Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3-Gun Nation Target

I can't remember the last match where I didn't have to explain the highly technical concept of "two hits anywhere or one A" to a newer shooter, and people still manage to screw it up. This target would easily triple the time spent scoring at any match I've attended. No thanks.

This gives me a good idea for a new target.  A blank 18" x 18" piece of cardboard.  Two hits anywhere and you are golden.  Anything less and its a miss.

Probably won't fly with any of the shooting organizations or UPS.  None of them would make a cent when folks start raiding dumpster behind the local mall.

27 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I can't remember the last match where I didn't have to explain the highly technical concept of "two hits anywhere or one A" to a newer shooter, and people still manage to screw it up. This target would easily triple the time spent scoring at any match I've attended. No thanks.

It gets pretty completed when someone is shooting heavy metal and they only need one shot anywhere on the paper. It seems to throw the new shooters off a little. I always shoot twice no matter what, just because I like to make noise.

On Monday, March 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Jesse Tischauser said:

Here are the rules we use at OKC Gun club. If you think you might want to use them as well. Let me know and I can send you an excel spreadsheet to use for the scoring.

2010 Red Neck Tactical 3 Gun Rules.pdf

This should look very familier!!! New scoring???? Looks like this 8 year old system Trapr and I were using a while ago. It was very simple, score the target A, B, C, D and the program did the rest. I still like it! I wonder if this "New Scoring System" has some Red Neck roots!!!

Edited by kurtm

As folks actually seem to be taking this target seriously, I will give a more serious answer. I foresee two significant problems with the target:

1) Actually recording the specific hits for each target on an iPad will be significantly slower than the current method, resulting either in longer beep-to-beep times, or in dumbed-down stages to stay on schedule. In my limited experience of 3GN format matches, they seem to run slow anyway, and this only makes matters worse. The 3-gun world rejected USPSA hit factor scoring for exactly this reason.

2) The location of the "upper -0.25" zone is poorly defined if you are more than a few yards away - the shooter will have to get a lot of trigger time on that target to be certain he is aiming at the right spot. This makes whether they hit it or not somewhat a matter of luck. In contrast, the "upper A/B" of an IPSC Metric target is clear to anyone from any distance.

On a more personal note, I continue to dislike the politically correct aspect of the 3GN pizza box target because it implicitly attempts to deny where the sport came from. I realize I may be in the minority around here on this aspect, so I will leave it at that.

When I said "I still like it" I ment the original Red Neck Tactical scoring system! I agree with Stealthy on the shape of this "New" target and the old......not where we came from, and still not a new idea if you read that PDF I attached.

This is a Hawaiian Deluxe pizza box: A nice ring of pineapple and TWO Bonus slices of pepperoni!!!!

....and, true to life, every slice of pepperoni you eat takes a quarter of a second off of your total time...:ph34r:

ericm

Let's say F you to the rest of the 3 gun community and rename ALL the divisions and make the targets more PC than the IPSC Standard (turtle shells). Then let's complicate the scoring method. 

I'm all for finding a way to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack but, I think they've jumped the shark.

Epic fail 3GN.