Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corncob media sticking in hollow points

roklock

Hello,

After reloading I throw my rounds into my tumbler with corncob media.  It runs for about 15-20 minutes, when they come out the nose of the bullet is full of the media.

So, do I worry about it?  Mix something in media to prevent this?  Other options?

Thanks,

Steve

1 hour ago, roklock said:

Hello,

After reloading I throw my rounds into my tumbler with corncob media.  It runs for about 15-20 minutes, when they come out the nose of the bullet is full of the media.

So, do I worry about it?  Mix something in media to prevent this?  Other options?

Thanks,

Steve

how do you seperate the rounds and media? i dump mine into my dillion  media separator just like i would empty brass and turn a few times and its all good. Also put a few dryer sheets into it help with the static cling that might be holding the media in the HP 

how do you seperate the rounds and media? i dump mine into my dillion  media separator just like i would empty brass and turn a few times and its all good. Also put a few dryer sheets into it help with the static cling that might be holding the media in the HP 

I'll try the dryer sheets...I dump out into something similar to separate the media from rounds

That is the reason I went to Montana Gold 121 gr bullets, no hollow point. 

I can tell you from experience that you up can try different size media but there will still be some stuck in the hollow point and yes you need to remove it because if you don't it will end up inside the slide and cause malfunctions. Not all the time but more than likely at a big match. 

Your results may vary..........

53 minutes ago, Don_B said:

That is the reason I went to Montana Gold 121 gr bullets, no hollow point. 

I can tell you from experience that you up can try different size media but there will still be some stuck in the hollow point and yes you need to remove it because if you don't it will end up inside the slide and cause malfunctions. Not all the time but more than likely at a big match. 

Your results may vary..........

Or inside your magazine.

I've had corn cob stuck inside the groove in the trigger (Glock) locking the safety down. Nothing against Glock or those type safeties but that could potentially be a bad thing. Will not prevent the gun from working though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 5:46 PM, Alaskapopo said:

Its fine so long as you don't do it for hours upon hours. 
Pat

I don't disagree, but I don't tumble hollowpoint bullets at all when loaded.  My FMJs I do sometimes tumble loaded.

Use crushed walnut media to tumble loaded ammo in, if you absolutely must waste time tumbling the finished product for some reason.

Its closer to sand than corncob-sized, and far too small to catch in there.

Buy it as lizard bedding at the pet store.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I think guys must be using the cheap stuff from Wally World? The corn cob I use is finer than my walnut which means it's something like 12/40 or 20/40 whatever those numbers are.

rok, are you trying to remove case lube? If not, why are you tumbling loaded rounds? My method is tumble in walnut with mineral oil, then in corn with NuFinish car polish. Comes out shiny and slippery  enough to run thru the dies without any case lube.

image37648.jpg

image37657.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Thanks for the replies, I ended up buying the super small stuff from Grainger and the problem has gone away.

Not sure what the problem is with tumbling loaded rounds but it is to remove the lube. 15-20 minutes and all is good.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think guys must be using the cheap stuff from Wally World? The corn cob I use is finer than my walnut which means it's something like 12/40 or 20/40 whatever those numbers are.

I don't get it either. I've used 2 or 3 kinds of corn and walnut, the walnut has always been bigger.

Love the stuff from Grainger so far.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, goldfieldshooter said:

I can't see the reason for tumbling loaded rounds. If you need to tumble to remove case lube, you are using too much lube. Always lubed, never tumbled and never had problems.

Sure, not really a problem to leave it on. But if you leave it on it can attract a lot of gunk especially at a dirty, sandy major match. Even in good conditions my hands were black after loading mags all day. Rounds gunk up case gauges when lube left on. And they tend to turn ugly over time.