Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to be online from wherever you are at

I did some googling on this but didn't find anything decisive. I'm gonna be on the road in the van for a few weeks and would like to not be dependent on WiFi hotspots for an internet connection.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 / T-mobile

Computer: Macbook Pro / Sierra OS

Getting​ Verizon would probably get you better service. At least in South Carolina, it gets a lot better service than T Mobile, and unlimited data isn't too much more. Only other thing I would know to do is get an Air card and plug it into your computers USB

Your phone should support tethering either by cable or as a mobile hotspot if your carrier allows.  in my phone its under settings->connections->mobile hotspot and tethering.  that's usually an option depending on your plan and what your carrier charges for data

Brian, I have used my phone (s) for all internet connection for probably the last 6 years or so...I don't even have home internet. There are several programs out there to "tether" your phone and hide it from your carrier, and they also have wifi hotspot programs. I use a program called PDANET, which cost me a whopping $7 fee for lifetime use of the app. It allows you to tether your phone to the computer and connect via USB from the phone, or allows you to set a wifi hotspot and connect your computer from that...Junefabrics is the software owner. I've been using it for at least 6 years.

4 hours ago, benos said:

I did some googling on this but didn't find anything decisive. I'm gonna be on the road in the van for a few weeks and would like to not be dependent on WiFi hotspots for an internet connection.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 / T-mobile

Computer: Macbook Pro / Sierra OS

I have Verizon and only know of a few places on earth I can't get internet on my phone. I rarely even hook up to wifi. I just LTE it.