Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting classifiers

TheChef1

On 7/15/2017 at 0:05 PM, TheChef1 said:

I'm not saying go slow but don't shoot beyond your capabilities. If you get a mike or no shoot on a low round count stage its devasting to hit factor. 

but who cares? it costs you the same amount of points in the match.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:08 AM, motosapiens said:

but who cares? it costs you the same amount of points in the match.

I guess it really depends on round count for the stage. The last classifier I shot was 8 rounds I had 2 Mike's and ended with a zero HF. If you get 2 Mike's on a 30 round count stage it's not nearly as hurtful.

On 7/19/2017 at 3:24 PM, TheChef1 said:

I guess it really depends on round count for the stage. The last classifier I shot was 8 rounds I had 2 Mike's and ended with a zero HF. If you get 2 Mike's on a 30 round count stage it's not nearly as hurtful.

yes it is. maybe it doesn't hurt your stage score as much for that stage, but it hurts your match score just as much.

Actually, if you zero'd the stage, It is actually *less* hurtful than getting the same amount of mikes on a 30-round stage, because the penalties stop counting against you once you get to zero.

• 9 months later...

I started doing much better at classifiers once I started shooting them within my abilities instead of adding extra pressure on myself to do well. Now, I also started having a 20 minute dry fire session before matches at home prior to taking off and that might have something to do with it as well.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been up and down on classifiers since I started shootong. I used to take my time and get my hits. That wasn’t going well so I went hero or zero, also didn’t go so well. When I finally started shooting them like a regular stage and not worrying about it, I started to shoot them much better. 

Lots of shooters blow the classifier stages because they" try" to shoot better or faster then they are currently capable.  Shoot within your ability and as time goes on and your abilities improve with training and experience so will your classification.  

As a side benefit, you will do better at matches because your not zeroing the classifier like so many other competitors are.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to put too much pressure on myself for classifiers and it definitely affected my performance.  I decided to just treat it like another stage and not worry and i started to shoot classifiers much better.  

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming the classifiers are known before hand, its pretty easy to figure out how fast/accurate you need to shoot to make X classification since the result you need to get is known.

Lets use CM 18-04 (30 pt stage) as an example.

Shooting all Alphas, to make B you will need a HF of 3.7516 which means you will need to be able to do it in  8.00 seconds. Now go try that in dryfire. Now you have a baseline/feel for what is required. Don't think you can shoot all Alphas in 8 seconds? lets say you are going to shoot all C's (MAJOR) for 24/30 pts. To make B, you have to be able to shoot all Charlies in 6.4 seconds.

My biggest issue with classifiers is that i felt like i need to shoot fast, without ever knowing the math of what i need to hits/time.  Once you can quantify what you need to do for the expected results you want, then "all you need to do" is drill those in dry/live fire.