Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Johrichal

Best drill for a newbie

Recommended Posts

BILL DRILLS!!! Time after Time after Time!!! Make sure and use a timer as much as possible with the PAR timer on.
 
Blake drill is more better. Train them transitions > split them triggers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had issues using a phone app for a shot timer.  I finally broke down a ordered one the other day.  It was useful for par times though.  I would set a par time and practice on reloads.  Was a big help on my shotgun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 1:23 PM, Yoakam said:

I had issues using a phone app for a shot timer.  I finally broke down a ordered one the other day.  It was useful for par times though.  I would set a par time and practice on reloads.  Was a big help on my shotgun.

For live fire I believe you need a dedicated timer. But for nearly a year I used a free app and my phone for dryfire. All you really need is something you can set to delay beep and a par time beep. This in conjunction with Ben’s Dry Fire Reloded book helped me a ton. As for live fire. Bill drills, accelerator drill, and evaluating my previous match and work on things I struggled with, ie moving in and out of positions while engaging targets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been shooting since the invention of gunpowder !

 

I just tried the 50/50 drill for the first time.

GREAT !!!!!!

The inventor should get a Nobel Prize and a bag of peanuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, Xfive said:

Single best drill for a new shooter imho is the bill drill.

 

2 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

Bill drills for days

If you’re new to practical shooting, without understanding proper stance, grip and fire control, your just wasting ammo on bill drills. If you have a lot of time and money, sure you could probably learn from bill drills at some point.  Doing drills that help with calling your shots has better dividends, then you can push speed and use bill drill as a tool to check proper grip and shot calling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50/50 headshots on steel at 10 yards. Then from a draw. Then fully loaded. Then faster 50/50 draws into center of plate. Then fully loaded at different distances. Then add in some more targets for transitions. Then change number of shots per target. Mix in 50/50 headshots once in awhile. There are endless permutations so it stays interesting and multiple skills are covered at once.

 

Watch the sights, work the tigger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 5:06 PM, HoMiE said:

 

If you’re new to practical shooting, without understanding proper stance, grip and fire control, your just wasting ammo on bill drills. If you have a lot of time and money, sure you could probably learn from bill drills at some point.  Doing drills that help with calling your shots has better dividends, then you can push speed and use bill drill as a tool to check proper grip and shot calling. 

I disagree with that opinion. Bill drills are the best way to get to know your gun. The trigger, the way it recoils and sight tracking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xfive said:

I disagree with that opinion. Bill drills are the best way to get to know your gun. The trigger, the way it recoils and sight tracking. 

When a new person starts out and says they tried doubles drill and results were pretty bad, that tells me they don’t have a full understanding of what the doubles drill is trying to teach. It tells me they don’t know how to call their shot. They most likely will hit the first shot and they have no idea where second shot goes. So telling someone to do a bill drill and fire 5 more shots that you have no idea where they are going isn’t the most productive drill. Like I said, sure you could probably keep doing bill drills and eventually figure things out, but there are better drills that focus one firing one shot and learning how to call it, then work up to 50/50 drill with one live fire and one dry fire shoot. Then work up to doubles, and then bill drills to confirm your calling shots properly. Bill drills at 7 yards can mask improper shot calling by having a good NPA or index and good grip, but stretch that distance to 15 or 25 yards see if your shot calling ability is still there as a beginner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Op, if you're still reading and interested, I'm here to tell you that the only people in this thread that have a clue are Memphis Mechanic and Homie.

 

Read their posts and ignore all others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From my experience the best drill is the basic set up for an El Pres run various ways.  Best way I've seen to do it is run it cold and film it, because that will be your most honest run, and then break that run down to its individual parts and practice those parts, then put it all together and run it again at then end.  

 

For me it was also hugely beneficial to dry fire each part a few times until I thought I was where I wanted it, then run it hot. 

 

It was also hugely beneficial to run it with the shot up side of the target (back side) facing me so I am forced to call my shots.  Tape them up on the side that isn't facing you to verify.

Edited by chenault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50/50 is great, i think.

 

Track your sights, learn to hold your eyes open, finetune your grip till the sights come back alligned, fire the 2nd shot dry to learn a good and fast 2nd pull. After some clean 2nd pulls, do some hot 2nd pulls, then repeat 50/50.

 

This did so much for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of the drill, getting comfortable behind the gun and learning to track the tights and call the shots is what’s most important.  A couple of targets set up like el prez like Chenalt said will allow you to also get comfortable with transitions. Shoot slow, watch the shots, feel the gun recoil, align it back up, shoot again etc... you’ll be wasting time and ammo if you just go out to the range and start blsting bullets all over the place and don’t realize what’s going on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest Shooting 1 shot every half second at 10 yards. With a huge focus of watching the sights the entire time during recoil. Find the correct mechanics (grip tension) to keep the sights as close to the a zone as possible and have the sights return to the same spotish as fast as you can see ( still firing 1 shot  every half second) this drill isn’t about speed but learning a visual que. Do this for 25-50 rounds 

 

then a 1-0 run this time shooting as fast as you can without moving the gun yuuuuge emphasis on sights and grip apply mechanics from first drill  . 25-50 rounds

 

Also to the above poster about not listening to anyone but Memphis and homie you forgot to mention Rowdy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe that no one has recommended reading up on the Fundamentals of practical shooting?

If I had my time again I’d read Stegger’s books and actually learn what I should be doing. Then practice that.

Doing Bill Drills is a waste of time if you don’t know when you have it right or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, Matt1 said:

I can’t believe that no one has recommended reading up on the Fundamentals of practical shooting?

If I had my time again I’d read Stegger’s books and actually learn what I should be doing. Then practice that.

Doing Bill Drills is a waste of time if you don’t know when you have it right or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All "A's" is a good sign you're on the right track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
All "A's" is a good sign you're on the right track. 


You do realise it’s a hit factor game right? “Slow down & get your hits” is generally regarded as a poor strategy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

All "A's" is a good sign you're on the right track. 

 

To date, every single M classifier I’ve shot has had one Delta, or a fistful of Charlies.

 

Shooting minor.

In Production.

 

When the A through GM hit factors come up above 8, you cannot afford to delay your shooting in order to shoot As. You have to go as fast as you can possibly shoot while staying in control, and rack up as many As as you can at that pace.

 

Click this so it goes to the site. Zoom in on GM @TimH here, as he wears the best shirt ever: 😂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt1 said:

 


You do realise it’s a hit factor game right? “Slow down & get your hits” is generally regarded as a poor strategy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

 

To date, every single M classifier I’ve shot has had one Delta, or a fistful of Charlies.

 

Shooting minor.

In Production.

 

When the A through GM hit factors come up above 8, you cannot afford to delay your shooting in order to shoot As. You have to go as fast as you can possibly shoot while staying in control, and rack up as many As as you can at that pace.

 

Click this so it goes to the site. Zoom in on GM @TimH here, as he wears the best shirt ever: 😂

 

Then why is it when a shooter gets good hits on paper they are normally satisfied with their run? Then there's a shooter that has a smokin run but starts cursing & stomping when dropping points?🤡

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Then why is it when a shooter gets good hits on paper they are normally satisfied with their run? Then there's a shooter that has a smokin run but starts cursing & stomping when dropping points?🤡

 

Because they, like you evidently, don't understand how this game is scored.

Edited by elguapo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recommendation: buy Ben’s new book “Breakthrough Marksmanship”. Read it. Read it again. Implement into your own training. If the opportunity arises, take a class with Ben at some stage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...