Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drones or no drones?

af220wa

I was recently at A1 where there was a professional photographer with a drone taking great aerial shots.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  I can also see that it could get out of hand with amature pilots wanting to fly overhead when their buddies are shooting.  What do you think?  Can there be a place for drones at shooting competitions?  What does IDPA, IPSC/USPSA think?

Edited by af220wa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, af220wa said:

I was recently at A1 where there was a professional photographer with a drone taking great aerial shots.  Pretty cool if you ask me.  I can also see that it could get out of hand with amature pilots wanting to fly overhead when their buddies are shooting.  What do you think?  Can there be a place for drones at shooting competitions?  What does IDPA, IPSC/USPSA think?

Uspsa banned them from nationals I THINK. There is a fairly long discussion here already. Should be able to search for drone in the search window. I personally think they are like PCC. Just not a great fit in USPSA. :)

I like the way A1 handled it.

Those guys were "professional" drone pilots and knew what they were doing.

I don't think I'd want just anyone flying one of those things around while I was trying to RO or shoot.

6 hours ago, orangeman711 said:

They should get the competitors permission before filming them.

No they shouldn't.  Shooters step foot onto someone else's property, voluntarily requesting to join an event someone else is hosting; that someone else has every right to record the event.

Said competitors should stay home and file a lawsuit with the American Criminal Liberties Union about how their feelings got hurt, to continue making the world a more pathetic place.

Mine says Indiana.

I think you should be allowed to shoot them on sight. Should be safe if folks get into the habit of packing a good duck gun and pay heed to what is in the direction they are shooting. Taxidermy would be no mess and I think a few mounts would really glitz up a reloading room. 

Pretty sure the getting permission part wouldn't be for privacy. You have no expectation of privacy at a match, as you said it is on someone else's property. I would think you should ask because it could be extremely distracting for some people. It would royally piss me off if a drone flew by while I was in the middle of a stage and caught my eye. If you want to fly it above and behind me, fine. Sounds don't bother me, but the visual stuff does. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, Sarge said:

Uspsa banned them from nationals I THINK. There is a fairly long discussion here already. Should be able to search for drone in the search window. I personally think they are like PCC. Just not a great fit in USPSA. :)

Drones may be banned at Nationals but Lesgar's GF used a drone at Optics Nationals.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:08 AM, orangeman711 said:

They should get the competitors permission before filming them.

No expectation of Privacy in Public.

And just like that one showed up at the Buckeye Blast! But it was more of a promotional thing, not any one shooter's drone.

It made a sweep of the entire facility and was done.

I'm all for drones with some stipulations. It does not bother the shooter, only so many allowed in the sky with qualified pilots(operators?). It will only help to grow the sport and get it out there more on youtube and TV in my opinion.

Southern Mississippi opinion here. If a drone got by us at a match unscathed it would be scored as 2 no penalty mikes on a disappearing target. Even a couple of rotor hits would be 2 C's. 8 bonus points!!!!!!!!!  

I can see it being a bit of a distraction, but would still make for some very interesting video. I do feel they should stay behind and out of the shooters eye however just for a consistent stage between shooters. 

I think that Drone footage at major matches is going to be a huge step in the right direction for getting visibility for the sport. People might complain at first about how it's distracting, but I honestly don't believe that it would be so long as you stayed above or behind the shooter. Between ear protection and all the noise from shooting, I don't think you would actually be able to hear it at all during a stage. And to go along with that, I don't think you would actually have to get people's permission to video them unless you were selling the footage for money, but I am not sure of that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I think that Drone footage at major matches is going to be a huge step in the right direction for getting visibility for the sport. People might complain at first about how it's distracting, but I honestly don't believe that it would be so long as you stayed above or behind the shooter. Between ear protection and all the noise from shooting, I don't think you would actually be able to hear it at all during a stage. And to go along with that, I don't think you would actually have to get people's permission to video them unless you were selling the footage for money, but I am not sure of that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Might want to think about the anti-gun/shut down the range crowd as well. Local news footage of a couple a.d.'s during reloads would go a long way possibly, also if anything ever happened I wonder if anything filmed could support lawsuits against individuals or the clubs. 

The "secret" to getting decent drone footage of any shooting sport is to also have a GoPro camera on the ground near the shooter so that you can sync the shooting audio to the video otherwise all you'll have is a nice silent video of a guy running the stage, which is a bit boring.

Syncing the audio from a GoPro to a drone video is relatively easy and once it's done, the difference in the video is literally like black and white.

When I have done drone footage of shooters I ALWAYS ask them if it would be OK to have the drone in front of them at times.  Most say it's OK but there are a few who want nothing to do with it.  Not a problem, I just wait until the next shooter.

It is kind of a pain for the drone operator as there are several "regulations" that need to be "worked around" to be able to legally fly around with a sufficient amount of freedom to maneuver over and around the shooters and other participants.   Just a few technicalities, but it might come into play if something "odd" happens.

AD (former 747 Captain but currently a licensed drone pilot with too much time on his hands.)

i-d8qXqm6-XL.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Might want to think about the anti-gun/shut down the range crowd as well. Local news footage of a couple a.d.'s during reloads would go a long way possibly, also if anything ever happened I wonder if anything filmed could support lawsuits against individuals or the clubs. 

Frankly, I don't think an anti-gunner would be able to differentiate between gunfire on target engagement vs AD on reload from drone footage. Its all BANGBANGBANGBANG to them.  Heck, its occasionally difficult for a trained shooter on the ground/RO to call out some of the higher level shooters on AD's because they're operating at the edge of control and the hits come so fast.

Edited by JeremiahD

4 hours ago, JeremiahD said:

Frankly, I don't think an anti-gunner would be able to differentiate between gunfire on target engagement vs AD on reload from drone footage. Its all BANGBANGBANGBANG to them.  Heck, its occasionally difficult for a trained shooter on the ground/RO to call out some of the higher level shooters on AD's because they're operating at the edge of control and the hits come so fast.

Worrying about drone footage may not be a legitimate concern,  just something to ponder and then perhaps disregard, the a.d.'s I've seen (reloading, shooting wall while running between arrays, catching gun on wall) have been very obvious to the casual observer though. 

Didn't see it but have been at the match where a couple happened at show clear, and I have a friend who shot the table on a table start, again, pretty obvious that something went wrong. 

• 1 year later...

As long as they don't kick up a whole bunch of dust I could care less. Had a guy bring one to a local one time, the thing was like a helicopter blowing dirt all over the place. He put it up rather quickly as he saw it was causing a disturbance. If it were an all grass range I can see it not being an issue at all. 

I wouldn't worry about video from a drone being any worse than some of the POV and third person video already being posted to the interwebs, think Tex Grebner.

I think as consumer and professional grade cameras get better, drones will be less of an issue because they won't have to be flown so low to get good quality video.