Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
RangerTrace

First Classifier, first Major Match

Recommended Posts

I pulled a few strings and asked for some favors to get to shoot the IDPA classifier tomorrow so I can shoot the Silver Dollar IDPA Championship next weekend.  Sure, I've been shooting USPSA for a while, and I've shot 1.5 indoor IDPA matches lately.  I didn't shoot a single match of any kind in 2016.  

 

I'm excited.  I'm worried.  I'm totally unprepared.  

 

It is, what it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new scoring system for IDPA may have a new meaning for hero or zero.  As much as I'd like to make Expert or Master, I've got to try to shoot ACCURATELY and fast.  the hardest thing for me (other than concealment) is shooting to slide lock.  I've trained for many years to grasp the top of the slide (I'm a lefty) to slingshot the slide.  Obviously, that is quite a bit slower.......

 

We will see what happens!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you shoot the Classifier, just shoot it like a shooting test. (Don't let some knucklehead talk you into doing something wacky) Like any other action pistol sport, shoot as fast as you can call your shots and you'll do fine. My guess is you'll make expert.

 

I tried to find Rowdy's video of his recent Master run on the Classifier. It would be a good reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, IDPA and USPSA just don't match up ...

 

I had to choose one or the other -    I chose USPSA.

 

BUT, good luck ...   :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

For me, IDPA and USPSA just don't match up ...

 

I had to choose one or the other -    I chose USPSA.

 

BUT, good luck ...   :) 

No doubt, they are very different.  I'm trying IDPA mainly out of convenience.  When I started competitive shooting back in 2008, I didn't know the difference between USPSA and IDPA.  I was stationed in Athens at the time and posted a question on the 1911forum looking for matches near Athens.  Steve Speer directed me to the Tyler Good Times Shooters and their USPSA match.  Could have just as easily been IDPA.  Anyway, thats how the USPSA bug got started.  

 

I know a lot of USPSA guys bash IDPA, but I think it has a place for everybody that carries concealed.  The gear and concealment is very similar to how I carry when I'm off duty.  Nothing wrong with practicing like that.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ignore the parts of me talking. but watch my actions and listen to my splits and transitions. it makes a MA run on the classifier sound and look doable. (and i shoot far more uspsa than idpa now)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trace,

I've seen you shoot and you can make EX but you need to be sure to take the time to make your shots count. You're instinct may still be to blaze away when you hear that buzzer and your splits are quick, but I've seen your score suffer from the points down that come with it.

 

There will be fault lines throughout the classifier. So knowing where to keep your feet will be easy. And during stage 3, remember to not crowd the barricades.

 

The last classifier I shot I focused just on being the lowest points down. I didn't have anywhere near the raw times my peers did but I did have better overall times. When it was all said and done, I was 2nd place with just 6 points down.

 

Make your shots count and you'll do great!

 

BTW - I expect an update as soon as you get your score tallied. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, v1911 said:

Trace,

I've seen you shoot and you can make EX but you need to be sure to take the time to make your shots count. You're instinct may still be to blaze away when you hear that buzzer and your splits are quick, but I've seen your score suffer from the points down that come with it.

 

There will be fault lines throughout the classifier. So knowing where to keep your feet will be easy. And during stage 3, remember to not crowd the barricades.

 

The last classifier I shot I focused just on being the lowest points down. I didn't have anywhere near the raw times my peers did but I did have better overall times. When it was all said and done, I was 2nd place with just 6 points down.

 

Make your shots count and you'll do great!

 

BTW - I expect an update as soon as you get your score tallied. :D

76 seconds raw time.  92 with the points down.  Just barely squeaked into Expert.  Mater is going to take a lot more practice than I've done in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

ignore the parts of me talking. but watch my actions and listen to my splits and transitions. it makes a MA run on the classifier sound and look doable. (and i shoot far more uspsa than idpa now)

 

You certainly made that look easy.  Obviously a little less stress since it didn't really matter/count, but great accuracy for sure!!  And I had stumbled onto this video a couple days ago while researching the classifier.  

 

Thanks,

 

Trace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

76 seconds raw time.  92 with the points down.  Just barely squeaked into Expert.  Master is going to take a lot more practice than I've done in a long time.

Congrats!

Edited by v1911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should probably be embarrassed.  I've always heard C and B USPSA shooters easily make Master in IDPA.  It that is true, it doesn't say much for my current ability.  But, you gotta start somewhere, right?  And I'm looking for anything to get me off the couch and onto the range these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're just beating yourself up.

 

You haven't shot competitively in some time. You're probably still recovering from injury. Using a single stack instead of a double stack. And when's the last time you dry fired?

 

Once you get your mojo back you'll enjoy yourself more. And once you get your limited blaster, you'll regain even more of your skills. Just remember us little guys when you rise back to the top. =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...