Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LabRadar tips, tricks, issues, etc.

I just got my replacement LabRadar after the first one arrived damaged, not from shipping but from lack of quality control at the factory.  I've not had must time on it but first impressions is that it has a big learning curve.  'Read the manual' and watch videos before you try it out.  This is not intuitive and it takes many rounds of trial and error to get it right.

-I've found that a USB battery pack is sufficient to power it in case you don't have 2A batteries.

-You need to have the gun barrel about 4 inches away from either side and it must be mid device, not higher than center or lower, almost exactly in the middle.

-Adding new strings require you to turn off the device and back on.  Not sure if this is by design or a defective unit.

I've heard that they are coming out with firmware updates for connection to a mobile app.   Does anyone have the inside track on whether it will have Bluetooth connectivity or USB.  Release date?

Is anyone using this for IDPA or USPSA matches?  I'd like to hear more about how it compares to other Chronos.

Turn off the device to add a string? Mine doesnt. Disarm the (orange to blue light) radar and push the string button then confirm.

I do wish you could go back ad shoot more on a certain string after adding a subsequent string.

Supposedly bluetooth connectivity coming soon. They already have bluetooth hardware, its just not turned on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, DWFAN said:

Turn off the device to add a string? Mine doesnt. Disarm the (orange to blue light) radar and push the string button then confirm.

Mine either. DWFAN is correct. 

I've not had the trigger sensitivity issue either. Just set the preferences for your range circumstances: high sensitivity for times when you alone are shooting, lower when other gun shots might be inadvertently recorded. 

Two tips:

1. It takes around 2 seconds for the unit to process a single shot...somewhat slower than my natural shooting rhythm. You must wait for the shot to "clear" the unit before shooting again.  

2. Good target alignment is essential. I taped a fiber optic rod into the top sighting recess and find that this works quite well. 

UPS or whatever gorilla type delivery service must have been pretty rough it.:lol:

You do not need to turn if off to get back to the menu. In the manual, section 4.3.4 it tells you to hold down on the Armed button for 2 seconds and it will take you back to the review menu.  You do not need to be exactly in the center of the unit for it to work. Make sure you are on trigger level 1, muzzle EVEN with the unit, not in front of it.  Watch all the YouTube videos they made to help explain what is in the manual.  They really break it down so you can see how to do it.  They are a remarkable tool. I never miss a shot anymore.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:31 PM, af220wa said:

-You need to have the gun barrel about 4 inches away from either side and it must be mid device, not higher than center or lower, almost exactly in the middle.

-Adding new strings require you to turn off the device and back on.  Not sure if this is by design or a defective unit.

Neither of these are true for me.

If you are using the USB power port, you will have to power cycle the unit to add a new shot string.  Mine and 3 other units I've seen are like this.  When using the AA batteries the menu buttons work OK to start a new string without turning off the power and re-starting.

For pistol, have the muzzle even or just slightly back of the front face of the unit with the correct velocity range selected for handguns.  If you have the rifle velocity range selected it will NOT display a velocity below that range so it appears to have not picked up the shot, but if you watch the unit it does trigger.

For aiming, I just lay a empty BIC pen tube in the groove and look through it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2017 at 10:31 PM, af220wa said:

I've heard that they are coming out with firmware updates for connection to a mobile app.   Does anyone have the inside track on whether it will have Bluetooth connectivity or USB.  Release date?

Emailed them a couple of weeks ago asking about bluetooth.  They said a firmware update would be released later this summer and that I should make sure I register my unit on their site so I am notified of the update.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 8:16 PM, Ming the Merciless said:

If you are using the USB power port, you will have to power cycle the unit to add a new shot string.  Mine and 3 other units I've seen are like this.  When using the AA batteries the menu buttons work OK to start a new string without turning off the power and re-starting.

For pistol, have the muzzle even or just slightly back of the front face of the unit with the correct velocity range selected for handguns.  If you have the rifle velocity range selected it will NOT display a velocity below that range so it appears to have not picked up the shot, but if you watch the unit it does trigger.

For aiming, I just lay a empty BIC pen tube in the groove and look through it.

This was one of the issues I had with mine, the turn off to add string.   

I also am wondering if I just got a bad unit (mine also missed a lot of shots, and recorded crazy low numbers ie 300-400 for pistol cartridges that should have ranged anywhere from 800-1200.  I have been tempted to order another one, especially if It is usable for indoor range.  Since I had issues with mine I never even got to try it on an indoor setting.

