Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor man's 10/22 trigger job

John Thompson

The Volquartsen hammer was what I did.. works great and easy to install.  Fix the bolt-lock-back while you're in there and maybe throw on a mag release if you anticipate speed reloads in your future.

(Edited by shred at 1:00 pm on Oct. 8, 2002)

I did the Volq. hammer thing as well.  I used to race R/C cars and I had some shims for the stub axles and they fit the hammer bushings well.  

I also drilled and tapped the trigger guard and used a 4/40 set screw (from the r/c racing days) and made an overtravel stop as well.

You can buy the set screws from the little parts pins at Ace Hardware.

If my shims wouldnt have worked, I was going to take an Aluminum can and cut some out of there.

I have done about 15 10/22 trigger jobs with Clark and the high end Volq. kits.  They are pretty good, but a bit high.  Recently I had a guy want me to install a CF barrel and Volq. 2000 trigger group in his gun, and that's the cats meow!!

Thanks for the tip on DIY overtravel - good work!

I did just the hammer thing in 2 rugers - I think it nets about 95% of the gains anyone would want; frankly, I think that $200+ for the triggergaurd2000 is serious overkill when $30 to $40 for the Volq or powercustom hammer alone will get you reliably under 2 lbs. -  maybe I am still bitter about the cancellation of the Black Creek match in Area 8 due to the rimfire benchrest nationals.

DIY, I love the channel!  

I agree about the hammer though, the only downside is the pull is a bit longer than the complete kit, but after adapting to the original pull it was like WOW!!

No doubt the Volq unit is expensive, but I sighted the rifle in  for the guy because I installed a new scope for him also.    I have to say that I was still very impressed with the unit.  If money was no object I would own one, but my wife would kill me.

"If money was no object I would own one, but my wife would kill me."

Yeah, I know what you mean - my girlfriend knows how to shoot too - it was dangerous enough for us men back in the days when women were armed only with rolling pins; now they know how to use firearms, serrated knives (shivers) etc. Still not sure how to cover up ordering that .50 cal (the one I really REALLY need to have). Any thoughts on sneaking it into the house unoticed??

Carlos wrote: "Any thoughts on sneaking it into the house unoticed??

Carlos,

To sneak the 50 cal into the house you will first need to buy a new motorcycle or big screen television.  While she is staring at that and screaming at you have a buddy sneak the 50 cal in through the back door.

No, make no mistake, the wife likes to shoot, the first time she fired an AR-15 she loved it.  Presently she is saving to get a 1911 for IDPA competition.  

The problem is that she is working full time and going to school part time and trying to pay tuition is a bear!!!

I have a friend who buys nothing but black rifles, bolt, semi-auto, even shotguns.  His wife will ask "Where did you get that one?"  He just smiles and say's "I have had that one for years, I just wanted to shoot it!"  Smart guy!

Like kyle's idea best, but who can afford a harley.

Build the gun in pieces, did that with a couple AR's. wouldn't believe the a man can get away with when the people he is hiding it from aren't shooters.

buy her the 1911 for birthday/christmas... i've always wanted to do that but none of the women in my life would have not learned to use it JUST to shoot me for using it as a gift :)