run it on full bright on sunny day and one down from full bright on overcast.

All the way for me

I don't want to have to look for it.

If it were real cloudy I might drop down a notch or two.

Edited by Gman57

On 3/20/2018 at 12:07 PM, SeattleDude said:

Where do you guys like your brightness on DPP ?

I am very new to Dot so for last two matches It seem I run it on full bright on sunny day and one down from full bright on overcast.

I run mine full brightness on a sunny Washington day and 1 or 2 down when its overcast. 

absolutely in love with my new alpha x combo. the phoenix trinity insert is perfect even with the gogun *thumb rest [generic]*. highly recommend this holster. the draw is so effortless and smooth! definitely wont be missing my guga ribas holster anytime soon lol!

IMG_20180323_121203_655

3 hours ago, touji said:

Put a downpayment today. Super stoked! What did you guys end up doing to make the wait less painful?

stalk youtube and this thread to drool over everyone else's lol

I think I'll be jumping into open next year.

Anyone have an opinion on heavy guns for open?  Seems since the comp does a lot to reduce muzzle rise, steel grips aren't as beneficial as they are in iron sight divisions. 

Am I wrong?

Anyone have an opinion on heavy guns for open?  Seems since the comp does a lot to reduce muzzle rise, steel grips aren't as beneficial as they are in iron sight divisions. 

Am I wrong?

I think it has a lot to do with weight distribution in the proper places. Adam talks about it a bit in this video

7 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Am I wrong?

Its all about balance and how gun balances in your hand. Call and talk to Adam about it. The gun does not feel that heavy at all and sits great in your hand. 

Edited by Steelix

On 3/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, Steelix said:

Its all about balance and how gun balances in your hand. Call and talk to Adam about it. The gun does not feel that heavy at all and sits great in your hand. 

I disagree, it feels very heavy when you pick it up. Once the timer goes off, I don't notice it though. 

Hit the gym and it's not an issue!

Edited by bluedevil008

In latest shooter’s mindset interview: Adam stated he didn’t feel the need to jump into the industry until the steel grips came out. It’s that much of a difference.

He actually goes into it a bit in the episode.

There’s also other threads on Enos debating steel vs plastic. A bunch of pros as of late have swapped to steel after shooting plastic for 1-2 decades. That should also give you some indication as to the effectiveness of a steel grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

I disagree, it feels very heavy when you pick it up. Once the timer goes off, I don't notice it though. 

Hit the gym and it's not an issue!

I got to play with an Atlas in the safe area after a match, and I could definitely feel the weight in transitions. Makes my CZ feel like a polymer gun!! Can’t wait ? 

51 minutes ago, touji said:

I got to play with an Atlas in the safe area after a match, and I could definitely feel the weight in transitions. Makes my CZ feel like a polymer gun!! Can’t wait ? 

I opted for the Atlas steel magwell, but if you ever wanted to take off a few ounces, you could switch to an aluminum magwell, and I imagine it would do little to change the feel of the recoil.

On 3/30/2018 at 2:31 PM, tyman1876 said:

I think it has a lot to do with weight distribution in the proper places. Adam talks about it a bit in this video

I watched the video and I am still not sure what the new technology is.  New comp design? Porting? Mid-length with a steel grip? Let me know as I am interested--hoping for a nice tax refund this year and maybe a new toy

I watched the video and I am still not sure what the new technology is.  New comp design? Porting? Mid-length with a steel grip? Let me know as I am interested--hoping for a nice tax refund this year and maybe a new toy

I wish I could give more insight but to be honest I don’t know much either. I was just referencing the video. I will say though, give Adam a call. He’s very helpful and very willing to answer any of your questions on the phone

I am not sure it's "new technology," but they have found a great balance of everything, weight, weight distribution, length, etc.  Instead of starting with a short gun, they start with a long gun and cut it back .4 inches.  Add that to an extremely well built gun with the best fit and finish and you have an Atlas.

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

I don't think it's viewed as "new technology" as it is a new style of open guns. From what I've been reading prior to ordering, the major changes from the older style open guns to the newer style open guns:

1. More efficient comp designs to remove weight from the muzzle

2. Shorter barrels (5" vs 5.4")

3. Added weight to center of gravity to the pivot point (removed from the muzzle)

4. Stroked 

5. Steel Grips

Most of the new styling, I feel, was made to allow the gun to point faster because it's less nose heavy. I've never really shot any open guns (new style or old style) so I'm really just blowing smoke.

• 2 weeks later...

After about 10 matches... My DPP is back at Leupold due to glass issues and my upper assembly is back with Adam for an ape hanger fit and to fix my barrel and compensator from rotating. Good thing I'm out of town during this, the itch to shoot the Chaos is hard to overcome. 

I had an Atlas gun for a few months, and I will say I really liked it. I liked the looks, the balance, and how flat it shot. The one thing I did not like was I was having trouble stopping the gun exactly where I wanted to. I tried several drills with it and my older open gun and found that I was consistently better with my older gun which was 10oz lighter. I ended up selling the Atlas gun to a friend and built another light gun. I don't think there is a right answer to which is better its just finding what works best for you.

49 minutes ago, SWprotected said:

I had an Atlas gun for a few months, and I will say I really liked it. I liked the looks, the balance, and how flat it shot. The one thing I did not like was I was having trouble stopping the gun exactly where I wanted to. I tried several drills with it and my older open gun and found that I was consistently better with my older gun which was 10oz lighter. I ended up selling the Atlas gun to a friend and built another light gun. I don't think there is a right answer to which is better its just finding what works best for you.

Are you referring to transitions? Because if so that is only because you were used to swinging a 10oz lighter gun to the next target. You would have some crappy transitions as that is not something you are used to. If you are referring to follow up shots let me know. Thanks