Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken JP firing pin.

Hello: Well I was testing my new mag springs today and had two slam type fires. I stopped after the second one. I came home to have a look at what was going on. I removed the JP bolt assemble to remove the firing pin. What I have is a two piece firing pin now. Looks like it broke right at the shoulder area. I am guessing the spring got in between the two pieces causing the slam fire. So those with JP bolts I would check your firing pins often. I have contacted JP to see if they have an upgraded firing pin via e-mail. This is the first JP product that has ever failed on me. Good thing I had a spare bolt so I can shoot this weekends match. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0923.JPG

I broke my first at ~12,000 rounds. To be fair, that was including a 250 round match near 7k rounds with several shooters going back to back shooting suppressed. That pin might have seen some serious fouling :D. JP did send a new design pin to replace the old one so depending on when yours was manufactured you might get a new design. My most recent new style pins are at roughly 6k and 8k-ish? Hard to stay exactly when they get loaned out to new shooters at matches. Oddly my broken pin was still hitting 95% of primers off but I was used to 100% boring reliable so I tore it apart and found the pin broken in the same place as yours. 

I just consider the pin a PM item and change it out at ~10,000 rounds now. The only other piece I regularly look to replace at cleaning time is the plastic bumper in the SCS. Those seem to last between 15,000 and 20,000 depending on your load but I'm swapping them ~10,000 if I haven't already as cheap insurance. Replacing small pieces like pins and polymer buffers I can deal with easier than having an issue at a match, however rare an issue that might be. The was the only failure I have had on my 2nd GMR-13 was what appeared to be an attempted large pistol primer identifying as a small pistol primer in a box of factory ammo... :blink:

Hello: That firing pin only has about 2000-3000 rounds through it. The last time it was out was before Area 6 about 600 rounds ago. I also think the plastic bumper on the SCS is a wear item as well and will get a spare or 3. I am not sure if mine is an old or new JP firing pin. I will wait to see what they say. Thanks, Eric

A friend in Fort Worth sent me pictures of his JP firing pin.  His PCC was purchased in July 2015 and pretty much set in a safe until he took up PCC last fall.

The replacement sent from JP does not look anything like the original firing pin. Hopefully he will have better luck with the new style.

Bill

JP PCC Firing Pins.JPG

A friend in Fort Worth sent me pictures of his JP firing pin.  His PCC was purchased in July 2015 and pretty much set in a safe until he took up PCC last fall.

The replacement sent from JP does not look anything like the original firing pin. Hopefully he will have better luck with the new style.

Bill

5914d176bf0ea_JPPCCFiringPins.thumb.JPG.cf63841afad267b5885c0f2f96448959.JPG

Is it me, or does the new firing pin look A LOT longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

Is it me, or does the new firing pin look A LOT longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are the same. Optical illusion.

• 2 years later...

My JP PCC was running great.  I opened it up today for deeper cleaning prior to a match, and found my firing pin was in 2 pieces.  It looks like the newer one in the above photos. Broke at the same place. (where biggest part transitions to smaller part.) Tried to upload photo but couldn't get a file size small enough to get past the KB police.

I don't think I have 10,000 rounds through it, but definitely over 5,000.  

Reached out to JP today to see what we can do.

I found mine broke last week. Had an unrelated trigger malfunction in a match so came home and tore everything down and discovered the broken pin. Mine is the newer style and has around 12-15 k on it. My pin was also broken in the same spot as above. I bought an extra to keep in my range bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve gone through 3-4 of them and despite broken I ran the entire match no problem. You only discover they are broken after you get home and clean. 

JP says to change at 5k but I run them until they break and haven’t kept track. Before a bigger match I put a fresh one in just to be safe.

this is a wear item and just part of what needs to be done for maintenance 

It may BE a wear item but it SHOULDN'T be a wear item, IMO anyway. How hard would it have been to not have that stepped down area in the pin? For what the gun costs (and it is pretty much worth it) this should not be a problem. I love mine, but this could be easily fixed i would think.

• 2 months later...

The problem is the sharp edges at the points where the diameter changes. Mine was broken in 3 pieces. JP replced it with one that has nice radii t those points. Just inspected my second JP 9mm bolt. same proble4m. Will contact theem for a second replacement.