Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on RPR

Johrichal

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, Johrichal said:

Hey guys my wife is wanting to get into long range precision shooting. Ive been researching different rifles and it seems to get a quality rifle your looking at $3k+ before optics. Thats more than im willing to spend for a hobby that im not sure she is going to stick with. So I think Ive decided just to get her a RPR in 6.5 creedmore and if she sticks with it we can always upgrade in the future. 

So my question is, is the RPR a good rifle for a beginner? Ive read a lot of reviews on them and most of them are good but I have read a few bsd ones.

Also what style reticle would you guys recomend for someone just getting into PRS. I think im going to go with the Vortex viper pst. I know there is better glass out there but again looking at price point I think it will be plenty good for her right now.

I had a RPR in 308 Hated the gun it will get lose in stock.Had a hard time getting scope mounted right list goes on ..But everyone says GEN2 are better guns if you do buy go 6.5 Creedmoore

I have owned many Ruger firearms. Due to the lack of an accuracy guarantee I will not take the chance at the price of an RPR. Too many cases of RPR's not shooting to expectations by good shooters. 

I had a RPR in .308.  On top of the above mentioned issues the muzzle threads were tapered to the rear--would not keep the can tight.

I now have a Mossberg MVP which was less money.  Can stays tight, accurate and most of all uses PMAGs.  Savage uses proprietary mags which they are very proud of.

The Creedmore calibers are the hot items these days and rightfully so.

I stayed with .308 simply because I am old, have beau coup 308 and don't want to get started re-loading another cartridge.

I must have an exceptional RPR 6.5 Creedmore. Factory Hornady 140 ELD match has produced 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and 1 7/8 inch groups at 400 yards. I did replace the trigger with a Timney which is awesome.

I could not be happier. 

On 3/7/2018 at 10:25 AM, Gary Stevens said:

I must have an exceptional RPR 6.5 Creedmore. Factory Hornady 140 ELD match has produced 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and 1 7/8 inch groups at 400 yards. I did replace the trigger with a Timney which is awesome.

I could not be happier. 

That is great to hear, my RPR is on its way.  Have you made any upgrades and if so, what.  Do you reload and if so, with what bullet and powder?

Two bags from the bench. Don't really like prone shooting. Uncomfortable and then I have to try to get up which is not a pretty sight?

I should add i am using a Sig Tango 6 5-30x56 scope. Awesome scope?

Edited by Gary Stevens

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just received my RPR in 6.5 CM, and installed a Timney in it. I ordered 1000 Starline brass for it, since I've had great results with Starline in my Savage 12 and Ruger SR-556. IMO, just as good as any brass, at a great price. I'll be loading a few next week, and after installing a Vortex Viper, heading out to Pima Pistol to break it in.