Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you live fire practice?

On 5/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, CZPat said:

On striker fired guns, the firing pin is flat in the front, so its cool to dry fire those no worries.  On hammer fired guns (like my CZ), I destroyed my firing pin retainer.  sheared straight through.  I fixed it with CGW parts.  Now every time I dry fire, I throw a A-zoom 9mm snap cap in the CZ. 

OUCH!  That's gotta hurt. :(  But I do appreciate the info. :)  Sorry to hear what happened, but I guess it gave you an excuse to get different/better parts, no?  But I don't blame you for throwing in the snap cap.  I'm always paranoid so I usually try and put in a snap cap even in striker fired guns but it is always a pain in the arse to put the snap caps back in the mags because of ejecting them every time you have to rack the slide to "reload".

But maybe I'll try some on my XDM without the snap caps and see how it fairs. :) 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of matches, weekly ,however I need to focus on practice that adds value and improvements.  Just throwing lead down range only empties your pocket faster.  Go in with a plan and measure improvement.

• 2 months later...

Dry fire 4-5 times per week, 30min per session and live fire 2 times per week average of 250’rounds.

I just started live fire in June and twice a week this month. I hope to keep twice a week through this time next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, tattooo said:

Not as much as I would like emoji17.png

I would probably have given the same answer, BUT, in fact, I dry fire exactly as often as I LIKE ....   NEVER!!!!

I understand the benefits of working out in the gym and dry firing, but cannot get my Fat Ass motivated

enough to get to the gym or dry fire ....    Maybe next year, when I turn 73 ....    :unsure:

I would probably have given the same answer, BUT, in fact, I dry fire exactly as often as I LIKE ....   NEVER!!!!

I understand the benefits of working out in the gym and dry firing, but cannot get my Fat Ass motivated
enough to get to the gym or dry fire ....    Maybe next year, when I turn 73 ....    :unsure:
ha ha......

I shoot a match at least once a week.  Try for twice a week though.  Fire few rounds in back yard a week... But usually just Chrono some rounds or testing recoil of different loads

Edited by Topgeer

• 1 month later...

I generally only practice once a week, but I shoot a bullseye league one night a week, and a police revolver league on the weekend.  Then a match of some kind once a month or so.

I also don't dry fire nearly enough; not even every week.

• 5 weeks later...

1 or 2 times a week. Usually at an indoor range so what I can do is limited a bit. My local range allows double-taps so that helps a bit. Dry fire is great, but I like the feedback of seeing holes in paper (somewhere close to where I thought they should be).

14 hours ago, Snowb1rd said:

Man I get so bored so quickly that I'm having a hard time keeping a routine. Probably time to try to find some new strategies but I get bored searching up that kind of stuff online B)

Mixing it up helps. So does doing shorter sessions. Go in, do your thing, leave. Like going to the gym.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:49 AM, R1_Demon said:

Do you guys do anything special for your dry firing?  Like Snap Caps or anything?  Or do you just do a regular dry fire with nothing in the mag or chamber?  What type of firearms?

Seems like everyone is posting up that they are doing a ton of dry firing (which makes sense and is good) and I just want to make sure that it is okay to do with my XDM 5.25".  I'd hate to do a ton of dry firing with it and then find out months later when something breaks or wears out then someone tells me that I shouldn't have been dry firing a striker fire without snap caps or something.

I also shoot XDm (4.5 9mm in production, 5.5 .40 in Limited) and even though Springfield and the folks on the XD talk forum assure me that dry firing is okay, I still use Snap Caps more often than not. From what I understand, it can fatigue the dreaded striker retainer pin that seems to fail for others (although mine never have).

To the OP's inquiry, I (try to) dry fire three times a week, live fire once a week about 100 rounds. Like stated above, I treat range time like a gym workout with a particular drill or skill to work on. Santa brought me a shot timer for Christmas so there will be lots of work on speed this year...

52 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I also shoot XDm (4.5 9mm in production, 5.5 .40 in Limited) and even though Springfield and the folks on the XD talk forum assure me that dry firing is okay, I still use Snap Caps more often than not. From what I understand, it can fatigue the dreaded striker retainer pin that seems to fail for others (although mine never have).

To the OP's inquiry, I (try to) dry fire three times a week, live fire once a week about 100 rounds. Like stated above, I treat range time like a gym workout with a particular drill or skill to work on. Santa brought me a shot timer for Christmas so there will be lots of work on speed this year...

Treating like a gym session has helped me keep the habit of once per week. No more than an hour or hour and a half. A set of drills already planned (Including round count, order, goals [Accuracy vs Speed], etc) and then I am out and off to other things. If you do not plan though you end up wasting time just sitting there. Worse you are not sure what you are working on, the goal associated with it, etc. 

It looks like I'll be able to attend 3 matches a month, unfortunately that's going to be it for live fire.

It would be nice to add one practice session per month, but if I have time for that I may just attend another match.

The first time I shot two of my pistols was in competition.... yikes....:wub:

I don't practice much dry fire either.  The offset drop holster took very little to get used to, and the competition mag pouches make mag changes a breeze.

Thoughts on a SIRT pistol for dry fire training? I have one, the glock one, but I have this weird feeling that its hurting more than its helping as I have run a CZ Shadow. I find myself "looking for the laser" sometimes and have to correct myself.