Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6mm Creedmoor vs 6.5

JBridges

They are both fine for long range but it depends on how much you are going to be shooting.

The 6.5 CM has a a barrel life of 2500-3500 rounds and will most likely need replaced.

The 6mm CM barrel life is going to me MUCH shorter. Probably 2000 rounds and need to be replaced.

I don't know that for sure but I'm basing it my guess off of shooting a 6.5 CM and having a friend that shoots a 6x47. He has to replace barrels about 1500 rounds.

Are you a reloader? What's your plan for the rifle? How far do you have access to shoot? What type of budget do you have for rifle AND optics?

I have a custom 6.5 CM that I had built and I shoot it every week. So far it has been easy to load for and will shoot 5 shot groups under a dime pretty regular.

dc3734970560745fef2d8d2775410887.jpg

9658cfac080eafc46b1aa0fd052c32cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice group!

I'll do some research, but likely will go with the 6.5 - more data, more parts and brass and such.

I do reload. Dillon 1050 for mass quantities and a 650 for less. Rockchucker waiting to be (re)used for precision.

Have shot IPSC and 3 gun in New Mexico, but not here yet.

Just moved to Moyock, NC and have not gotten with a club. Ranges are different here.

Long range rife is a JP heavy barrel Grendel. Shoots well, but not like that group you sent. Course, could be the shooter...

I'll probably have to sell an Open gun to be able to afford to play this game, but I do have a back-up.

Ok since you admitted you have shot open I was going to warn you. The precision game is EXPENSIVE. Bullets, brass, cleaning supplies, tools, reloading gear, ETC. I swear company's who make precision stuff just love us.

If you guys want any help on stuff just let me know. I haven't been doing this long but I researched for year and this is my second rifle. I can at least lean you in the right direction and save you some money by telling you the mistakes I made.

Just like anything it's about spending the money up front and not cheating out will make your life easier in the end.

Thanks for the warning!

A bud in NM is into this now and every time I hear from him he has something new for his toy.

I'll probably start like he did with a Ruger Precision and add to it as I get better on the trigger.

Already have a Vortex PST 4-16 x 50 I can start with.

I'll probably bug you about loads and OAL and stuff like that.

Thx again

I don't have my 30 cal can yet. I am also at 8 months lol.

It took about 7 months to get my pistol can but that was going faster. They have slowed down a bunch since my last can. I'm betting this can will take a full 12 months.

It seems they are working on form 4's from the beginning of June 2016.

I've built a lot of hypothetical bolt guns in my head the last few weeks. The latest one is a 6 Dasher. Most of the performance of the bigger 6mm's but only burning 31ish grains of powder and not cooking barrels as fast.

16 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I've built a lot of hypothetical bolt guns in my head the last few weeks. The latest one is a 6 Dasher. Most of the performance of the bigger 6mm's but only burning 31ish grains of powder and not cooking barrels as fast.

Will the Dasher feed from a box mag?

It's use in PRS matches has been climbing over the last season, if it wouldn't feed that would not be the case. A lot of guys are getting 3k+ rounds out of a barrel and speeds up to 3000fps with 105/107's. It also works well with the 110SMK in a box magazine unlike 243 or 6 Creedmoor. 6XC is also taking off in popularity.

3 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

It's use in PRS matches has been climbing over the last season, if it wouldn't feed that would not be the case. A lot of guys are getting 3k+ rounds out of a barrel and speeds up to 3000fps with 105/107's. It also works well with the 110SMK in a box magazine unlike 243 or 6 Creedmoor. 6XC is also taking off in popularity.

That is what I wanted to know. :)

We have both a 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor in custom actions in chassis setups. The barrel life of a 6.5 is a little better than a 6 but neither are anything like a .308. FWIW we got about 2,000 rounds on our last 6 Creed barrel, at 1800 rounds it was still shooting 1/3 MOA 5-shot groups at 300 yards. The energy is better on a 6.5 so it helps with better target indications and kicking up splash, but whether or not that matters is up to you. The biggest difference is the recoil impulse. We've shot our 6, 6.5, and .308's back to back to back on numerous occasions, all on rifles similarly configured (similar weight, braked, etc), all with relatively stout loads and 6.5 is very similar to .308. People say it recoils much less but I definitely don't think that to be the case. It recoils slightly less, and the recoil impulse is similar, more of a slower push. 6 Creedmoor however recoils much less than both and its recoil impulse is more like a .223 in that it's a quick sharp impulse. Braked, it's like a .223 with a lot more bark. The drift numbers are similar on our Creedmoors, shooting 105 Hybrids in the 6 and 140 Hybrids in the 6.5, so you're basically giving up is energy and barrel life with a 6. However the cost is a push because 6mm bullets are cheaper than 6.5mm bullets if you choose the same style bullet. If you can deal with the time and effort associated with a 6 (with the shorter barrel life) then I think that'd be a good option. If you want a slightly longer barrel life or want more factory ammo options 6.5 is the way to go. IMHO.

