Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching divisions

ckfarris

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran revolver this year to start, but I am at the same time putting together a very acceptable S/S rig complete with clone

backup gun.  I am trying to wear out as much brass as I can with the revolver so as to not worry about it with the 1911's.

My shooting is strictly for my own amusement so YMMV.

This year I've shot local matches in 7 divisions (all but revo) and have shot majors in 4 divisions (will be 5 at the end of the month). Bottom line...don't do what I've done if you want to get good. While it can be fun shooting many divisions, it's no way to improve. Next year I'm sticking with one, or one and PCC...just haven't decided what the one is yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started in Production with an M&P. I've since tried everything except PCC. I think different platforms suit different shooters and you have to find out what is comfortable. I like using an open holster and find mag changes so much easier in a 2011 than a 1911. I tried a DA/SA platform for a while and was horrible, instant improvement with my 2011, so I've been shooting that most of this year. As I get older and cant see my sights like I used to, I'm considering a dot for next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I found basically what divisions I like to shoot. After that I decided before jumping from one division to another to get my self classified in that particular division . After shooting SS for 8 months helped out big time when I switched to limited 10. Plus helps when shooting same platform. 

I sold my open gun this year to double down in limited (had two limited guns made), but I still want to go back to open eventually.  I think shooting that platform, you can’t help but shoot fast!  I think I’m going to stick with limited for a few more years, but I will probably get a CO for practice.  Having that red dot show you what the sights are doing is invaluable. 

Depends on what your goals are. If you want to be proficient with all of them, but not excellent at one, then continue switching. If you plan to go to the nationals or similar matches, then focus on one platform for a full year before the match. 

I have shot production, limited and open. I like Limited the best, and production next. Going back to production one match every now and then really helps with reloads. I find that my reloads in limited always improve after one production match. Doesn't hurt that my production gun is fun.

• 7 months later...

I shoot primarily single stack major all year long. Every now and then I'll get tired of all the reloading and shoot limited major. Or one of the local matches runs a 2 day format where you can shoot both days but has to be a different division each day. 

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't shot more than one type of gun in a match yet.  But I'll be branching out soon.  I feel it's good to stay with one gun to get better faster, but I also observe how quite a few of the other guys get a kick out of changing things up.  I'm sure I will too.

I'm only shooting my CZ TS this year.  I primarily soot the open version but have one for Limited also.  I have been a serial division jumper for the past several years.  I figure it s finally time to get out of B class.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 4:54 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

there ain't nuttin' better than OPEN.    :) 

Except PCC!

Pick one division for the year.  Set goals for that year.  If after the end of the year evaluate your progress.  If you feel the need to switch then do it.  Do you train or dry fire?  If you do, what division do you train or dry fire for?

Simce this old thead got bumped.  

I sitch about ever 3 MOS it seems. Guns, division.  Doesn't matter. Though, I'm kind of an idiot. So,...  

I'd say if you're new and trying to get to A or higher, I'd say pick one and stick with it. 

Ok,... Really you just pick one and stick with it if your goal is to get good!

If you're just wanting to have a good time, then do whatever. 

I haven't followed my own advice. But I excuse that by telling myself I'm still trying to find which gun and division I want to stick with. I'm giving open a try now. 

it's hard to switch divisions every weekend.  For me it takes about 300 rounds and an hour of dry fire to get switches over. 

My route was from production (loved it)

to open, to increase my speed and how fast I see things

(eventually go back to iron sights, but loving the dot at the moment.

Shooting a dot can help increase speed, which would be good for development

I started with production (Glock 35 with .40 minor). Shot that to B class. Then went to Limited and shot that for about 3 years. I can say that major power factor was the deciding factor in sticking with that for a while. I then bought a glock 34 to attempt to shoot production again, didn't last long as there was too much accuracy needed. Put a red dot on the 34 and I've been shooting Carry optics ever since. I love the dot. I don't see myself changing divisions again. I really wanted to make A in limited and I'm about 3% away but I've decided that I'm going to focus on carry optics and see how far it will take me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been shooting two years now. I shot production and dabbled with CO my first year and wasn’t serious at all. This year I got a single stack and have been really set on not changing anything. I’ve improved a lot and was planning on staying in SS for another year. Now that the year is winding down, I’m finding myself thinking about changing divisions again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m trying to be an adult and stick with Limited Major. There’s enough on my plate skill-wise to work on without switching gear. That being said, I just scored an 8-shot revolver to go Limited in ICORE. It’s probably a matter of time before I scratch the itch to try wheel gun USPSA...

Well, I have been shooting Open mostly. Last year, I thought that I would give Production Optics a try and I really enjoyed it, however, I think that I will be going back to Open until Production Optics becomes an official division in IPSC. I think it is good to try other divisions, as then you will have a good idea what suits you best.

6 hours ago, abb1 said:

Well, I have been shooting Open mostly. Last year, I thought that I would give Production Optics a try and I really enjoyed it, however, I think that I will be going back to Open until Production Optics becomes an official division in IPSC. I think it is good to try other divisions, as then you will have a good idea what suits you best.

IPSC Production Optics is official for 2019 ... and Production Optics Lite.

7 hours ago, perttime said:

IPSC Production Optics is official for 2019 ... and Production Optics Lite.

This is incorrect unfortunately. It is on trial until Dec 2020. Here is a cut of the Minutes from the 42nd GA:

Committee:: ⋅ Proposal A and B on Handgun Production Optics and Production Optics Light Divisions was approved, and will be under evaluation, unless extended, it will expire on 31 December 2020.

You can read the full minutes here: http://ipsc-france.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IPSC-42-GA-IPSC-NEWS.pdf

It is on trial for another two years. Not too sure if I feel like waiting that long.......

Edited by abb1