Edited by 78Staff

How successful would a Lab Radar unit be shooting and measuring pistol at a mildly busy indoor range?   There are plexiglass barriers between lane shooting positions, but I still "feel" rifle blast despite this.  Will the unit be confused by bullets traveling down adjacent lanes?  Or by deflected bullets off the angled backstop at 70 feet? 

Q

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Firmware is out for bluetooth.  The only issue is the menu is hard to find, it defaults to m/s instead of f/s, otherwise it will be a great addition to the labradar unit so you can monitor it and change it while someone is shooting and not have to get close to a muzzle.  

• 3 weeks later...

OK, wait a minute! I have never had to power down my unit to add a new string.. Never!!! I have always used an external battery pack and have never even put internal batteries into my unit.

On 5/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, Rwm983 said:

You do not need to turn if off to get back to the menu. In the manual, section 4.3.4 it tells you to hold down on the Armed button for 2 seconds and it will take you back to the review menu. 

^^^This^^^ is the key right here. You need to hold down the armed button for several seconds to return to the review screen. I have done this hundreds of times without issues. Literally.

I can see one unit that has a problem and might be broken/defective, but it sounds like from the posts above that several users are having this problem.

I know this is an old post and hopefully folks have figured this out by now.

Has anyone run into issues getting readings using a Comp?  Specifically the JP Comp?

Since I changed comps the Lab Radar has issues reading the velocity.  It is unable to pick up the projectile.  It works fine with pistols.

Any advice?  thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 6:45 PM, 3guns said:

Has anyone run into issues getting readings using a Comp?  Specifically the JP Comp?

Since I changed comps the Lab Radar has issues reading the velocity.  It is unable to pick up the projectile.  It works fine with pistols.

Any advice?  thanks

I have read velocities from both rifles with Comps and without.  Do you have the comp in the correct area (just behind the unit) to pick up the projectile shock wave that triggers the unit?

I have played around with moving the comp just behind the unit.  I was able to get readings using a different comp before.  I will have to play around with it a little bit more.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, 3guns said:

Any advice?  thanks

If your comp blast causes the Lab Radar to wobble too much it won't pick up the shot.  OH yeah, make sure you have changed the velocity range from Handgun to Rifle, don't ask me how I know this, DOH!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone ever experience their unit shutting off after each shot? Mine started doing that today. I’m using a third party battery pack that I never had issues with before. 

Edited to add: I was shooting indoors and muzzle was about 2-3" from the side of the unit. The output side was 2.1A on the battery pack. Again, never had issues before even with the setup and placement. I switched to the 2.4A side and it worked. Maybe the 2.1A isn't putting out enough juice but then again it worked fine previous 3 outings.

Edited by 021411

• 2 months later...

I set the unit up with fresh batteries on a no blue sky range. The range has baffle supports running down the center and poured concrete walls. I have 25 yrds. It was super cold.  I set up like I normally do aiming the unit, I ended up with some crazy readings 100 fps variations. I am sure its the unit and not the ammo.  Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have a problem with my unit.  Unit will go into arm mode OK inside and will stay lit in Orange.  Outside it starts picking up multiple shots every 10 seconds or so and recording.  Only problem is that I am not shooting.  Each bad shot says "Acquistion error" on screen and continues. There is nothing moving downrange and only difference seems to be sunlight.  It does this also in shade on the porch but not as much.  Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Schnitz said:

I have a problem with my unit.  Unit will go into arm mode OK inside and will stay lit in Orange.  Outside it starts picking up multiple shots every 10 seconds or so and recording.  Only problem is that I am not shooting.  Each bad shot says "Acquistion error" on screen and continues. There is nothing moving downrange and only difference seems to be sunlight.  It does this also in shade on the porch but not as much.  Any ideas?

Go to the settings menu and select 'Trigger Level'  and adjust the trigger level to be less sensitive - 1 is most sensitive and 8 is least sensitive.  I generally have mine set between 3 for handgun and 5 for rifle.  

So, I bought a Labradar because it's supposed to be super accurate and much simpler than the old style chronos with lights, cords, etc.  But I do pretty much all my handgun training and chrono work indoors.  So I was pretty bummed when I read in the instructions that you need a min of 25 yards to get accurate readings.  Does anyone know if this is correct?  The max I have at my indoor range is about 15 yards, maybe a little more.