Edited by californiasushi

I feel that my 6.5 recoils MUCH less then a .308 BUT maybe muzzle brakes really tame the .308 down.

I think the 6.5 is the way to go. You get factory ammo that's really good.

Lapua brass is available

Decent barrel life

BUT your competing with just about everyone to find reloading components. That's a big drawback of the smaller calibers is they all run H4350 and that is like gold. I wish I would have bought truckloads before PRS blew up.

Like stated above the reason for the 6mms is recoil management with similar ballistic performance to the 6.5s .  I shot my first PRS style match last fall with a 223 AR(last minute decision no MOR ready) and being able to easily see the impact at every stage/position was a big plus.   

Nick 

On 4/26/2017 at 7:24 PM, gixxerjunky said:

I feel that my 6.5 recoils MUCH less then a .308 BUT maybe muzzle brakes really tame the .308 down.

I think the 6.5 is the way to go. You get factory ammo that's really good.

Lapua brass is available

Decent barrel life

BUT your competing with just about everyone to find reloading components. That's a big drawback of the smaller calibers is they all run H4350 and that is like gold. I wish I would have bought truckloads before PRS blew up.

+1 Big Time

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 11:55 AM, Dan Sierpina said:

That is what I wanted to know. :)

Hey Dan, 

FYI, the 6 Dasher does feed from a box mag, but it is a special mag with a spacer to make up for the short OAL of the cartridge.  The 6 Dasher is very popular, but requires a bit more work as you need to initially fire form Lapua brass.  Velocity is high 2900-3000fpsh.  In comparison, my 6Creed runs great on Hornady brass, (much less expensive and I'm annealing and on my 4X firing with tight primer pockets) and you can run velocities between 3K and 3100fps.   The Dasher is sweet and very popular.   I shot one the other day and recoil was very soft.   That said, I'm not sure the added work of fire forming the brass, getting special mags, cost of Lapua brass is worth it as an entry level PRS caliber.   Just my .02.   Nick-

I had the chance to do a 6 Creedmoor, but decided to do the 6.5.  I have had very good luck with the 6.5.  My little factory Ruger American is a 1/2 gun and my custom 700 is a under 1/4 with factory Hornady ammo.   My best with the factory ammo to date is a .187 and my friend fired a .208 with my rifle. $24 a box for factory ammo is tough to beat when it shoots that well.

We just built a 260 gas gun, a 6.5 bolt and a 300 win mag bolt to sell in the shop.

My son has been shooting/improving his 300 for a while now, I think he has it close to finished:rolleyes:

I will be shooting a 260, if we can find some close matches that don't interfere with our 3 gun schedule

a2nqyhAh.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

I have all the calibers mentioned here 6 creed , 6.5 and the The 6 Dasher.  Do some research they all have their pluses and minuses.  

6.5 more recoil little more difficult to spot misses from awkward positions  but fairly good barrel life.

6 creed low recoil flat shooting low recoil cheap brass or lapua brass downside is its a barrel eater

6 Dasher super low recoil, accurate with any load you put in it, I get 3020 fps with the 105's  good barrel life for a 6mm   Downside doesn't feed great in all actions might need bolt face bushed small primer round

Dasher is my favorite

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Nick Weidhaas said:

Hey Dan, 

FYI, the 6 Dasher does feed from a box mag, but it is a special mag with a spacer to make up for the short OAL of the cartridge.  The 6 Dasher is very popular, but requires a bit more work as you need to initially fire form Lapua brass.  Velocity is high 2900-3000fpsh.  In comparison, my 6Creed runs great on Hornady brass, (much less expensive and I'm annealing and on my 4X firing with tight primer pockets) and you can run velocities between 3K and 3100fps.   The Dasher is sweet and very popular.   I shot one the other day and recoil was very soft.   That said, I'm not sure the added work of fire forming the brass, getting special mags, cost of Lapua brass is worth it as an entry level PRS caliber.   Just my .02.   Nick-

Nick,

Thanks for the info. The people that I knew that were shooting the Dasher were either F class or benchrest shooters. I've too little time and cash to get involved with another game! 

2 hours ago, adamge said:

How can the Dasher run the same bullet at the same velocity but yield different barrel life from the 6C?

There is / was a theory about the Turbulance Point, using the shoulder angle and neck length to indicate barrel life (burned out throats)

This is why a 6MM Remington would have longer barrel life than a .243 Winchester. The 20 degree shoulder angle had the turbulence point beyond the case mouth, therefore throat erosion was faster.

Edited by Dan Sierpina