Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Orange vs Shadow 2

AussieTactical

I have tried to research this topic, this post is mainly just me trying to work out if I am understanding this correctly. The SP-01 Orange (not the TS Orange) is a custom shop version of the SP-01, with a lot of factory fitted upgrades that make it IPSC Production legal? The Shadow 2 is an updated version of the Shadow. The Orange sells for more than the Shadow 2, which implies the Orange is "better" than the Shadow 2, though I imagine the the price difference just reflects the work that goes into producing the Orange?

The Shadow 2 seems to be the new hotness, but many reports on the Orange seem to be very positive. In terms of a production division, is there anything to recommend one over the other, or is it just a matter of personal preference?

I've shot an orange before and it was super nice. If you are shooting ipsc than I'd get that. If shooting uspsa some Cajun or czc parts will get the S2 as good as just about any custom gun.

I have a Shadow Orange and it is a nice gun. The barrel is fit to slide and slide fit to frame and a Polished barrel. I had the short reset installed and the 85 combat trigger and changed the Orange grips to Blue LOK thin bogies. CZ Custom only imported 100 and they were all sold so you need to find a used one I did see a guy on BE classifieds had one for sale for a reasonable price. Good luck on your decision it may come down to what is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Shadow Orange and I had a Shadow 2. If I was recommending one to a friend that didn't have either, and they were just wanting to shoot production, I'd recommend the S2. I've had a few other S1. I personally don't think the Shadow Orange is worth the extra $$$ over the regular shadow. Especially since I replaced the grips. 

S2 is gonna come with two sets of satfites. So, if you're like me and accidentally bump the safeties up,  you won't need to buy another set and fit them. 

Also,  no need to take out mag release safety and bend it on the S2 to prevent mag not dropping. 

All you really need to do to the S2 is replace the hammer spring and its good to go!

Oh yeah and its cheaper. 

Buy the shadow 2 just for the more adjustable sights. 

I reckon resale on a sp01 orange will be worse than a used shadow 2 down here. You could always buy a 2nd hand sp01 and sell it later for the same price.

Where do you shoot?

Hi all

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the input. I am leaning towards the Shadow 2 at this stage, but still deciding. I guess there might be an "Orange 2" on a Shadow 2 some time in the future, and then I will want that :lol:

There are guys at PPLA with both guns. The Shooting community is generally very friendly. Ask them for a shot and its more than likely they will let you have a go. 

Both the guns you have mentioned are great, I would lean towards the S2 as other than changing the main spring to something lighter there is really nothing that "needs" to be done. It is competitive in stock form and is cheaper than the orange S1. 

Don’t be afraid to try other brands. I set out to by a shadow as my first pistol, I now have 4 Tanfoglios lol. Some guns just “feel” better for some shooters.

Yeah, definitely shot very well, with several shots through the same hole. I shot a Tanfo in a club match and won against 11 others in my class yesterday, so definitely liked that too. I think at this point its just a matter of committing to one of them and getting in a lot of practice with it, and in my mind the Shadow 2 is leading out of the options I have been looking at. 

On 5/8/2017 at 2:01 PM, dansedgli said:

Are you going to shoot on the 21st? 

There will be a lot more guns to try out. 

They wont let me shoot... Still on L plates :(

I need to go to the range on the 21st, so might stop in at the PPLA for a look though.